Portland General Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Portland General Electric President, CEO, and Director Jim Piro
Jim Piro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a great work life balance, and being able to have a flexible schedule is a huge bonus (in 10 reviews)

• Good place to work for with good benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • PGE no longer hires full-time employees for their contact center (in 4 reviews)

• No work life balance, limited strategic vision (in 3 reviews)

1. "best job i've ever had."

Current Employee - Spec V in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Spec V in Portland, OR

I have been working at Portland General Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

best company i've ever worked for. they invest heavily in employees, and show it through compensation, benefits, trainings, and internal transfer encouragement. you come here to work for life. no more job hopping once you get here... astounding work/life balance. after working for companies for years that expect you to work until past dinnertime, this is a 9-5 culture. I'm the last person in the office at 5:15... lights out at 6!

Cons

some "lifers"... they have trouble "cutting the fat". over-cautious anti-alcohol policies cause some younger employees to defect to smaller, "hipper" startups that allow dogs, ping-pong, video games and drinking during the day, the whole "google" atmosphere. these are minor however and are the only drawbacks i can think of

2. "High Contract Staff Position"

Current Employee - Specialist Prerequisite Coordinator in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Specialist Prerequisite Coordinator in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at Portland General Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An awesome company to work with. Few job turnover.

Cons

High number of contract Staff

Advice to Management

To create more permanent positions to reduce the number of contract staff

3. "Communications Specialist"

I worked at Portland General Electric full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and working environment. Good benefits. Great place to learn in a safe, encouraging environment. Great culture of giving back to the community and helping out. I loved my time here.

Cons

Very corporate structure -- a bit rigid when it comes to growth, or advancement. Work-life balance is being adjusted, and while it's not bad, there is definitely room for improvement. Management is mostly good -- could be improved in terms of giving managers more time to actually help the team and help individuals grow. Lots of adjustments happening on this team, but overall it's a great group to work with.

Advice to Management

Learn to work with other departments better. Allow people to be creative. Let your best and brightest thrive by giving them the opportunities to flex their skills and grow. Show appreciation for those who go above and beyond.

"Not a great spot for technical employment"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Portland General Electric (More than 5 years)

Pros

stability and downtown location are nice

Cons

too many managers, expensive parking with downtown location, group think decision making

Advice to Management

increase technical skills for changing and challenging technical stack

"Breath of fresh air"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Portland General Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have now been employed with PGE for a little over 3 months, and it is the best decision I've made in my career to date, coming aboard into Talent Acquisition. I've worked for previous companies in the past that don't have the same family oriented culture, great mentors and colleagues, and people that truly want you to do well and excel in what you do.

There's a reason the turn over is very low, and employees often retire from PGE. The benefits are incredible even for temporary full time employees, and their goal is to have you join as a full time employee.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of, aside from the parking, however they are now partnering with TriMet to do a free commuter pass for full time employees.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I'm excited to see what the new CEO has in store for the company as it relates to diversity and inclusion.

6. "Great Company to Work for"

I worked at Portland General Electric full-time

Pros

Super competent co-workers. Promotion from within based on skills.

Cons

Crazy hours during power outages

7. "QA"

Pros

Great place to work, positive work culture

Cons

8 and half hours must work policy

8. "Admin"

I have been working at Portland General Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, job security, lots of catered lunches, great people, employee discounts

Cons

None aside from the occasional office drama you find at any company. Just stay away from it.

9. "Good company"

I have been working at Portland General Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong family culture and care for cusomters / employees

Cons

No work life balance, limited strategic vision

"Great Company and even better benefits."

I have been working at Portland General Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for other utilities and this has been the best. I am hoping this will be the last company I ever work for, and I am still pretty early in my career. The benefits are amazing. Feel there is a lot of room for growth, but I also feel I have a great supervisor that empowers me to take my career where I want it to go.
     There is a great work life balance, and being able to have a flexible schedule is a huge bonus.

Cons

Meetings a plenty!!! A lot of the meetings get in the way of getting work done which can be very frustrating.
    Not a lot of accountability for people who are not productive, which can be very frustrating at times as there is a lot of work to be done. Workload can be very high at times.
    Feel like directors are very out of touch with everyone, and have a high and mighty mentality which is irritating., but then the VP's and board of directors that I have met with are amazing, and don't have that holier then thou that I have seen in other companies.

Advice to Management

Keep the flexible schedules! It is a big draw and will help keep the millennial generation sticking around with the company.