Porter Valparaiso Hospital Campus Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

2.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Medical Records Clerk"

Former Employee - Medical Records Clerk in North Judson, IN
    Former Employee - Medical Records Clerk in North Judson, IN

I worked at Porter Valparaiso Hospital Campus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to help patients in the Release of Information Department receive records in a timely, confidential manner.

Cons

I had to audit a lot of medical records for unclear diagnoses and discuss the doctors mistakes.

Advice to Management

I did like doing different jobs in the Medical Records department. I think this is a great practice to continue over time.

2. "Not my favorite"

I worked at Porter Valparaiso Hospital Campus part-time

Pros

The hospital is close to home

Cons

L and D department is extremely uneducated

3. "I cannot wait to quit"

Current Employee - Patient Registrar in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Patient Registrar in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at Porter Valparaiso Hospital Campus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like the new head of registration. She has a good head on her shoulders.

Cons

Zero recognition from managers. Very small raises. Very much about the money, not about the employees and patients. 37% employee satisfaction rate. I cannot wait to get a new job. The CEO only cares about you if you're in the ER or higher up...the parts where the hospital "shines" the most and gives no recognition to the underdogs.... who this place cannot run without. I'm not proud to work for Porter. Useless meetings called all the time for reasons that honestly do not matter to my job.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees more. Recognize the small guys. You can't run the hospital without us. Stop calling useless meetings.

4. "Dietary Supervisor"

Current Employee - Dietary Supervisor
    Current Employee - Dietary Supervisor

I have been working at Porter Valparaiso Hospital Campus part-time

Pros

For part timers, they work with your schedule very well.

Cons

Management uncoordinated and communication is very bad at times. They have difficulty hiring people with good work ethic and talent.

5. "Very helpful"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Porter Valparaiso Hospital Campus as an intern

Pros

Mentored in many aspects of hospital management and departments. All employees encountered were eager to give advice and teach interns in hospital functions.

Cons

Not given opportunity to see projects through from start to finish due to being sent to many various departments when needed.

Advice to Management

Allow interns to work on hospital teams from start to finish and learn the ins and outs on an important organizational project.

6. "Phlebotomist"

Former Employee - Intern in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Intern in Merrillville, IN

I worked at Porter Valparaiso Hospital Campus (More than 5 years)

Pros

My fellow employees enjoyed their jobs; where pleasant and very helpful.

Cons

The salary is too low to support oneself.

7. "Great summer gig gaining experience with marketing and PR!"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Valparaiso, IN
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at Porter Valparaiso Hospital Campus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands on learning from photo shoots to press releases to preparing content for the website.

Cons

It was a lot of work but definitely an amazing experience!

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Chesterton, IN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Chesterton, IN

I have been working at Porter Valparaiso Hospital Campus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Conveniently close to home, friendly staff, rewarding patient care

Cons

I don't have any cons to contribute

Advice to Management

Johnathan has made some wonderful changes in the past few years and has given Porter Hospital a new and improved outlook in the community.

9. "Very forfilling to help people when they need us to be there for them."

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Valparaiso, IN

Pros

Wanting to be there for the patients, they are our whole reason for being at our place of work. I Love being there for them. We often are seeing patients at the worst time in there lives.

Cons

Working for an outside company (We are a outsourced department along with Housekeeping and Maintenance)
    We are hospital employees but run by an outside company.
    They sometimes think we are just robots instead of people

Advice to Management

Please send the outside company packing and just get us a department manager like the way it was before being outsourced. Please Please Please

10. "Porter Hospital doesn't supply enough staff so you can get your job done effiecently."

Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician in Valparaiso, IN

Pros

The only good reason to work at Porter Valparaiso Hospital Campus is the benefit if you work there they pay 100% for x-rays and test as long as you have it dine at Porter Hopsital. The insurance covers 90% then the company writes off the rest. The doctors of Porter even say that we are under payed. They are finally getting enough instruments , so the doctors can do their job properly. There are doctors that support us on paying us more to keep experience technicians so we don't leave.

Cons

Porter hospital is cheap. Their salary for employees are below market price. They don't supply enough staff to get the job done. supervisors that are supposed to be working supervisors don't work at all even when your really short. The way they treat their employees I surprised the hospital is still running. There is a lot of favoritism. When people are on call they should get payed double time when called out since you get payed straight time for holidays when you work. In a lot of department there are a lot of chiefs and not that many Indians. They shouldn't hire supervisors with no experience. Supervisore should take call just like regular staff. I f they don't change their ways then they won't have a hospital to worry about building a new one. Start cracking down on the employees that hold you downand don't work and start giving more credit to the employess that deserve it.

Advice to Management

Learn to listen to your employees. Just because we don't have a college education doesn't mean that we don't have common sense, and good ides to help make things run easier.