Portillo's Restaurant Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 12, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dick Portillo

Pros
  • great food, fast paced place of employment (in 17 reviews)

• Once again the schedules are really flexible and they give a lot of hours bc the way the company is designed they need people (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard work, they're always busy, must be able to keep up (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours away from my daughter , schedule constantly changing without informing me first, not enough pay (in 6 reviews)

1. "My experience at portillos (detail) (the truth) (good and bad)"

Former Employee - Drive Thru Cashier/Ordertaker/Food Runner in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Drive Thru Cashier/Ordertaker/Food Runner in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Portillo's Restaurant Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros is they have great hours and very flexible with schedule. You get 50 percent off of the food besides milkshakes and the cakes and 10 percent off of catering. I got the chance to get as many hours as I wanted I've worked as little as 4 hours a day to 13 lol as crazy as you would think. On average my pay check was about close to 700 every two weeks and one of the biggest paycheck was close to 800 for doing doubles and still got my days off. The customers are usually really nice and a lot of the same people come a lot during the week. They have holiday parties and I have gotten close to a lot of my manager and crew chiefs. Once again the schedules are really flexible and they give a lot of hours bc the way the company is designed they need people!

Cons

Managers don't really care about personal life issues being they need people. Harsh. Working in weather conditions like snow hard rain. You could only go inside when you see lightning and even then if you call it from the walkie talkie the manager has to come outside and see for himself. They are really supposed to give a raise every 6 month I believe unless it was changed but for sure every year they have to test you to see if you deserve a raise but a lot to the employees I worked with said they waited 2 years or a year to get the raise and they worked hard for it I didn't get my raise the first year either and I passed everything and with no suspensions. The managers don't realize how stressful it can be working outside especially in the weather conditions or when the other people working the drive thru aren't doing the job right bc it's a systematic drive thru. A majority of the managers and general manager didn't "grow with the company" they literally worked the drive thru for a day or two once with a trainor and that's it they don't get to see when you're working in the rain or snow or when your pen isn't working to take the orders bc of the rain but you ran out of paper and it's raining hard and the lines packed so you have to go off the pen symbols off the paper even when the ink wore off bc it's raining! But you know regardless its kinda hard labor and the managers don't see that! Sometimes they do when the job is done right but when it's not they get so mad and they don't understand or show sympathy or try to make it better. Regardless if the cons scare you all the cons made me a good employee because I learned what to do and prepare for the worst and how to handle it and that's a trait I carry with me to the next job. So yes this is a great job for high schoolers college students and even older people bc it's flexible and it teaches you a lot and pay isn't bad.

Advice to Management

Be more sympathetic for the employees in the drive thru! Working outside in severe weather conditions sucks and sometimes we're forced to make due when there's nothing else we can do st the moment! Sure you can say take double of pens and note pads and menus but what happens when your other employee who is supposed to be helping you has to pee or gets sick and what if it's raining hard and the line is too backed up to go ask so I have to make due with the soggy note pad for the moment when the ink is smearing off the paper and the pen isn't working bc it's wet and I have to go off the symbols and memory!!what about when the ordertaker gets the numbers mixed up and the cars are really supposed to be a different number and I can't cash it out correctly and orders are mixed up on top of rain and on top of the food runners accidentally giving out free food more then what they originally payed for for someone that didn't get cashed out yet bc the cars are mixed up!!! Crazy stuff happens in the drive thru and it does happen trust me so being prepared even when we do it's so packed all the times truly be prepared for the worst!

2. "Don't Do It."

Former Employee - Order Taker, Phones, Cashier in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Order Taker, Phones, Cashier in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Portillo's Restaurant Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% discount, work hours available

Cons

Management, scheduling, management, and management

Advice to Management

Managers at this location believe they can do and say anything they please. They look at employees like peasants and give out disrespect. Management needs to change how they treat guests and employees, how they manage the zones and restaurant, and how they shouldn't be allowed to talk to other staff about another employee's personal life!!

3. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Villa Park, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Villa Park, IL

I worked at Portillo's Restaurant Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, high quality food, managers friendly and direct, always felt comfortable working there and happy to go to work

Cons

Scheduling was somewhat an issue, but that was because I was also taking classes.

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I worked at Portillo's Restaurant Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours offered. Good discount on food.

Cons

Unfairly treated, stressful, face paced.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better.

5. "Decent job"

Current Employee - Line Cook in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Portillo's Restaurant Group part-time

Pros

Good pay
    Flexible hours
    Coworkers were great
    Fast paced

Cons

Strict management
    Unorganized line
    Lot of work
    They will try to make you find a replacement if you are sick

Advice to Management

Tell supervisors to get someone to take out the garbage more often so that it doesn't fall all over the floor

"Order 1-2, this review is for you"

Former Employee - Cashier in Summit, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Summit, IL

I worked at Portillo's Restaurant Group (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced and fun environment. Not your typical minimum wage job, you actually need to have a good personality and a friendly smile.

Cons

Managers cross train members during the worst times. I would prefer not to be taught grill on rib night.

"Expect to be board with your work load and to get yelled at."

Former Employee - Manager In Training in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager In Training in Chicago, IL

I worked at Portillo's Restaurant Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Aside from a paycheck, NONE! Only pro I could think of was getting to go home. A few nice coworkers.

Cons

In-store employees have no respect for trainers or new management employees.

You are told that the stores are not Hispanic minded yet the management training manual includes helpful phrases in Spanish. From the gossip, I think managers were dating employees and those employees were getting promotions. The ones I dealt with developed attitudes once they had positions.

If you want to spend 10 hour shifts taking food temperatures every 1/2 hour, writing stars on order bags to time the process or to cowtown to all corporate visitors on how good their food is then this job is for,you. Supporting crews are told to disrespect you in until needs are beyond critical.

Uniform is a thick button down dress shirt that is provided. It is warm and the collars are stiff. Once you add the required apron and your own tie, you are sure to get rub marks around your neck. They do provide short sleeved versions but the entire get up is too warm in summer months.

There is no appreciation for managers wanting to breathe life into the staff or the customers. I was written up because an Hispanic employee and I were actually having fun doing our morning prep. The person that filed the complaint had nothing to do with what we were doing. She just saw how much fun we were having and getting our jobs done. She was mad because she wasn't part of such a fun time at getting work done.

RUN! This is a spiral,of misery! Their success is dumbfounded. The food is basically buffet food served as fast food. The majority of it is frozen. There is no pride in creation of any meal for a guest. It is all just get the order out.

The biggest problem I had was this. When hired I was given a tour of the main office. Part of that tour consisted of showing me all the artwork acquired by the owner. It is hanging on every wall in the hallways. Seriously? Flaunting your wealth and then paying very average salaries for slave grinding work? RUN!

8. "Management is awful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Portillo's Restaurant Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Somewhat flexible hours. Start out at a minimum of $10/hr.

Cons

Overwork good employees by giving doubles and splits four to five days in a row. Don't always give breaks even when working 8-12 hour shifts. Expect rude and inappropriate managers and incompetent crew chiefs who openly talk about how no one deserves raises. Management makes it extremely difficult to request days off no matter the reason.

Advice to Management

Care about your workers and keep personal opinions out of the workplace or you're going to keep having hardworking people walk out on you.

9. "Teaches you good work ethic but it is hard work."

Former Employee - Crew Chief in Glendale Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Crew Chief in Glendale Heights, IL

I worked at Portillo's Restaurant Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging. Busy. The days fly since its constant action. It is fun work and if you enjoy making peoplw happy with good food then this is a fit!

Cons

Management is hard to deal with. Too much turn over. Customers with no patience

Advice to Management

Get your managers on board. Teach them how to lead! Teach them to know more than their CC! The system is already great!!

10. "Quality of Life"

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Portillo's Restaurant Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, fast paced, diverse employees, good food discounts

Cons

No quality of life.. If you are going for Manager.. be ready for no weekends, no holidays, no rotated weekends off by your co-managers. They send you to stores far away from where you live.

Advice to Management

Understand your turn overs.. stemming from No quality of Life.