PoolCorp Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 1, 2018

3.7
Manny Perez de la Mesa

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people and great experience" (in 10 reviews)

• "Wonderful work environment, forward thinking IT Department, Excellent leadership in the IT Department" (in 10 reviews)

"MIT Program"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at PoolCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This overall training program really helps clear a direction for someone to follow if they want to be in this industry. Meeting new people who share similar mindset with you is great. The opportunities are endless with this company but you need to be willing to put in a lot of hard work and network your butt off to gain opportunities. I would recommend this program to new college grads or those who are looking for a career change!

Cons

Some training weeks aren't as informative as others. At the beginning it is hard to understand your true place in the branch and needs to be properly informed to all the other workers.

Advice to Management

Reschedule some of the training days. Leadership is important but not 2 weeks worth of class important. Split track week need to happen early on, operations get undertrained compared to BDRs. Upfront there needs to be more training for ops because after the program we are still scattered with knowledge while BDRs get another 6 months worth of training.

"Do not work for this company"

I have been working at PoolCorp full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are none, horrible company

Cons

They don’t care about their employees. Only care about is the stock holders.

Advice to Management

Take care of the employees and they will take care of your company. This is not happening.

"Good People poor higher mgmt"

I have been working at PoolCorp full-time

Pros

Winters are relaxed. Good people working in the company.

Cons

Upper mgmt is not connected with lower staff. The summers are brutal leading to 60 hour work weeks.

4. "Management and Sales during my tenure"

Current Employee - Sales Center Manager in Lakewood, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Center Manager in Lakewood, WA

I have been working at PoolCorp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom to make the business run the way you want once you prove yourself.

Cons

Sales Team not always held accountable for inaction.

Advice to Management

Small staffed stores are expected to perform above the level of their limited employee resources. Horizon's two and three person stores inhibit their growth. My sales Center did not start to really take advantage of any momentum we started until I had a fourth on board and trained.

5. "warehouse forklift operator"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Montgomery, AL

I worked at PoolCorp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

a very great company the guys I worked with are very professional and easy to get along with they really know there stuff

Cons

have nothing negative to say

"Pros and Cons.. as with all things in life."

Former Employee - Corporate and Field
    Former Employee - Corporate and Field

I worked at PoolCorp full-time

Pros

Worked in the field and at the corporate office for multiple years. There are advantages and disadvantages for both. I had a good career here and left on good terms for significantly more money.

Corporate:
    - You aren't really held accountable. You can suck at your job and they'll continue to move you to different positions until your impact is marginalized. I saw many people that had grown complacent with mediocrity, but were never held to a higher standard.
    - The attitude is very relaxed. People wear business casual. The pace of work and progress is slow. I attribute this to Louisiana culture, paying people less and getting lower quality in return, and the fact that it's the pool industry (not military or medical equipment, etc).
    - MIT program gives new college grads a softer landing pad for the real world. I personally enjoyed going into a competitive training program. Most people that do this have a flaw in their resume and use this company as a stepping stone for something bigger and better (myself and most of my classmates included).
    - You grow pretty close with your MIT class. I still chat with them even though we've moved on.
    -The people are generally good people. There are some hostile jerks, but 85% of the people there are well intentioned.
    - Stock is performing really well. Ultimately, this is the only thing that matters at this company.
    - The company often hires people that aren't fully qualified for their role and trains them. This is a benefit if you're trying to get into another line of work or different career path.
    - Management at the top is very sharp. Every VP and C level has earned their role and are good at it. Director level is where things start to get mediocre.

Field:
    - Active job. Constantly on your feet.
    - They'll hire people with unconventional backgrounds and train them. The pool industry is a lifestyle. The industry requires you to sit out in the sun with chemical stained clothes, so it only attracts certain kinds of people.
    - If you end up in a good/growing market with a capable team, you'll make bank.
    - Some of the best pool industry talent in the entire industry. A lot of the people in the field are the studs of the pool industry.

Notes on pool industry:
    - It's small. Really.
    - They drink like fish.
    - There's a lot of low quality pool people that bring the rest of the industry down. There isn't a great solution out there for this.

Cons

- Penny pinching, short term incentivized culture. This is primarily driven by the CFO downward, but you can see its repercussions throughout the business. Basically, the entire company is heavily incentivized on one results. This leads to accruing significant management debt (kicking problems down the road), understaffing, and getting lower quality people because they won't pay what the market will.
    - Pay less than market wages and benefits: that's why people are complacent with mediocrity or move on to other things. If you make this argument to HR or attempt to negotiate, things get hostile... but the numbers and employee turnover rate don't lie.
    - Don't invest in technology or systems: the company uses an ERP that was created 40 years ago. You only learn it through rote memorization. They're hesitant to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to technology. They pick the cheapest platforms (in basically every business unit) and accept the problems and limitations.
    - Over-promoted managers: there's several managers that were promoted to positions because they were simply the last person standing. They are not good at their jobs and hinder progress, but I was not confident they'd ever be held accountable.
    - Age bias for managers: you have to be at least 30 to be consider for any manager position here. There's an unspoken age bias. It's not a big deal though, because of the next point.
    - Not prepared for the next generations workforce: they have like 5-10 people at the corporate office that are in their 20s. They don't care to hire/retain young people unless it's for the MIT program.
    - Don't promote from within for high level positions: this is probably a good thing, but they hire externally when they need a high level position field.

Field:
    -Log jam of capable managers: I saw tons of markets where the branch managers were qualified to be regional managers, but the regional managers were making bank and not remotely close to retirement age (and also didn't have opportunities for advancement). Talented people leave because there isn't a great opportunity to move up.
    -Way too many incapable managers: there are lots of branch managers that don't care. They'll sit in their office, leave early, won't engage the customers, etc... but never held accountable.
    -Sales focused: they promote sales people to management roles more than operations people. There's a general emphasis on sales more than anything. They will rarely fire customers, even if the business is unprofitable.
    -Horizon business model doesn't make sense given the market needs and competition. Are we retail? are we B2B? who cares! we try to do retail and B2B at the same time and end up being average at both.

Advice to Management

The company continually acquires management debt by incentivizing short term performance. We didn' t invest in systems and rarely in people. It's a model that's doomed for failure unless changed (thanks to Amazon and the internet), but it's all masked by the fact that the stock is performing well. If you invest in systems and more talented people, you can do more with less, instead of throwing underqualified head count at problems.

"Business Development Representative"

I have been working at PoolCorp full-time

Pros

A lot of room for advancement and bonuses if you're in sales. On the job training and Blue Cross health insurance. 40 hours a week annually.

Cons

Jealousy among coworkers if you're in the MIT program. A lot to learn if you have no experience in the pool industry.

Advice to Management

Managers throughout the company are doing an outstanding job. Continue to keep leading by example.

"Business Development Rep"

I have been working at PoolCorp full-time

Pros

Work life balance and support

Cons

Stuck in old ways and falling behind

"Tremendous niche business with an industry that steadily grows"

Current Employee - Intern in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Intern in Columbia, SC

Pros

Management is extremely good at what they do and the environment is fast paced. Management team works hard to make sure you understand what you’re doing

Cons

There are not really any cons that Stuck out to me. Maybe a little more warehouse space would work but that is every wharehousing industries problem

Advice to Management

Keep the intern opportunities available because it is extremely beneficial to young professionals. Could recruit at the business expo at universities for more supply chain interns

"Great short-term experience"

I worked at PoolCorp full-time

Pros

Awesome team members, good working environment

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement/poor mobility.

Advice to Management

Develop the talent you already have and provide greater opportunities to current employees.