Pope Transport Reviews

Updated May 1, 2020

3.5

"Good company so far... but needs a little improvement to stand up to its competitors (wilcohess/speedway, sheetz etc...)"

4.0
    Current Employee - Driver in Selma, NC

I have been working at Pope Transport full-time

Pros

Pretty good pay, you can earn between $1500-1800 after taxes/$2500-2800 before taxes every 2 weeks. About $60k to $65k a year. dispatchers run you hard on the weekends where you make most of your money. We always have brand new equipment. Automatic volvo trucks!!! Terminal manager is fantastic. You are NOT a number here, you are family. Good benefits including medical dental vision, 401k, vacation pay and 9 sick days a year. Management is understanding when it comes to personal and family issues. New building with driver lounge!! Dispatchers are great

Cons

Slows down in winter time like any other gas company. Having days off during the week and working weekends. Alot of stores we haul gas to dont pay enough for the amount of time it takes to get to them while others pay really well. Alot of stores we go to are a pain to get in and out of especially when you get sent to raleigh/durham in rush hour traffic. Things happen and sometimes you arent able to finish all your loads so you end up losing some money which is the main reason why i wish we got paid hourly. Dont make the dispatchers upset or you will regret it. Get along with co-driver or you will also regret it by starting at crazy times. Safety meetings and surveys are pretty useless and waste of time. We as drivers express our opinions on where we need improvements in the company and nothing ever gets done anout it and if upper management does do something about it they do so at the expense of something else. For example, we get a pay raise but insurance rates go up, we get $15 to jump from terminal to terminal but we no longer get split loads or split drops. Why bother changing anything then? Lower level management like dispatch and terminal manager are great but everyone above the terminal manager (upper management) needs to go. Get someone up there who knows how to run and manage a company.

Pope Transport2015-11-10
  2. "No Internal Communication"

Former Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in North Augusta, SC

I worked at Pope Transport full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They attempt to help you with money when freight is slow. Also seem flexible when you request or need time off. The pay was great as long as the freight is available. L⁰

Cons

Next to zero communication between management and dispatch or between dispatch personnel. Seems nobody was ever on the same page. There were also a LOT of promises made, with very little follow through. Very high turnover among dispatch and drivers.

Pope Transport2020-05-01
  3. "I have enjoyed my time here at pope transport"

4.0
    Current Employee - Fuel Delivery Driver in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Pope Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are really good to work for and they are very family oriented. This is the best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Long hours and the pay could be a little better. You can make a living working here.

Pope Transport2014-11-12

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 3 reviews