PoolCorp Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Manny Perez de la Mesa

Pros
  • They do have a good training program which is the MIT (in 12 reviews)

• Great people and great experience (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The nature of the industry can be quite hectic in the summer time which can require long hours (in 8 reviews)

• Middle and upper management flat out doesn't care about you (in 4 reviews)

1. "Little Opportunity, Company Politics"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PoolCorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The co-workers I work with our wonderful, at least the ones who work hard and show up. The environment is fast paced and you'll always be multi-tasking. Each day is different from unloading trucks, stocking the shelves and helping customers. You'll be expected to learn the products, how they operate and you will be asked for advice from people who landscape, install/clean pools for a living. They come here for the products and the knowledge.

Cons

Employee's who constantly screw-up, are late, take hour lunches, don't hustle, never get reprimanded. It seems you have to crash a forklift and do something serious for someone to get fired.

I've worked here three years and have only had a raise of .38 cents. Yet new hires start off at what a seasoned employee makes which does wonders for current staff morale.

You're expected to train at Horizon University and take classes on irrigation and pool products but the kicker is you never have time to do it because the managers don't want you in the back on a computer but up front helping people... so in order to satisfy corporate, who seems to think we have all the time in the world to sit at a computer and train, stores usually have a binder with all the tests and answers and you sit there and enter them in that way everyone can sign off on a piece of paper saying "Congratulations, your certified in XYZ."

Promotions are non-existent. If you're lucky enough to train an MIT you'll realize they know nothing and retain nothing and will end up in upper management making double what you make. Why? Because they have this thing called a Bachelors degree which it means they're better and entitled to a higher position then you. The thing is it sucks for MIT's as well because they don't realize that PoolCorp decides where they get a job. Is it Arizona? Is it Florida? Is it New York? Guess what you won't know until you're done with the program. It's like Uncle Sam.

Micro-managing is a killer. Nevermind that a vendor pulled out of your store to go to competitor you're still expected to meet numbers.

Sales reps or as we call them BDR's or trailer chasers play favorites and will put all their sales through a specific store even if it means that store is 30 miles away from the location and we have a store right next to the job site. Why? Bonuses of course or because they don't like a specific store manager.

The CEO says he cares but saying and doing are different things. It may not be his fault and maybe he doesn't know how bad the lowest guys and gals on the totem pole have it but he is the head honcho and thus it falls on him.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites, manage expectations and help develop your current employees who are in the trenches fighting for you every day. Value them. Realize markets change and don't threaten to "shake things up" or "fire people" if goals aren't met. Don't expect employees to do training when they're not on the clock. We have families to and unlike the upper management we don't have computers to take home and make 50k a year.

"LOVE THIS PLACE!"

Current Employee - IT Professional in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Covington, LA

I have been working at PoolCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working as a contract employee in the IT department for 6 months now, and I'm due to become permanent any day. Since day one, I have been treated with immense respect and care from management and have been given the responsibility and authority I have craved for so long. My ideas are given consideration and I am included as a member of the team in all aspects. In my previous working experience, I have never been treated as well as I have at POOLCORP.

Cons

From what I hear and have yet to experience, the health insurance and benefits could be better.

Advice to Management

Continue to treat employees with the same care and respect that you do now, but don't forget that operating as a big business with a small business mindset will only get you so far.

3. "Inside sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at PoolCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people and overall great atmosphere. The RM and BDR are awesome!

Cons

The training hasn't been the best but it's starting to get better.

Advice to Management

Take time with brand new employees to ensure they are properly trained

5. "Poolcorp is a great company to work for. Lots of opportunities to move up if you're willing to work for it."

Current Employee - Sales Center Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Center Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at PoolCorp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Really good benefits, company truck and gas card are a huge plus. Potential for really nice bonuses. Awesome job to make good contacts and friendships in.

Cons

Base salary is a little lower than it should be for the amount of work involved. Lots of false promises from some prior management.

6. "Good start"

Current Employee - Ops Manager in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Ops Manager in Jackson, MS

I have been working at PoolCorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have to play your cards right like anywhere else.

Cons

Moving up means that you have to move

Advice to Management

Do not run as lean as you do.

7. "A Solid Company to Work For But Not Perfect (like most places)"

I have been working at PoolCorp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Outstanding training program that is perfect for college grads looking for sales experience
    -Opportunities are everywhere (at the start)
    -Pretty good starting pay
    -Overall Good People in company
    -Great benefits like 401K, insurance, stock program
    -Company vehicle

Cons

With over 350 branches A LOT factors on location...

One problem is that corporate treats everyone like they are on the same playing field. Which is simply not the case when you're in a heavy weather influenced industry.
    If you're in a more diverse seasonal market hitting your numbers can be extremely challenging

-Heavily weather based business
    -Bonus is very hard to obtain
    -Salary is too low for the manager job
    -Branches run lean (but in some markets they have to because of lack of work to do in winter)
    -Micro-Management at times
    -LONG HOURS April to August

And finally.... one of the biggest cons is the customer base. Now this I'm sure depends on location but the Pool customer base is not exactly the most professional group in the world. Sure they can be fun people to get a beer with but most are horrible at running and owning a business. Terrible at managing money and are not educated. Some customers are a dream but many are a nightmare.

Advice to Management

Increase base salary for managers
    Hire more help

8. "Great Company"

I have been working at PoolCorp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible working environment, Great Career Opportunity for Recent Graduates, Senior and Executive Management are very personable

Cons

Low Base Salary compensation compared to market.

9. "They are a terrible company to work for"

Pros

They pay crap money to employees

Cons

Quit spending bullcrap on bullcrap things

"AR Manager"

I worked at PoolCorp full-time

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Poor selection of managers are taking advantage of their position.

Advice to Management

Need loss prevention.

"Sales Center Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Center Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Center Manager

I have been working at PoolCorp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable work environment, decent people, variety of work, vacation and benefits, bonuses and ESPP. Overall, a good company that performs well.

Cons

Sub par salary commensurate with responsibilities and sales volume. Managers have lost most of their autonomy over the years which dampens the entrepreneurial spirit.