Pop-A-Lock Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Locksmith"

Current Employee - Automotive Tech/Locksmith in Midlothian, TX
    Current Employee - Automotive Tech/Locksmith in Midlothian, TX

I have been working at Pop-A-Lock (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a wonderful unique experience that has so much potential and growth opportunity! I love the job, the people, the learning, and the experience.

Cons

The hours are long and there is so much that needs to be learned and it takes a long time to establish and learn everything needed to be completely comfortable and respected in the environment.

Advice to Management

Employees really can't survive on the minimum amount of pay offered while training. Some people need to be able to survive in the interim. Utilize and see people's strengths expand on those. Licenses and Moral Integrity are demanded for these jobs. Show us you know their worth.

2. "Locksmith / Roadside"

Former Employee - Locksmith/Roadside Technician in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Locksmith/Roadside Technician in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Pop-A-Lock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you get to learn and move up given no one wants to work for this company

Cons

Tax Scam do not work for them. They will over work you and under pay you. They pretend your contracted employee but in fact you are an employee of there company. This was the most miserable working experience ever.

Advice to Management

stop ripping off your employees for a bonus.

3. "Great Job, decent brand, but certain franchises need work."

Former Employee - Unlocking Technician in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Unlocking Technician in Charleston, SC

I worked at Pop-A-Lock full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay... sort of.
    Room for advancement... but abnormal hoops are involved.
    Great for the beginning worker or college student but not for anyone with even a year or two of working experience.

Cons

The pay rate is decent at first glance... you get around 30% or more of the service fee.

However there is just not enough business to really earn a living wage much less a decent one.

There is a LOT of down time as they only get a few jobs per day (and on occasion they have no jobs at all that day).

The free time you do have isn't free though as you work on a 48-72 hour on call status.

On top of that some of the calls are far away from the standard service area and are in the middle of no where. I personally drove over an hour for one job out of the service area and did it because that was the only job of that day.

You are also expected to drive your own vehicle and they do not pay mileage nor reimburse you for your fuel, oil, upkeep etc.

Furthermore they aren't really outgoing on training. Instead of offering training like any other employer who takes in entry level employees they expect you to chase down one locksmith, on your little bit of free time, because they only have one licensed locksmith.

Hes a good guy but... he's more of a here take theses tools and practice kind of guy instead of having any curriculum based, hands on, technical training that offers solid advice and assistance coupled with tried and true techniques.

Advice to Management

Pay more. Train more. Offer mileage and fuel reimbursements.

4. "Large let down"

Current Employee - Roadside Technician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Roadside Technician in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Pop-A-Lock part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Opportunity to earn more than advertised
    -Changing work environment
    -Plenty of free time when not busy
    - Meet new people and share interactions

Cons

-55 to 65 hour work weeks without the guarantee of work.
    -Very rarely do you make the money you need

Coworkers can steal calls away from you, very long days (usually 11 hours) you may work around 50 hours a week, but you might only earn 20 hours wages. Full commission is a joke if there is no work because then you're just wasting your time. Using your own vehicle is rough because you'll be adding more unwanted miles to your car. Dispatch can't seem to do their jobs correctly and sends out incorrect information and as well as the lack of getting it on their part. A regular car door opening costs $50, and we only make $10 per call? Seriously? What about the $80 calls? Nope, still $10. I wonder how much the supervisors are making on each of those calls.

Advice to Management

Offer an hourly pay AND commission so that we aren't going home with no money in our pockets for rent, bills, food, etc.
    And retrain dispatch to do their jobs the right way so that we don't get in trouble for being late or come unprepared for a different call.

"Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Road Technician in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Road Technician in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Pop-A-Lock (More than a year)

Pros

If you can handle the hours, this is an excellent company to work for and the pay is great. I was a roadside assistance technician. This position is on call 24/7 during your 5 day work week. You are paid a base hourly plus commission for each call.

Cons

Long hours are hard to get used in the beginning. No benefits. Alot of wear and tear on your car.

Advice to Management

Try to keep drivers closer to their homes, so they can go home after a call, not sit in a parking lot for hours waiting for the next call.

6. "I love my job."

Current Employee - Locksmith in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Locksmith in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Pop-A-Lock full-time

Pros

Awesome owner
    Not stuck in an office
    Learning new things everyday
    Never thought I'd be making over 65k a year at my age(23)
    Your income is partially up to you on how much you advertise and set up accounts in your community
    Company gave me a vehicle and I don't pay for anything, I just make money.

Cons

The hours can get rough sometimes. Working 7AM to 12PM is not uncommon

Advice to Management

Nothing, the owner does a great job and all of us are earning together which makes it the best part. The boss appreciates us and we appreciate the boss, keep it up

"tech"

Current Employee - Tech in Lexington, SC
    Current Employee - Tech in Lexington, SC

I have been working at Pop-A-Lock (More than 10 years)

Pros

on call not too bad to balance

Cons

you drive a lot
    you use your own vehicle

8. "Better than most call centers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temple, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temple, TX

Pros

Always changing which makes this call center job interesting. Management has a sense of humor & is always lightening up the place. Owners are real nice & let employees take loans when financial problems hit.

Cons

Not that much room for advancement & some employees get away with being late too much and calling out on weekends "sick"

Advice to Management

Some coworkers should be fired cause they are always messing up or late.

9. "tech"

Current Employee - Technician in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pop-A-Lock (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for. All the bosses are nice

Cons

It wears down your personal car

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work you are doing

"don't work for them"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

You meet new people and get some tip money to pay for your lunch and gas but that's about it

Cons

Management sucks they're never willing to help out especially when you have a wife and husband and management conflict of interest you have to use your own car and beat up your car you put miles on your car and don't lose any tools you are responsible for everything that is given to you they will rip you off even the phone clip it will charge you $60 for a whole new OtterBox they don't pay overtime no sick days you call out you have to make up your time for what reason if you're not getting paid hourly I don't understand that they claim your mileage at the end of the year they will work you like a dog and give no incentive for anything