Porter & Chester Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 5, 2018

2.4
James Bologa

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great Co workers who all feel used and abused" (in 2 reviews)

• "The staff and faculty work hand in hand to really see the students make the best of their education" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "Don't waste your time being underpaid and under appreciated find a job somewhere else" (in 2 reviews)

• "Greedy CEO who only cares about his pocket" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Admin"

I have been working at Porter & Chester Institute full-time

Pros

Porter and Chester is highly respected in the CT and MA markets. We provide highly skilled training to our students in all of the programs that we offer. It is a privilege to be part of their success everyday. Porter and Chester has afforded me opportunities in my professional growth, that I feel I would not have learned or been exposed to at another company or school. They truly care about their employees.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a great job, aligning our schools and our company for growth in the future. They make decision based on what is best for our continued success.

"Run Away!"

I have been working at Porter & Chester Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Direct staff at my location are amazing people and very hard workers. The students we enroll are charismatic and fun to talk to.

Cons

Far too many to list but let me summarize: you will never be more than an expense to the higher management. They DO NOT care about their employees at all. They are like a narcissistic ex that won't go away. Only education staff get paid vacation weeks while admissions and support staff have to still work. We haven't had a holiday party or any type of team building event since I started almost 2 years ago. I would have left after my first month if it wasn't for the people I met while working here. Don't waste your time being underpaid and under appreciated find a job somewhere else. Anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Stop lining your greedy pockets and take a look at the bigger picture. You can be a for- profit school and still treat your employees with dignity and respect. We are not an expense we are assets to your dwindling company. Students enroll and stay because of your employees not because this school is 'top notch' which it will never be with your deteriorating buildings and duct taped carpet. Rid yourselves of all upper management and your school will flourish.

3. "Dishonest people and Company"

Former Employee - CPS
    Former Employee - CPS

I worked at Porter & Chester Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was a learning opportunity to see how each student was just a number, some CPS didn’t care if the student was going to make it or not. They wanted to reach there enrollment goal.

Cons

Nasty culture, coworkers will stab you in the back to reach the goal of applicants. Feel bad for students who are being set up to promises for a future career/ opportunity to only end up jobless and in major financial debt.

Advice to Management

Be honest. Stop lying to everyone and about everything. Stop making your employees lie. The school is a joke- and your accreditation has been notified about your lack of following the rules . I’m sure more campuses will be closing soon.

4. "Student"

Former Employee - Student in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Student in Woburn, MA

I worked at Porter & Chester Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huge debt no skills (sarcasm)

Cons

Get a job changing tires if you want to work on cars you can learn and earn. You will have huge debt and min wage pay. They will give easy tests so you can have a grade to allow you to keep taking loans. You can do an income driven repayment plan that forgives the loan after 25 years, but they tax you on the amount forgiven. So simply put say 15k loan plus interest in 25 years @ 40k at a moderate tax of 25% 10k almost the original note! DONT DO IT IT WILL F UP YOUR LIFE!!!!

"Financially Driven Institute"

Former Employee - Instructor, College Or University in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Instructor, College Or University in New Haven, CT

I worked at Porter & Chester Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to help sculpt Adult Learners who can have a life changing experience.

Cons

Pay for instructors and safety. All about numbers and not about quality.

Advice to Management

Make the mission about the tools you provide not just the dollars associated with the goods. Humans are not to be a for profit business where the $ out ways the hierarchy of needs.

6. "Great place!"

I have been working at Porter & Chester Institute full-time

Pros

Excellent staff and faculty to work with

Cons

We need raises on a more consistent basis

Advice to Management

Give the employees a better salary

7. "LPN Nursing Instructor"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Instructor in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Instructor in Waterbury, CT

I worked at Porter & Chester Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like teaching students about nursing

Cons

there are none at this time

Advice to Management

None

"Greed Company doesnt care about its staff"

I worked at Porter & Chester Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Co workers who all feel used and abused

Cons

Greedy CEO who only cares about his pocket. He is so far from reality. Thinks the culture is great. He obviously is in his own world. Forces staff to take mandatory time off so he can get a bonus. Tells those struggling due to not getting paid that they should manage their money better. He is a joke and had run this company into the ground.

Advice to Management

Senior management is a joke and should all be fired. The have run this company into the ground. Bills are not being paid at campuses. Rent is behind, vendors are upset campus are being closed due to money mismanagment. CEO should be fired.

9. "Fair and People Focused Company"

I have been working at Porter & Chester Institute full-time

Pros

Company is attempting to stand out in a much-maligned education sector. Good work hours, fair salary, and cares about the people who work there.

Cons

Benefits for healthcare are not what I am used to, but might be the status quo in today's healthcare market. Culture varies by campus- some are more pleasant than others.

"Not a good place to work"

I have been working at Porter & Chester Institute full-time

Pros

-Helping the students that truly want to go to school and change their lives
    -The frontline staff, mostly great people that work very hard to make a difference for the students

Cons

-No raises
    -Constant uncertainty of whether or not you will have a job the next day
    -Upper management does not value the staff that works on the campus level
    -No benefits, healthcare is expensive
    -No appreciation for the amount of work that you put in
    -Revolving door of employees, people searching for jobs constantly

Advice to Management

Need to be transparent with the staff, bring back the 401k match and better healthcare. Care more about the constant revolving door of employees, it is important for the staff to feel valued. There are really no benefits to working here except for the fact that you are employed.