Porter Novelli Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Porter Novelli CEO Brad MacAfee
Brad MacAfee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun and interactive culture with weekly happy hours and book clubs and good work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great people, Good clients, Changing culture that is moving in the right direction (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible lack of work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• New business leader was a cruise director (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Porter Novelli full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has collaborative space, an inviting and warm working environment, and a culture that you can really get behind. Really intelligent leadership and an invigorating business ethos.

Cons

Only con is that the culture is almost "too relaxed."

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work -- continue to hire folks with great experience and personalities!

"Supportive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Porter Novelli full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely professional and helpful environment. A good climate for growing and improving skills and helping a variety of clients.

Cons

At times, it can be difficult to know how best to approach a situation, but even in those situations people are able to work together and come up with productive solutions.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and encourage people to develop new skills to continue growing in multiple areas.

3. "A stepping stone in my career—nothing more."

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Porter Novelli full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned TONS. I also respected and admired many of the people I worked under. Thirsty Thursdays were also fun.

Cons

Extremely overworked. Lean teams managing major accounts. I quit without having another job lined up because I physically and mentally could not continue. Lack of internal communication.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and be aware of the amount of work allocated to each account team.

4. "Great"

I worked at Porter Novelli full-time

Pros

Great team; mostly great clients

Cons

Lots of change and turnover

5. "Needed to Adapt to the Times"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Porter Novelli (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits and vacation time. always free food which is important when they barely pay you anything. no exciting clients.

Cons

clique-ish, high school atmosphere. pay is abysmal. nothing substantive to say but glassdoor says i need to enter 20 word minimum so here we are

Advice to Management

nothing substantive to say but glassdoor says i need to enter 20 word minimum so here we are. fix the things noted in the cons.

6. "Assistant Account Executive"

I have been working at Porter Novelli full-time

Pros

The culture amongst junior staff is the only thing that keeps them there. There is a family and camaraderie at this level that is unbeatable.

Cons

Senior leaders are their own cult of sorts and only concern themselves with issues at the top. Rarely do they attend culture building activities or care about junior staff getting promoted.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people essentially running the agency, aka the junior staff, or you'll lose them.

7. "Biggest Lack of Communication Company, for a PR firm?!?"

Former Employee - Producer
    Former Employee - Producer

I worked at Porter Novelli full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is offices all over the world. The Seattle office was small and you knew everyone.
    There is many different projects/clients to work on.

Cons

In my past 10 years of experience, this company was the WORST at communication. The person that I would report to was over on the east coast, while I was on the west coast. And while we were both busy with projects, we tried to make time to checkin(like any normal work relationship), but she would always cancel or say 'reschedule' and never would. Other account teams would sit on projects, never make executive decisions, and let projects drag out. Then account teams would play this blame game. The Managing Director was extremely fake and used people.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management and HR: you need to set up specific onboarding and process documents. If your company wants projects to go a certain way, make that clear. Make the managers available to set others up for success. To have your team set up for success. And you need to have the direct manager in the same office while you are onboarding. A little tricky from coast to coast.

8. "intern"

Pros

Good team of people who work well together.

Cons

Very small office; not much interaction.

9. "Company in transition with a lot of potential"

I worked at Porter Novelli full-time

Pros

Great people. Loved my coworkers.
    Analytics group was really good, as was the design team, definitely helped with winning business
    Beautiful offices

Cons

Challenges with new business. Medical practice was on shaky ground, constantly in turnaround, despite its strong history at Porter.
    Some questionable leadership choices - too much focus on flash
    New business group was so-so.
    Hard to get people promoted fast enough given compettive atmosphere

Advice to Management

Realize that a lot of the issues came from above the agency, but support for the best people is always a critical issue. We lost a lot of stars needlessly.

"Senior Vice President"

Pros

Loved the people, not only in my office but many across the network I had the experience to work with.

Cons

Lack of accountability across senior leadership. Corporate roles were a joke. New business leader was a cruise director...nothing else. Agency could not win business. Too many cooks in the kitchen with very bland skills.

Advice to Management

Take care of the folks who are actually leading your businesses versus global folks who push things down.