Porter Novelli Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brad MacAfee

Pros
  • Great people, Good clients, Changing culture that is moving in the right direction (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance, time-off policies, great work experience (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible lack of work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• New business leader was a cruise director (in 6 reviews)

1. "intern"

Pros

Good team of people who work well together.

Cons

Very small office; not much interaction.

2. "Assistant Account Executive"

I have been working at Porter Novelli full-time

Pros

The culture amongst junior staff is the only thing that keeps them there. There is a family and camaraderie at this level that is unbeatable.

Cons

Senior leaders are their own cult of sorts and only concern themselves with issues at the top. Rarely do they attend culture building activities or care about junior staff getting promoted.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people essentially running the agency, aka the junior staff, or you'll lose them.

3. "Biggest Lack of Communication Company, for a PR firm?!?"

Former Employee - Producer
    Former Employee - Producer

I worked at Porter Novelli full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is offices all over the world. The Seattle office was small and you knew everyone.
    There is many different projects/clients to work on.

Cons

In my past 10 years of experience, this company was the WORST at communication. The person that I would report to was over on the east coast, while I was on the west coast. And while we were both busy with projects, we tried to make time to checkin(like any normal work relationship), but she would always cancel or say 'reschedule' and never would. Other account teams would sit on projects, never make executive decisions, and let projects drag out. Then account teams would play this blame game. The Managing Director was extremely fake and used people.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management and HR: you need to set up specific onboarding and process documents. If your company wants projects to go a certain way, make that clear. Make the managers available to set others up for success. To have your team set up for success. And you need to have the direct manager in the same office while you are onboarding. A little tricky from coast to coast.

5. "Company in transition with a lot of potential"

I worked at Porter Novelli full-time

Pros

Great people. Loved my coworkers.
    Analytics group was really good, as was the design team, definitely helped with winning business
    Beautiful offices

Cons

Challenges with new business. Medical practice was on shaky ground, constantly in turnaround, despite its strong history at Porter.
    Some questionable leadership choices - too much focus on flash
    New business group was so-so.
    Hard to get people promoted fast enough given compettive atmosphere

Advice to Management

Realize that a lot of the issues came from above the agency, but support for the best people is always a critical issue. We lost a lot of stars needlessly.

"Senior Vice President"

Pros

Loved the people, not only in my office but many across the network I had the experience to work with.

Cons

Lack of accountability across senior leadership. Corporate roles were a joke. New business leader was a cruise director...nothing else. Agency could not win business. Too many cooks in the kitchen with very bland skills.

Advice to Management

Take care of the folks who are actually leading your businesses versus global folks who push things down.

7. "SAE"

I worked at Porter Novelli full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture where management has clear interest in the professional development of employees and staff. Amazing opportunity to work for a global agency and work across multiple teams and offices.

Cons

Only a handful of exciting brands across the agency roster in the consumer and lifestyle space. The types of accounts you may dream to work on are not always available.

Advice to Management

Build a stronger lifestyle and consumer practice as this is often an area that young PR professionals want to start working in even if they decide to change specialties later down the track.

"I love it so far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Open-floor office style promotes discussion and transparency. Everyone makes a point of knowing what other teams are working on so we can cross-collaborate. I was welcomed warmly and enthusiastically. It seems employees here take a genuine interest in each other.

Writing and Wine on Wednesdays
    Thirsty Thursday- Happy Hours

We all seem to love our jobs :)

Cons

As a relatively new hire, I don't have enough information about the company yet to see any Cons, but if I do over time I will update this review!

Advice to Management

Please keep it up.

"Astounded by the incompetence."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Some interesting coworkers, minimal supervision, no micromanagers, heart of SF financial district, $ toward your commute expenses.

Cons

Silly office party after office party to celebrate birthdays, new account acquisitions, weddings, sports wins, upcoming vacations, colleague transfers etc. absolutely began to hate them because they were constantly interfering with getting my work done. Lots of heavy drinkers. Nit picky about an intern's monitor being 1 inch larger than paid employee's. Nepotism. Unfair Favoriticism.

Advice to Management

Leaders need to be more mature and possess a strong work ethic.

"Everything You Don't Want At An Agency"

Pros

Interesting and talented co-workers;
    Some local offices have their act together;
    Good client mix, even if churn is a major issue;
    Technology practice is very strong, with good credibility in the industry.
    Compensation was fair at my level.

Cons

Some of the most short-sighted "leadership" I have ever encountered. CEO is good and tries to do the right thing but is held down by holding company and weak "executive council." E.C. is made up of short-sighted, self-interested industry veterans more interested in protecting their own place and securing their bonuses than growing the business and adapting to current PR environment.

Much of the C-suite is untrustworthy and will deceive to your face.

INCREDIBLY New York-focused; mediocre employees based in NY get promoted, rewarded and recognized inordinately faster than employees who excel in other offices in the network. This is a source of frustration and friction at virtually every other office in their NA network.

Talent development frequently happens based on who you pal around with and office politics rather than skill.

No new business pipeline or effective process for developing new clients. Wins happen almost by accident than by design.

Senior leadership has a short-sighted mentality that looks three months forward instead of 12 months or several years.

The agency believes too much in the importance of its own legacy. While branding yourself as a social change/social good agency may be important, making that legacy the centerpiece of your appeal to a prospect is setting everyone up for disappointment. When the best thing you can say about yourself to a prospect is, in effect, 'we did lots of good work in this space in the 70s and 80s,' you're not going to win people over in 2016.

Advice to Management

Sack most of the EC and start over, and stop thinking the world revolves around NYC.
    Develop a stronger new business process.
    Stop pimping your history as a selling point; no one in 2016 cares which campaigns were done in 1972. You're not going to win business because of a 44 year old program.

11. "Culture Can't Be Beat"

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Washington, DC

Pros

I can honestly say that I work with my friends. The company culture is amazing. Supportive and encouraging. Not competitive or snarky like other PR Firms I've worked at. At our office, they even welcome humor and don't take themselves seriously. Keeps morale high which at the end of the day, means better service for clients.

Cons

The only con that I can think to write is that we work long hours, but I suppose that is true of most PR firms.

Advice to Management

Hire more people so your current team is not tapped beyond capacity.