Porous Materials Reviews | Glassdoor

Krishna Gupta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "machinist"

I have been working at Porous Materials full-time

Pros

I can work whatever hours I want. Lots of overtime.

Cons

There is no engineering. It's all trial and error. I make the same part 5 times and it still doesn't work. I have to make my own prints. Company owner is constantly looking over my shoulder asking why parts take so long to make. I try to order tooling and he changes order to cheaper , low quality tools.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with more respect.

"Nightmare Boss"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Lansing, NY
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Lansing, NY

I worked at Porous Materials full-time

Pros

The coworkers. Everyone there except the CEO is great.

Cons

CEO will constantly interrupt your work by either telling you to work on something completely separate from your current project, or that you've been doing your project wrong and to do it a different way instead. Either way he will do it without knowing/understanding what you were doing or why.

I have literally been yelled at for doing nothing and then had him demand a written report of my work. In that very minute I handed him just such a log, which was immediately dismissed as not what he wanted without him looking at it.

Also, CEO has absolutely no business ethics. He will happily cheat customers without a second thought. To the point where I'm pretty sure some of his business practices are actually illegal.

Advice to Management

Hire an experienced shop manager, compensate them fairly and allow them to make meaningful business decisions without direct oversight. Go into partial retirement and focus on sales. Allow the manager to run the day-to-day, and stay out of the building. You just stress everyone out, and you are UNIVERSALLY LOATHED there.

"Bad"

I have been working at Porous Materials full-time

Pros

people there are very helpful.

Cons

The owner is yelling all day long around.

Advice to Management

release Owner.

"The Worst"

I have been working at Porous Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekends off. First shift. Mon through fri.

Cons

My god, where to start? I can assure you that any positive reviews posted here were done by management doing damage control. I have worked for numerous companies over the years and this is hands down, the worst I have ever worked for. Management is horrible. Completely clueless. Much yelling and belittling of employees. Poor communication. Zero quality control. No system in place for storing, updating, revising and passing on information. Zero training. Rampant racist, homophobic, misogynist language. Shabby finished product I could go on and on. This company is rotten from the top on down.

Advice to Management

Have the CEO stay home.

"Laboratory Technician"

I worked at Porous Materials full-time

Pros

Nothing, there is literally nothing good about that place.

Cons

The man who owns the company is the most disagreeable person I have ever met.

"Hell on Eath"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, NY

I worked at Porous Materials (Less than a year)

Pros

Form a quick bond with co workers to cover yourself when in the line of fire. Monday - Friday, weekends off.

Cons

Getting screamed at daily. Hearing the "f" bomb atleast 50 times a day. If your American being told "you can't do the job let the Indians do it" instead f training the owner will tell you that he knows how to do it but will not teach you, figure it out yourself. This is the worst place in the world to work. There are no words to express this company.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES and watch both them and your business grow. And honestly you should be nice to Americans. It's our country that you live in!

"Workers"

I have been working at Porous Materials full-time

Pros

The workplace is a great place to build custom machines for the world. Great place to obtain knowledge. Great place to grow.

Cons

people who get hired for many positions lie during hiring. pmi is a a company that needs and requires people who are very experienced at what we do here! NOT people who cannot work on there own or people who say there qualifications are good when they know nothing about the job at all. if you are a machinist then you have to run the mills and lathes. if one cannot then they will be replaced. same goes to assembly or any department. pmi cannot and will not defend anyone who cost the company 1000,s of dollars.

"Read all reviews and do not believe any of the positive posts."

Current Employee - Worker Bee in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Worker Bee in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Porous Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a job. The people you work with are quite nice and it is fun to share the passing day with them.The owner will let you drive his car if you have no transportation. I have heard of the boss giving personal loans but this is rumor.

Cons

PMI has a real problem with consistency. The machines manufactured never have blueprints and rarely function properly. Safety in all aspects is greatly ignored. If I could give no stars for this review I would. The wage is low for every position compared to similar jobs. Many people are actually doing 2 to 3 jobs and are only being paid for 1. Nothing is sacred as everyone knows how much you are being paid, when you will be fired and anything else personal as HR and management tell everything personal to anyone within earshot in the company. There is a genuine health risk in the mercury lab and one employee has tested positive for high levels of mercury yet nothing has changed. The data sent to customers is quite often inaccurate as the machines do not function properly, are inconsistent or modified to get the results. The owner will yell and rant as well as tell employees that other employees are bad at what they do or that they are worthless. Owner will yell at people in front of all other employees and visiting customers. The owner thinks that everyone should be a PhD after being shown how to do something one time. One new employee quit his old job because he was promised a certain wage, he did not actually get this wage at PMI once hiring was finalized! Apply and get hired if you have no respect for yourself or what you produce. I fell for it and should have believed the reviews on this site. BEWARE!!!

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Belittling employees and having no standards for production will keep PMI at the bottom of the pile.

"Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Porous Materials full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Long history, stable company
    - Great colleagues
    - Innovative products
    - Flexible work hours
    - Active company work environment

Cons

- Deadline based work, have to keep pace with targets
    - Unclear job responsibility. (Sometimes you have to do stuff that is not in your job responsibility)

Advice to Management

Nothing majorly wrong with the company. Pay more attention to employees work life balance, try to increase benefits package

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Porous Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Manufactures specialty products , always willing to invest in development of new techniques to characterize porosity, has largest market share in Porosity (undoubtedly No.1), considered as a benchmark instrument for testing by large multinationals in filtration, membrane, woven and non-woven, battery testing. Talented employees in engineering , assembly and testing department.

Cons

Weak marketing plan , new employees take time to learn Porosity as this subject is not taught in school. Located in Ithaca, no fresh talent. Employee should be jack of all trades.

Advice to Management

Hire fresh talent. Get more college grads. Your work needs a lot of intelligence