Poppin Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Work Happy #always"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Poppin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, people and the product is amazing!

Cons

nothing here to comment on...

Advice to Management

keep being amazing!!!

"Executive VP"

Former Employee - EVP in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - EVP in Neenah, WI

I worked at Poppin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A family owned company composed of excellent people

Cons

Financialy very weak and has no strategic approach

Advice to Management

I have given my advises in the past.

Aug 23, 2017 – GM, Direct Business

This review does not come from a past Poppin employee. Poppin is a VC-backed company, not a "family-owned" business and has not had any past Executive VPs who fit this profile.

Chris... More

"Extremely fun!!!"

Former Employee - Furniture Designer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Furniture Designer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Poppin (More than 8 years)

Pros

The work was engaging, stimulating, and fun!

Cons

I had too much fun at Poppin.

Advice to Management

Nothing

"Poor management, Cliquey environment"

I worked at Poppin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Unlimited vacation
    -Kitchen: snacks, espresso, coffee machines
    -Dog friendly

Cons

-Cliquey environment
    -Management doesn't advice, feedback
    -Favoritism
    -Promotion contingent upon start date, not metrics, growth, success
    -Not Work Happy
    -Saw and heard of the hiring and firing rounds. Always growing too fast and quick to trim the fat

Advice to Management

Lot of talk about reaching out to upper management. They asked for feedback but feedback stayed at the bottom.

Aug 23, 2017 – GM, Direct Business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Admittedly, as a growing company, we are still defining best ways to approach employee growth and promoting employees from within. That said, we are... More

"Work Disorganized + Stressed (Not "Happy")"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Poppin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great office location
    - Fun and compelling products and branding
    - Strong design story

Cons

- Unorganized and reactionary approach from management/leadership
    - True company culture is diametrically opposed to the "Work Happy" mission of the company. Cliquey sales environment and blatant favoritism hurts everyone and leads to an environment of mistrust.

Advice to Management

- You can't create a great company culture from the top down. Practice what you preach!
    - Organizational problems don't disappear if you ignore them long enough. They just get worse.
    - Rampant turnover is not helpful - hire strong candidates that you can actually afford to keep so you don't have to fire scores of people every few months.

Aug 23, 2017 – GM, Direct Business

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. As a growing company many fast decisions have to be made everyday, which can understandably feel disorganized or reactionary. I can ensure you that... More

6. "Amazing place to work!"

I worked at Poppin (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful team, fun events, exceptional CEO and leadership team. If you work hard, you are rewarded.

Cons

Obvious start-up issues, but the team was able to overcome them and thrive.

"Job, not a career"

I worked at Poppin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office space in Flatiron and cool (but over priced) products.

Cons

Cut throat environment for sales and have goals that are only achievable if you work 14 hour days (NO work life balance). They also have no clear way of splitting up accounts which makes it hard for new hires. It is also really difficult to sell over priced office supplies (the products are really cool, but very expensive).

Advice to Management

Invest in making people better at their jobs and management that is there to help. Be clear about company goals and initiatives. It is a flat organization so make more internal promotions and a better career ladder to give opportunities to employees. It's simply a place for a job, not a career.

Aug 23, 2017 – GM, Direct Business

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While we try to maintain a fair round-robin system for new accounts, there are inevitably situations where we need to take in to account tenure... More

"Clueless"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Poppin (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice enough people, but overall nothing amazing.

Cons

Company has no idea what they are doing, hire people to meet quotas and numbers, it is all for appearances only. Unless you are invested in the company as someone higher up's friend, you will be dispensable according to the company's expiration date which is wholesomely dependent on their budget.

Aug 23, 2017 – GM, Direct Business

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. As a growing company many fast decisions have to be made everyday, which can understandably feel confusing. We strive for a culture of transparency in... More

"The Momentum of Growth"

Pros

I love the collective drive of the team to make this organization better. How many opportunities do you get to start with a company from it's initial stage? The people who work here get the opportunity to put their stamp on the organization. It is a challenge, but you get to see and get recognized for making things better for the customer and the organization. The environment is also fun. If you like taking on a challenge in a collaborative environment, this is the place. I love the team.

Cons

With growth there are challenges. We don't have deep pockets to buy solutions, so it requires a lot of hands on, spreadsheet-type analytics.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize and reward those that do a great job for the organization.

"A great place to call your work home"

I have been working at Poppin full-time

Pros

The Poppin culture and sense of community is unparalleled, especially in New York City. The employees here genuinely care about each other and the company invests in the people at the company. It's a great place to learn and allows for growth within your role and in the company. Everyone is willing to work together toward a common goal and there's no sense of competition and needing to step over people to move upward in the company. Hard work and results are rewarded in every department and the upper management is very involved in the weeds of the business, which is also rare to find at many companies. Poppin makes an effort to make work a place where we can all enjoy ourselves (summer lunches, happy hours, volunteer opportunities, etc.) and also work hard to achieve our company goals.

Cons

It's an incredibly fun and enjoyable work environment with lots of autonomy. Everyone's given a chance to take their position and put their own personal spin on how they tackle their job. For people who need more structure and boundaries it might not be the right fit. It can be a challenging environment where you need to be self-driven, but willing to ask for help.

Advice to Management

Generally speaking our management team does a great job of communicating, mentoring, and growing the teams here at Poppin. As small as our company is, it would be great to hear more frequent updates on the company overall even outside of our existing all hands meetings. Continuing to acknowledge strong performance and finding ways to reward the results of all teams will help keep our #workhappy culture alive!