Portland General Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Portland General Electric President, CEO, and Director Jim Piro
Jim Piro

Pros
Cons
  • Hires contract and temporary employees stating able to apply for regular full-time positions after one year (in 3 reviews)

• Accountability is low, things take longer than they should to get done, poor performers aren't fired (in 3 reviews)

1. "Starting out"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at Portland General Electric part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am just starting out at PGE so take this review at that. Great supportive environment. Best call center I have worked at. Cares about customers and employees. Great overtime pay. Strong training program.Most holidays off.

Cons

Starts as temp part time and work up to regular. Health insurance is high until you get regular. Have to drive to work in bad weather due to electticity outages for customers.

Advice to Management

Add somewhere to shower. You offer a gym and you sometimes need employees around the clock. Give them shower facilities.

"Technical Specialist"

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Portland General Electric (Less than a year)

Pros

Very welcoming team and company. Challenging and varied work with a lot of interaction internally and externally.

Cons

As an intern, it was difficult to gauge my performance. Full-time employees have a way of evaluating annual performance.

"Rates and Regulatory Team at PGE"

Former Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland General Electric (More than a year)

Pros

The difficulty of the tasks was never an issue for me in RaRA. You can always find something to glom onto and learn about and you can easily expand your network from this particular far-reaching position in the company. But while I was told they needed my advanced analytical skills during interviewing, I can honestly say the type of “analysis” you will do for RaRA is not challenging. Mostly common sense, lots of testimony composition, and some low level analysis-mostly flat files and basic summaries in Excel. The 401k match isn’t bad, but other than that the benefits are very average.

Cons

2.1.2017: What follows will be a candid, comprehensive, honest relay of observations from a former business analyst in PGE’s rates and regulatory department and within multiple other departments including power operations, finance, and legal. I worked in RaRA (rates and reg) for under 2 years. PGE has a disproportionate amount of hierarchy and disorganization relative to other analyst positions I have held in various sized companies. I found PGE the home of rampant bullying and nepotism. Project ownership and knowledge transfer between coworkers was a typical level for a more competitive environment.

The work environment was difficult in some depts. I witnessed many associates joining the company for about a year or less and just getting out asap because they could not take the drama and bullying. Yes, it IS the top reason people leave a company or a position: inter-personal conflict with bosses or coworkers. Work-life balance in most departments is still very “traditional” and behind-the-times. Lots of the “white boys club” mentality. Before I accepted the position I wish I had found these other reviews that mention “high-school like drama” and “mean girls attitude”- because many others have spoken up about the “good old boys” mentality, especially in various finance departments including rates and regulatory. Look it up!
    My direct supervisor was married to my coworker (his wife was on my team!) so they split our team in 2 and gave us 2 supervisors to manipulate a loophole in their nepotism avoidance policy. Throughout my time at PGE, I found it quite alarming how often my coworkers would mention their various spouses and family members also working at the company. They really do like to keep it in the family. Because they kept 2 supervisors for our small team of 7-8 in order to prevent the husband from directly managing the wife (not fun being near this married couple at work every day!), I essentially had to answer to 2 different supervisors on the regulatory team. Neck breathing, contradicting assignments, it blew. In addition, RaRA has another rates manager, a director, and a few senior analysts and project managers. The manager-to-employee ratio is therefore exceptionally high, as well as the internal turn-over rate between departments.
    An example: I met people who were bullied out of legal-one left the department because of their treatment as African-American, and another left the company for how they were insulted and harassed for being homosexual. Bullying was also a huge problem in RaRA (rates and reg) and has been for many years.
    Every single woman I spoke with who used to work in RaRA told me their story of woe and how (back when) they couldn’t wait to get away from that department. I watched these women crying or getting terribly stressed out just recounting their stories, which, quite unfortunately, had already become my own dismal reality. I was even contacted before I took this position by a women currently in that department, warning me not to take the job. She warned me about the married couple on the team. I form my own opinions, I do not appreciate gossip. BUT OH HOW I WISH I had taken her warning advice and kept looking. I noted large pay discrepencies between the females and males. Roughly 80% of the women in RaRA were being over-disciplined and regularly publically humiliated and insulted, including myself. Top assignments are cherry-picked away by the men (not just the higher ups). A majority of women were kept under the thumb-they like their ladies to be quiet in meetings, bring in baked goods, the whole “motherhood and apple pie” routine. If you don’t fit the mold you will be pushed out or fired. I’m not talking about an occasional here and there. I’m talking about all but a couple! The majority of the women were demoted or forced to leave because they wouldn’t succumb to the bullying and accept their role of submissive “whipping-boy girl”, or they were placed on consecutive PIPs and denied raises. I also was personally supplied different rules then the men including the following: told that I had to eat lunch from my desk, not allowed to use company gym during work hours even though many men would leave their desk to do just that for hours during the work day, told that I was useless and of no value and wouldn’t be for many years, that I had to ask permission before leaving my desk to use the restroom or attend a meeting, told that I was not allowed to speak during meetings and that I was meant to be “seen and not heard”… the list goes on. I personally have had many jobs and supervisors, but have never been so harassed or disrespected in my life.

Advice to Management

VPs and directors are in their own bubble. No one seemed to managing the managers. The managers do not "lead by example" so you end up with teams that start have low morale, high dissension, and coworkers treating each other like garbage because the management does just that and gets away with it.

5. "Business Analyst/ Economist"

Former Employee - Economist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Economist in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland General Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like regulatory environment then PGE is one of two Oregon natural monopolies.

Cons

It is an old boys network club.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to diversity and inclusion issue.

6. "Great Stability and Compensation"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Portland General Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall benefits and salary as well as work life balance is great comparative to similar organizations. Opportunity for advancement and differing job roles but expect to put in some time at each to be offered advancement.

Cons

Legacy practices and politics exist that challenges younger and outsider influence. This is a cultural norm there and unless you understand the environment is difficult for newcomers.

Advice to Management

Better communicate and engage all stakeholders in business change and direction. Sometimes a little communication is all that's needed for acceptance.

"Good Company, Positive Outlooks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Portland General Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A very complex business, tons to learn for many many years. Some really cool people, culture seems to be improving in some parts of the company.

Cons

IT department is management heavy and execution light. The IT managers are all trying to out do one another with strategic thinking, journey maps and buzz words. When it comes to rolling up sleeves and creating solutions, they seem to default to hiring consultants.

8. "Warehouse Assistant"

Former Employee - Warehouse Assistant in Clatskanie, OR
    Former Employee - Warehouse Assistant in Clatskanie, OR

I worked at Portland General Electric part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment, takes care of their employees, great benefits, good pay

Cons

Nothing I can think of. Management does listen to any concerns.

Advice to Management

Nope

"EX-12"

I worked at Portland General Electric full-time

Pros

Good office environment and people, expensive office furniture, great 401k package, very high salary for the Portland region

Cons

Thick management layer creates conflicting goals and poor department collaboration. Highly challenged IT department. Company politics govern program development, innovation and advancement.

Advice to Management

Upper management grossly disconnected from goal based achievement, scorecard process is poorly implemented. Performance based incentives and advancement are based in politics, too many managers retired-in-place.

10. "Great Work Place"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland General Electric (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work as there was every opportunity to succeed.

Cons

At times would be very bureaucratic at times as there was always a meeting for a meeting. Understanding this is a highly regulated industry I found it necessary and tolerated the layers of communication.

11. "Good place for contractors"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland General Electric (Less than a year)

Pros

Very stable company. Other employees are generally helpful and easy to work with.

Cons

Work environment in IT can be chaotic, even given the usual chaotic standards of IT departments.