Portal Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Daniel Cohen-Dumani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great small consulting firm to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Portal Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people in this company make a real difference. Portal Solutions has a wonderful group of professionals, which are always willing to help and support each other. I admire not only how smart they are but how much they care about what they do. It's a very nice organizational culture for a consulting firm.

Cons

I enjoyed so much working here, I really have no cons.

2. "Experts always"

I worked at Portal Solutions full-time

Pros

Great culture and great people

Cons

Competitive industry wI think many challenges

"Great company to work at"

Pros

The technologies that are used are cutting edge and if you're willing to put yourself in a position to take on the projects using these technologies, then there is a lot to learn. You're surrounded by some very talented developers and other team members at this company, which is hard to come by in this area when it comes to development. Working on top of the SharePoint platform, Portal finds interesting and innovative solutions to problems to deliver to clients and rarely experiences hiccups in the delivery process. Clients range from private to public, mostly within the Washington D.C. area.

Cons

The management is quite unorganized and they are often times strapped for work and clients. This leads to people running around looking for work. If you do have work and you'd like to try something new then be prepared to stay on the project for a while.

4. "Strong SharePoint shop"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Pros

Great place to learn SharePoint
    Exposure to lots of projects and clients
    Great team of peers to learn from

Cons

Not a place to plan an extended career
    Company has lack of vision and limited growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Follow through on commitments to staff. Innovate beyond SharePoint.

5. "Good work atmosphere"

Pros

Well lit office
    Friendly co-workers
    Relaxed work pace

Cons

Sharepoint isn't the most exciting thing to work on.

"A Small Company That Values Success for Clients and Employees"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Portal Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I joined Portal Solutions from a staff augmentation firm because I wanted to work at a company that values expertise. Portal Solutions has been the perfect fit for me in that area. The company provides a culture that allows us to been seen and sold as experts, which is very important to me.

Portal is a decidedly Microsoft SharePoint consulting firm, although the company desires to break into the wider Office 365 space. If you desire to work on that platform, there is no doubt that this is great company to work for. The company also works across many verticals as well from government, non-profit, and for-profit. To work for Portal you need to understand in 2014 and beyond there are going to be a lot (a lot) of Office 365 intranet projects because those are the projects they desire. You just need to be comfortable with that.

When I came to Portal it was a very traditional work environment where everyone sits at the same desk everyday, but that has changed in recent years. Portal now is open to a wider array of working locations and environments, and that leads me to the single greatest "pro" in working for Portal: Work/life balance. Portal has allowed me work remotely, and they give me incredible flexibility in how I balance work and life even in my daily schedule. I have never received grief for needing to handle something during the day or ask for PTO. As long as you are committed to delivering great work in the time allotted to you, there is great flexibility.

Also, Portal is always very open to re-evaluating an employee's importance and role in the company. My salary has been consistently raised to meet market expectations and my growing role in the organization. I've never felt like I couldn't discuss this honestly with management. Also, it's important to understand that Portal is not a "hand holding organization" in terms of personal success. That in my mind is not a con but a pro. The company gives you great flexibility, but if you want to do more training, further your personal brand, etc. you need to self-motivated. That is really the advantage in my mind of a small company (and why staff augmentation is revulsive for me).

Even though work/life balance is the greatest "pro," there is a close second. I have always felt like the management of Portal go out of their way to care for me. Even though I'm remote, the CEO and other management takes time out of his schedule to meet with me personally and hear my thoughts on a myriad of topics. Some people don't want visibility into a company's management, but for me it is critical and Portal gives that..

Cons

The two areas that Portal Solutions has struggled in the five years I've been here concern our identity/values as an organization and type of clients/projects we go after.

Regarding the identity and values. When I came to Portal the identity was clear: Portal Solutions is a first-rate SharePoint development firm. Over the last three years through acquisition, a changing market, and management movement that has become more difficult to pin down. It feels at times that Portal's identity and values are being shaped by the market instead of having a clearly defined identity and set of values that determines the markets we go into. The good news is that Portal is opening to changing this, and this goes back to my "pro" that to impact this you have be a self-starter. The opportunities are here to define how Portal works (in terms of internal processes) and what the company's identity is. Again, the self-motivation factor of Portal can be seen as a con, but in my mind those are people who want to have their careers handed to them. I prefer to define that for myself and work for change in an organization, and Portal gives that to you if you want it. If you think we need to work on our ALM process, marketing, etc. then just show an interest and motivation. It allows you to become multi-dimensional as an employee.

Secondly, there are the types of clients and projects we go after. Being a small company, it's harder to sponge down turns in the market. We sometimes take clients and projects that aren't the best fit for us economically or culturally. It's a lesson we continually have to relearn. Thankfully, in my time at Portal these times have been few and far between.

Advice to Management

- Be clear in who you are as an organization. Own failures and defer praise for success to others because they both naturally happen in every company.
    - Be consistent in method and how we talk about our methodologies.
    - Continue to demonstrate that you value your employees (because they do).
    - Keep bringing in smart people to make us grow in all kinds of areas.

7. "Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior SharePoint Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior SharePoint Consultant

I have been working at Portal Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great people, company events, and challenging diverse work

Cons

The benefits are great, but the process for reimbursement is a bit more complicated than I would like

8. "Full time employee, great benefits, company really goes out of the way to help their employees."

Former Employee - Consultant in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Consultant in Rockville, MD

I worked at Portal Solutions full-time

Pros

Excellent work life balance and plenty of flexibility, of course as long as you are performing well.
    Plenty of smart people

Cons

Employee feedback seemed to lost on leadership a lot of the times. Inability to retain talent.

Portal Solutions Response

Aug 25, 2014 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback, we are striving to improve feedback and are improving our feedback procedure.

9. "Definitely a place to learn SharePoint"

Pros

Lots to learn, very busy

Cons

Not much structure in the company and vision is ever changing.

10. "Lots of very smart people, but CEO changes strategy too frequently, and doesn't keep his word(maybe unintentionally?)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Portal Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You'll learn a lot about SharePoint, and consulting with SharePoint. Great people, great comraderie.

Cons

Hours are insane without any compensation to make up for that. Verbal agreements on compensation are broken. CEO micro-manages too much.

Advice to Management

Hire a CEO who has grown a company from the current size to where you want it to be, and have current CEO take a President role instead, reaching out to customers to gauge and improve customer satisfaction.