Porch Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Matt Ehrlichman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great leadership and great people who share successes/wins and take ownership for mistakes (in 19 reviews)

• Free lunch Fridays, keg always on ready to go after 3pm and ping pong whenever you want it (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The middle management is horrendous (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management either doesn't see that some managers are promoting the high turnover, or just plain don't care (in 7 reviews)

1. "Very Misleading"

Former Employee - Call Center Agent
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent

I worked at Porch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice, friendly working environment, mostly younger 20 somethings with lots of fresher ideas and technical skills that better than yours. Smart people. Good hours, good pay.

Cons

Lots of drinking, little productivity, no real product to sell. You will be selling leads and my job as a call center agent was to DNC people on the call list, most of whom had already been called several times and were very annoyed. So, you need to be thick skinned if your going to work here as a call agent, also very high expectations and lots of pressure to make daily goals which were unrealistic. Lots of chatter and cattiness and office gossip, a little nepotism as well. They don't really have any idea where the company is headed. It could all end tomorrow. Who knows? If you like job security, don't work here.

Advice to Management

I think they need to stop with the telemarketing. No one likes telemarketers.

2. "Great place, great people and innovation everywhere"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Porch full-time

Pros

As an engineer, you get a massive amount of freedom on what and how to implement the requirements. Want to upgrade to newer tool than what you are working on now? Make the case, add a story and work on it in the next planned Sprint. Got a better way to do development for the company as a whole? You can offer up those suggestions and if you get win over enough people, the process will change.

The people are all nice, caring and hard working. Everyone here wants to get their work done but also cares about the product and how the process affects the customer and their experience.

Cons

I don't have a con at the moment.

Advice to Management

Continue to be great.

3. "MDR"

Current Employee - MDR Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - MDR Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Porch (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for growth in your role.

Cons

Parking is sometimes tedious and limited.

Advice to Management

More snacks in the break room please

4. "SDET"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in San Diego, CA

I worked at Porch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best people to work with

Cons

They moved to Seattle and shut down the San Diego office

5. "Great Start Up"

I have been working at Porch full-time

Pros

The company's values are top notch and they make sure they hire quality individuals that fit those values. They do care that the company makes a profit, but they care for their employees, too.

Cons

The only con has to be that things are sometimes unorganized, but that's hard to imagine not happening when your company is still very much a start up.

Advice to Management

None.

"Strategic Account Manager"

Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Porch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Fast Paced - Tons of lateral and upward mobility
    • Freedom - Nobody looking over your shoulder. The kind of place where you can get your work done in your own style
    • Lots of smart, lovely people
    • Unlimited Vacation (for certain roles)

Cons

• Felt a little hectic at times. Tons of people let go. It could make you feel concern for your job security or for the security of the company as a whole.

"Total money grab"

I worked at Porch full-time

Pros

Non that I can think of

Cons

All facade, no real product.

"Entry Level Call Center Job"

Former Employee - Local Market Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Local Market Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Porch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay isn't bad over here, although when you are intitially hired, $32k/year is really low for a seller. They don't micromanage you which is nice and the office is a beautiful facility. It's not hard to make money here as long as you just dial the phones. I found the job itself to not be that bad and manageable.

Cons

The sales floor is a big call room and it gets really loud. They have this bizarre practice of snapping their fingers whenever a sale or if someone is making a good pitch which is extremely obnoxious along with ringing a bell every time a sale is made. Many sellers felt it created animosity when a bell was rang; others did not want to ring the bell because of the unnecessary attention being brought upon them.

There is really no chance to advance from this position. A few have, but there are seasoned sellers with many years of experience who have never been advanced to another department.

They hire the same type of person there. It is the same 20 something person out of college with a heavy leaning towards a fraternity feel in the sales team. So if you are a seasoned seller and this isn't you, or it's your first job and you just want to keep your head down, it's not a very diverse environment. I felt like I was a Freshman in college again.

Also, few if any people hired there have any experience in the home improvement industry which is quite alarming given the product.

It's a call center environment first and foremost. Allegedly you are salaried, but you can't punch in when you want and they watch your clock punches just like a retail job. Taking days off even when you're hitting goal is not accepted.

Advice to Management

Hire a more diverse staff and try and find people who actually know something about the home improvement industry. Go back to the days of salaried sellers and don't be so uptight about always having to be there if goals are being met. As a company you don't have to pay your sellers as much if they aren't eating up hourly dollars having meaningless conversations because they have to be there.

9. "Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Porch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team culture is incredible. I've never seen a more supportive and team oriented environment like this before. From my peers to my manager to the VPs and Executive team, the people here are amazing.

Cons

The pressure of performing can be intense at times. Everyone here is focused and constantly raising the bar so it keeps me dialed in and makes me uncomfortable when I'm not.

"Blindsided"

Former Employee - CSM in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - CSM in Seattle, WA

I worked at Porch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome peers who all grind and deal with the same conflicts every day together
    Was able to really grow within my role and learned so much having to constantly pivot and deal with difficult conversations

Cons

Product was mediocre at best and having to fight to keep customers that rarely received any sort of return just felt wrong
    Performance plans were made but not utilized, instead you were randomly fired
    Remove Transparency as a company core value - execs preached how good the company was doing in every all-hands meetings when a VP later told me that this last year has been its worst yet for the company

Advice to Management

Find some way to start over - you have lost the trust of so many of your customers and the respect of employees who used to or currently still do work for you.

It really is sad to see how the entire culture of the company did a complete 180 and how so many people have been fired or left on their own accord. I left the company in the best of terms that I could, and I know that Porch would not be able to say the same for me. Being fired was a blessing in disguise because I am now so incredibly happy with where I am currently working.

With that being said, I really enjoyed my entire time at Porch. I grew so much within my role, further developed my career skills, met some amazing people and worked under some amazing management. Even though I do not agree in the manner in which I was fired, I am thankful for everything that Porch taught me and really wish the company the best.