PoolCorp Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 8, 2017

1.0
Manny Perez de la Mesa

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They do have a good training program which is the MIT (in 12 reviews)

• Great people and great experience (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The nature of the industry can be quite hectic in the summer time which can require long hours (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management a bit out of touch with lower level employees needs (in 5 reviews)

"This company places little to now value in its employees."

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at PoolCorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy continually being lied to you will enjoy working here. If you want to work for less than a living wage they would love to have you. If you don't mind being exploited and taken advantage of then this is the place for you.

Cons

You have to work hard I mean really hard because they understaff their stores so their numbers look better to their investors.

Advice to Management

Stop under staffing your stores, pay a living wage and show a little respect and appreciation to those who have busted their buts so you can take 2 hour lunches and drive company vehicles.

"Never Been Treated So Badly"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Cape Coral, FL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Cape Coral, FL

I worked at PoolCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company sponsored "Fast Track Manager In Training (a.k.a. MIT) program"; A six month program that provides a challenging combination of field work and class work. Training focused on wholesale distribution, operations management, sales management, human capital management, and accounting.

Upon successful completion of the training program, MIT's can pursue open roles within the company's nationwide network of 330+ branches in either operations management or business development representative.

Considerable earning potential can be achieved with a Bonus Program based on specific performance metrics.

Met some great people along the way.

Cons

Poolcorp was deliberately misleading about participation in the Bonus Program. Upon assuming a role as an Operations manager, I was informed it would be two years before any payout would be received, instead of one year.

Poolcorp was deliberately misleading with their relocation expense reimbursement policy. Costs that I incurred and compensation I was owed for moving--roughly $2000--was denied by Poolcorp despite being clearly defined as reimbursable in the official relocation documents.

Poolcorp management ignored several reported instances from me of theft of company property and consumption of alcohol on company property during business hours by employees. Instead, they terminated my employment without cause after only 3 months out of the MIT program.

Poolcorp is neither serious about what they teach in the MIT program nor are they honest.

Advice to Management

If what you preach in your training program is something that it isn't, why bother?

3. "No Pay and No Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Slow times of the year

Cons

Horrible pay
    Difficult to hit bonuses
    No room for growth

Advice to Management

Get younger talent in higher positions to rejuvenate company.

"POOL, glad I learned alot and got out while I could."

Former Employee - I. T Department in Covington, LA
    Former Employee - I. T Department in Covington, LA

Pros

There are only a couple of reasons to even consider working for POOL. First and foremost would be the opportunity to learn. I worked in I.T. and started from the bottom. I learned alot from some very smart people. I would not be where I am today in my career if not for POOL.
    The other good reason to work for POOL is the opportunity to work with some of the best people you could meet(excluding the management people). I made alot of friends and miss alot of them since I have moved on from POOL. I wish them the best!

Cons

In this category, first and foremost, the (micro)management. From the IT Director up to the President and vice presidents of the company. They are running the company into the ground. Just look at the stock price/history.
    For the typical employee(non-executive), the salaries are very much below the industry lows. They expect you to put in 50-60 hours a week, but not compensate their employees for it. The bonus structure is non existent, except for the executives. The workers in the trenches bust their buts just to get crapped on over and over.
    The company has a very high employee turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees, you know the ones that are making you money, with respect and pay them according to market salaries.

5. "They are a terrible company to work for"

Pros

They pay crap money to employees

Cons

Quit spending bullcrap on bullcrap things

"Run away!!"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at PoolCorp full-time

Pros

Former MIT, current Ops Manager. I should start off with saying I was at the top of my training class and my numbers are good. So this is not a review of some weak employee, simply an outlook of what I see.

This company looks good on paper and is a stepping stone if you don't have many options, or if you want a couple years of outside sales to add to your resume before you move on. Then this could work for you. I would not recommend this program / organization for anyone interested in operations. Training staff was great and enjoyed my time spent in Plano, too bad little of it translates to the field.

Cons

HR does a great job of selling the company, I.E. Lots of intentionally misleading candidates during the recruiting process. They also do a good job of artificially inflating their rating on here..

This company is a complete mess internally. Tons of infighting, very low or no annual raises (you will be told otherwise) even with sales revenue continually growing, a bonus structure that is intentionally designed to not be obtainable in many locations, low base pay, and a good old boy network of people that should have been fired years ago.

Every single employee I interact with is disgruntled. Most employees are very unhappy, but a lot of them are stuck for one reason or another. MIT retention rate is somewhere below 25% after a few years.

The ERP system is a dinosaur. It's a flat system that constantly has issues with bugs. You will waste a lot of your time trying to deal with and correcting these issues. Operationally it's a reoccurring nightmare.

Executive management has an 80s sales mentality. They refuse to invest in the company because they are afraid any money spent on improving the company will hurt EPS. Which they will wave in front of you like it's the only metric that matters. Lots of lip service about how much they value their employees. They are completely disconnected from the field and day to day operations.

Lots of unethical activity and had a run in with the SEC in the not so distant past...

Join at your own risk and at the very least hopefully this gets you to think twice about it.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people and the good ones will stop leaving. I feel like shouldn't need to be said.