Pop Art Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Tom Paul

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A wonderfully rewarding place to work"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at Pop Art full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Pop Art are some of the most talented and genuine people that you will meet. It is an environment that fosters learning and collaboration. Everyone in the engineering team is required to have an independent development plan that allows them to explore new and unfamiliar technologies as part of their professional development. The office environment is generally relaxed and inviting. The management is very down to Earth and approachable. The benefits are pretty great and work/life balance is encouraged. People are always recognized for their contributions. Employees are trusted to work autonomously and are never micromanaged. Ultimately, working at Pop Art felt like being a part of a family run business. If the opportunity presented itself, I would jump at the chance to work with Pop Art again.

Cons

There are some inefficiencies regarding QA and testing for custom software. The workload can get pretty heavy during crunch time with multiple projects to juggle. Employee retention could be better but in the tech industry this seems to be pretty common.

Advice to Management

It feels weird giving advice to management that has been in the game way longer than I have. However, the way that Pop Art runs itself (outside of a few QA and process issues) is pretty flawless in my opinion so the only feedback I think might be helpful to offer is related to the direction of the agency. I really look forward to the day that Pop Art is able to switch over to a SaaS business model because I feel that the uncertainty that comes with relying solely on client work is the biggest constraint that the company faces. I think management is doing the right thing by seeking out new clients to build relationships with. During my time at Pop Art, I felt that we were a bit stifled from being beholden to a single client. I feel that some of the products that Pop Art is trying to build might be difficult to push in a saturated market. There are definitely things that Pop Art does better than anybody else and, in my opinion, those are the projects that should be focused on when the agency starts dipping its toes in the SaaS market.

2. "Software Developer"

I have been working at Pop Art full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team is great to work with. The benefits are nice, and they go a bit beyond the standards. They allow flexible hours, so you can come in early and or later.

Cons

Their development process is flawed and requires some work to make it less painful. Management is weak.

Advice to Management

Step it up. Recognize your team and help them grow, rather than hiring out new positions and preventing your team from moving upwards.

3. "Rare & Refreshing Agency Environment"

Pros

The govern by respect, not by fear, mantra is espoused in most every facet of the biz. Each team member is considered to be a leader in their own space and fully capable of owning their role and operating autonomously. The ownership's continued commitment to improvement, reflection and humility demonstrates a confidence rare to come across in that capacity & fosters a safe, transparent, and motivating workplace.

In my career I have witnessed agency office environments so lax/focused on being "cool" that it disrespects an actual work environment, and I have seen environments hellbent on milking every drop of their employees' lives and pocketbooks. Falling no-where close to either of these extremes, Pop Art manages to strike an optimal balance between dedication to craft and top-tier effort without sacrificing a collective fun-loving outlook and appreciation for each other.

Staff is compensated in benefits, recognition, time-off/schedule flex, promotion, trust/honor, and wages in a way that brings top talent & positive people together collaboratively and honors the commitment everyone has to the success of the company and the clients.

Physically the office is headquartered in as central of a location as you can get in PDX - located smack-dab on the spot the four corners of the city meet.

Expansive, open office with windows surrounding & an iconic panorama of the Portland cityscape. Comfortable spaces to work or reflect, such as the game/music lounge, break-out rooms, mini movie theater, always stocked kitchen. Massive main conference room slash event space is as impressive as it is valuable to hosting clients and industry mixers alike.

Established business with 2 decades of experience, yet still not massive & unwieldy, and continuing to push into new spaces that can provide value to their client base rather than stagnating in status quo.

Cons

Parking is a bit limited, but this is par for the course for any downtown area agency. However this is mitigated through the many options & reimbursement the company provides.

Fairly minor beef, but the new condo high rise built next door blocks a small part of the idyllic Portland skyline view. Still plenty of great view, and all the new dining options will be nice to have nearby once the construction is complete.

Advice to Management

As market share and industry challenges inevitably present themselves, stick to the core principles that are fostering the company's current stability & growth curve.

"Turning a new leaf"

I have been working at Pop Art full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ownership changed hands a few months ago and things have vastly improved all around. The company is a place where we really come together to work on projects we believe in and have genuine input in. We're free to suggest ideas and execute on them by doing what we do best, learning and working together. Micromanagement is gone and employee autonomy and drive have taken the front seat for how projects move and develop.

Specific to my role as a developer, the department has grown significantly in both the number of people and the amount of skill the team has over the past few months with Ethan leading the group. We've created a very healthy working environment where the developers have a lot of freedom in how we go about our work. Sprints and agile are gone in favour of a milestone based commitment schedule that has greatly improved visibility into what we're working on as a team. We have also started using tons of new technologies in our development processes that make working here incredibly fun (ES6, Docker, CI, Node.js, Ember, React, etc).

Cons

The office is still a little out of date, it's being worked on and is expected considering the transition but as-is it feels a bit bland.

There are also currently no slack days for developers and team members. That is also something being worked on and because we work with so many new technologies the work itself feels a bit like slack time because of how much reading we get to do.

Advice to Management

Keep going on the path we're going on. I think the company has changed course for the best and we're heading towards awesome seas. The autonomy that has been handed down to the employees has been massively beneficial and insight into what's coming up has been excellent.

5. "A positive, encouraging and fun place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pop Art full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The new ownership change has provided a refreshing, open-minded and positive work place. In my 20 years of being in the workforce, I have never felt so happy coming to work. I love the service we provide, the variety in my workload and the balance of work & home life. Pay is competitive and the benefits are great. We have Happy Hours, a Ping Pong table, fun outings, and healthy snacks. The staff here is hard working and enjoys what they do. Couldn't recommend it enough; overall a fantastic place to work!

Cons

Nothing, that's what makes it so great!

Advice to Management

Keep up the vision and momentum; we can achieve amazing things!

"The Worst"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pop Art full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are smart, caring and fun individuals.

Cons

Management is horrible. I really can't overstate this enough. The CEO is a hot mess that is impossible to work with. If you are a developer you will largely (not completely) be spared from his insanity; if you are in client services... doomed! His complaints are truly never ending. He will never offer support, sound advice or compliments on a job well done. He will, at every turn, look to find fault with your work. This is his style of "mentorship".

There are plenty, plenty of other agencies in PDX. Do your self, your family and loved ones (as they will need to listen to your laments on the daily should you choose to work here) a favor and work ANYWHERE else but here.

Advice to Management

Hey there Mgnt. stop me if you have heard this one before..... :) Get Steve out of there! Manage from afar, Steve. Just because you are versed in reading the latest and greatest from business periodicals (that have nothing to do with the actual business you "run"), can put together a spreadsheet and are relatively competent in grammar (not that you proof read your emails - you should do that more often, really, you should) that does not make you a competent agency player. I fail to see what value you bring. You have no sales acumen, no tech chops and are horrible with people. I mean come on, you are really bad with relationships.

Pop Art Response

Nov 12, 2015 – Executive Assistant

Note: in an ownership transition effective July 10, 2015 Tom Paul became the sole director of the company. On August 1, 2015 he assumed the title of President (and CEO).

"Pop Art is a great place for you to challenge yourself to continually improve."

I have been working at Pop Art full-time

Pros

Pop Art really invests in people, both in their capacity as individuals and as part of a team. The office is a collaborative, creative environment where people are encouraged to learn from one another and support one another. Employees are smart, personable, and eager to work together. There is a great deal of room for personal and professional growth; I've always felt supported by management to pursue my career goals. Lots of great benefits (healthcare, snacks, ping pong, company events), good sense of work/life balance, and a really cool new office space.

Cons

The fast-paced nature of the company can make it tough to wrap your head around ever-changing requirements. Expectations aren't always clear beyond the vague "do great work," so a sense of discipline is a must here.

"Learn, create, iterate"

I have been working at Pop Art full-time

Pros

-awesome co-workers: I am surrounded by people who really know their stuff and are willing to teach and collaborate
    -growth opportunities: I've been given room to learn and stretch my skills from day 1, as well as given the support to do it well (internal teaching opportunities, external events and training, etc.).
    -office space: The new office space is in a cool location and has a really good vibe. Conducive to creativity and collaboration.
    -agile development practices: I really like our new agile methodology — we're focusing on continual delivery and improvements through multiple iterations, and it makes me optimistic for the future.

Cons

-fast-paced, changing requirements: the nature of the business is very fast-paced, which is hard for some people’s working styles. And we can rarely pinpoint the exact requirements at the beginning of a project (again, nature of the business), and this can be frustrating at times.

Advice to Management

Trust your team and give them room to show their stuff. Keep hiring awesome people.

"Pop Art is an agile, creative and fun company with a great vision and the people to make it a reality."

Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pop Art full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The switch to agile from waterfall has greatly empowered the team to self-direct.
    Constant opportunities to work on new technologies.
    Smart, curious, T-shaped teammates who ALWAYS have your back and take pride in their work.
    A management team that believes in, and looks out for, its employees.
    A culture that challenges everyone to strive for continuous improvement.
    Great career advancement and personal growth opportunities.
    Good benefits including Regence PPO with $500 deductible, 401k matching, training budgets, flexible work hours, team events, ping pong.

Cons

The fast-paced environment doesn't work for everyone.
    Lots of distractions and spontaneous collaboration, which results in creativity and innovation, but requires a great deal of task-switching.

Advice to Management

Continue hiring great people, stay try to your vision for the company.

"Unlimited potential, aggressively smart, creativity respected"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pop Art full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The greatest thing about Pop Art may be that it knows how to hire. The deep skill sets and talents of my co-workers continually unfold, and there is a thoroughly ingrained team mentality.

Senior management has been with the company for nearly 20 years, and are seasoned listeners/champions of good work -- I always feel respected. You have to be smart to work here, and we work hard, but in this structure I feel we have the latitude to write our own ticket to the future. It's a positive environment where the creative process is valued as much as the engineering that brings it to life.

There is empirical proof of merit-based vertical mobility within the company. The health plan is as good as any I've seen, compensation is generous, and the perks (transportation credits, much more) make me feel fairly VIP.

Important to note: the vibe in the office is great. Joking, friendships, out-of-office activities are all normal, across the board. A very pleasant and supportive work environment.

Cons

Self-direction skills are important. Micro-management is not spoken here.