Porter & Chester Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

James Bologa

1. "instructor"

Current Employee - Automotive Instructor in Brockton, MA
    Current Employee - Automotive Instructor in Brockton, MA

I have been working at Porter & Chester Institute (More than a year)

Pros

as good as can be expected very satisfying

Cons

enrollment is low need more people who can fill seats

2. "From Good to Good"

I have been working at Porter & Chester Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The students, colleagues and connection oppurtunities in field.

Cons

extremely high turnover and they don't replace positions, just expect more work from current employees within change to compensation.

"Stay Away!"

I worked at Porter & Chester Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The education team and support staff are great people.

Cons

The person in charge, Jim Bologa is a selfish, greedy man who cares only about himself. The company does not match 401k, they do not give person days, they have not given raises in over 7 years. There are no holiday parties during the month of December. Its strictly business as usual. There is a large turnover and frequent layoffs. No training is ever provided. Get ready for a crash course.

Advice to Management

Learn to take care of your people and they will stay with the company.

5. "Registrar"

I worked at Porter & Chester Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Other employees are usually wonderful. Most of them want what is best for the student body, and there is a spirit of cooperation.

Cons

Management in general is untrained, unprepared. They give lip service to 'onboarding' but do not follow through. Upper management is out of touch with 'rank and file' and concerned only with making profit for shareholders. Pay scale for 'second line' employees (not Admissions) is lower than expected. No raises for 4 years.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees, give them the tools they need to succeed, and be happy, so they will be more productive.

"Love my job!"

I have been working at Porter & Chester Institute full-time

Pros

Every job has pros and cons. You can always find something good and bad about each employment opportunity. I look forward to coming to work each day. Enough said!

Cons

I really have nothing negative to say.

"Challenging, rewarding enviornment"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Porter & Chester Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy making a difference in students lives and working to make a difference within an organization this is the place for you. There lots of opportunities to work with different teams to make process improvements and improve the way the company ticks

Cons

Must be willing to work hard, have high endurance for fast past environment and work well with others

Advice to Management

Give back to employees via time off

"All about making money, no concern for student's future."

Former Employee - Instructor in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Porter & Chester Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with students to help them achieve their dreams. Management is so disconnected that they never bother to check in on you to make sure you are actually doing your job.

Cons

Since money is their bottom line they do not invest back into the company. Continously cutting back on employee benefits and wages. Not keeping up with computers and lab equipment. Senior management that is out of touch. Working here is like living in the wild west, people are constantly quitting or being let go for no apparent reason.

Advice to Management

Follow through on promises. Make employees and students(your customers) a priority.

"UNBELIEVABLY UNFORTUNATE THAT THIS COMPANY IS SO BAD!"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Porter & Chester Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Students.....helping students make positive changes that will impact their futures is rewarding.

Cons

Really poor management (not Leadership....management). Executive Management Team not visionary....it is really disappointing that at that level you have a basic accounting team that is more focused on bean counting than motivating their workforce. This poor approach over time has cost them their talented employees. Terrible culture....and culture eats strategy for breakfast.

Advice to Management

Please ask Jim Bologa to do PCI a favor and move on to politics where he really wants to be anyway.

"Run! Fast! The other direction!"

Former Employee - Instructor in Rocky Hill, CT
    Former Employee - Instructor in Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at Porter & Chester Institute (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you care about helping students succeed and can ignore management it is a great place to be.

Cons

Everything else:
    -Long hours without thanks
    -Low pay with no reviews
    -A CEO who doesn't have a clue about education
    -Management imported from all of the schools that failed
    -No matching on 401K
    -Terrible health plan
    -Training and professional development a low priority
    -No opportunity for advancement

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees or you will soon be without them. Your instructors can make much more money in their respective trades.

"The definition of 'let them eat cake!'"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Porter & Chester Institute full-time

Pros

My job is constantly a struggle between helping the students who are getting screwed by the school and helping the employer that I absolutely loathe. The students are great, and the opportunity for them is great, which makes the job somewhat worthwhile.

Cons

Higher management has no clue what they're doing, and think that being fiscally prudent means cutting any incentive for staff to care at all about their job. These are the same guys that have been pushing for-profit education at those fantastic schools like Salter, ITT Tech, and Corinthian Colleges, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise they invest as little as possible into staff and education. This place is a sinking ship; stay away. I'm just buying time until I'm finished with school to get a job somewhere that cares about its employees.

Seriously, don't walk-- run. No 401k match, no education reimbursement, you can take classes at PCI for free, but they design your schedule so that there is no way you could ever actually attend. You will never see a raise, and the only time reviews come out is before they do a layoff (like the one they did the week before Christmas, a few years back-- to give you a taste of their care about their employees). Basic accounting/finance principals don't apply to management here-- if enrollment is down 15%, they lay off 20% of staff to cover the losses, and frequently realize later on that they cut too many people and beg former staff to come back part-time so they won't have to dole out benefits. Not only this, in departments with only 2 people, they'll cut that in half, not recognizing that in the same process that means the person left has to pick up 70% more work, without even a pat on the back.

The only people management cares about is admissions, and they'll throw money at them if they threaten to leave, because they are the ones that bring in profits. If you do anything else, you may as well be viewed as a parasite by management that's just draining profits. I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to work here.

Advice to Management

Literally no one wants to stay employed at the school, and most of us haven't left because we don't want to screw over our colleagues. Bring back the 401k match and offer even a cost of living. Coming to PCI has been the worst career move of my life.