Portland General Electric Reviews

Updated May 22, 2020

3.4
Portland General Electric President and CEO Maria Pope
Maria Pope
Pros
  • "PGE is trying to adapt quickly to dramatic changes within the Utility industry(in 22 reviews)

• "I have been able to successfully maintain a good work-life balance during my time here(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "PGE talks a good game about having a culture that values a meaningful work/life balance, but certain departments don't walk that talk(in 14 reviews)

• "Nothing that I can think of, aside from the parking, however they are now partnering with TriMet to do a free commuter pass for full time employees(in 6 reviews)

1. "PGE COVID-19 Response"

Current Employee - Senior IT Solutions Architect

I have been working at Portland General Electric full-time

Pros

I’ve been a PGE employee for more than eleven years, having the opportunity to work in both Corporate IT and Transmission & Distribution. And COVID-19 is by far the strangest work experience I’ve ever had. As everyone knows, the news is full of stories about companies facing challenges keeping their employees safe or, frankly, just behaving badly, and how employees are concerned for their safety. Even practicing social isolation I’ve had the opportunity to speak with friends, family, and neighbors. The conversation always turns to our shared common situation. During these conversations, and knowing that I work for PGE, I’m thanked for working to keep the power on (though honestly, that is more due to our great front-line employees) and asked how PGE is handling the pandemic… Is PGE providing a safe environment? Have there been layoffs? What about the mental health of employees? Does PGE require everyone to show up at the office. Are managers communicating? When I first answered these questions, it dawned on me how well PGE management was handling these challenging issues. Many people are amazed that PGE is so far ahead of the curve. I tell them (with just a hint of pride) how my immediate manager keeps our team working together and focused on moving projects forward. How she’s set up multiple recurring staff meetings each week to keep us informed and to listen to and address our issues. And she hosts a weekly “Virtual Happy Hour” that is surprisingly well attended. The health check stations in each of our offices. The distribution of masks (including FR rated masks!). The tools provided for those who can work from home. They all add up to a company that is focused not only on getting the job done but doing right by their employees.

Cons

LIke with any company there are always frustrations. Mature employees always look at the bigger picture and realize these frustrations lead to opportunities to improve processes and procedures with just a little effort!

Portland General Electric2020-05-23

"Horrible snotty manager-"

Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Tualatin, OR

I worked at Portland General Electric part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay was good, lots of treats

Cons

If you went to the bathroom it reflected negatively on your on call times, which freaks the managers out. They also structured shifts in a way that they were just long enough that you didn’t get a lunch break, so you had six hours of calls with only a 20 minute break

Portland General Electric2020-05-23

"PGE is Not Some Hot Energy Startup, but Boy, Does It Want to Be...."

Former Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland General Electric full-time for less than a year

Pros

+PGE is trying to adapt quickly to dramatic changes within the Utility industry. This makes for some very interesting opportunities for people with broad utility experience, technical acumen, and workaholic tendencies. +Compensation/benefits are average to above average for the Utility industry, meaning they are pretty good for corporate America. +Decent job security, if you make it through your Trial Service Period. Don't assume you will. +Some flexibility in setting your work hours and working from home. +Intelligent, dedicated coworkers, for the most part.

Cons

+PGE talks a good game about having a culture that values a meaningful work/life balance, but certain departments don't walk that talk. As an hourly employee, you're less likely to be pressured by management to work a lot of extra hours because of a company-wide aversion to paying overtime. But if you're salaried, management will expect you to put in as many hours as they deem necessary for you to achieve their goals within their timeframe. If this means you neglect other aspects of your life (children, relationships, health, etc), so be it. Certain departments mistake themselves for Silicon Valley start-ups (without the opportunity for outsized compensation that comes with any future IPO), and if you push back, be prepared for consequences. This isn't your grandpa's utility. +Make sure your job duties are spelled out clearly in the job description, and stay away from any job with <2 pages' worth of knowledge, skills and duties. If it seems like PGE wants everything and the kitchen sink from a new hire, you can be sure that once they hire you, that kitchen sink will end up being thrown at your head. Repeatedly. +Silos exist. Old antagonisms between departments die hard and can make your work life challenging. +Don't believe quiet promises from your manager that if you "show them something special", you'll be rewarded with a promotion. That's how they use your ambition to burnish their accomplishments, manage up, and work you into an early grave while denying you that promised promotion in favor of someone who "fits the culture better". Worker bees don't get promoted at PGE.

Portland General Electric2020-04-21
  4. "PGE is a great company."

Former Employee - AutoCAD Drafter in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland General Electric full-time for less than a year

Pros

Kind people, a large company that can provide stability.

Cons

A lot of red tape. Being a large company is a two edged sword.

Portland General Electric2020-04-15

"Review of PGE"

I worked at Portland General Electric full-time

Pros

Good benefits and good pay

Cons

Management do not listen to employees, numbers driven rather than customer satisfaction, nepotism

Portland General Electric2020-03-09
  6. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Manager Applications Development

I have been working at Portland General Electric full-time

Pros

Stable and enriching work environment

Cons

No cons so far. I really like working here.

Portland General Electric2020-01-22

"Middle management in Customer Service is exceptionally inept"

I worked at Portland General Electric

Pros

The pay and benefits are good. There are some terrific employees (many of which are frustrated by lack of support.). The company believes in community service.

Cons

If you’re a woman you can probably forget getting promoted at this company and if you do, expect to be micromanaged. Not unusual for managers to say one thing to your face and something entirely different behind your back. HR is there to keep the company out of court, not to help employees. It’s absolutely impossible to know who to trust. And if you’re in your fifties they can’t wait to either show you the door or find a way to make you miserable enough to want to leave on your own accord. Unless, of course, you are a somewhat competent male.

Portland General Electric2020-02-21

"Caution!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Operations

I worked at Portland General Electric full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits are offered at PGE, even in Customer Service.

Cons

Chaos reigns throughout this company. If you are hourly, expect severe micromanagement and plan to work overtime as they are short staffed. If salaried, you will pay dearly for that salary (too much unhealthy stress).

Portland General Electric2020-01-16

""Chaos" would be an understatement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tualatin, OR

I worked at Portland General Electric full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive pay. Benefits are pretty good. 25% reduction in electrical bill.

Cons

Management in both front and back offices of customer service are dysfunctional and that is being kind. Favoritism and cronyism are rampant. A very stressful work environment and laughable micromanaging are the new norm. This has led to a brain drain where a lot of excellent staff have either left or are actively looking to leave . And that is probably okay with PGE. The excellent quote from the review below (see the review "Avoid the HR Dept" below) is thus worth repeating "The company tries to look like they are not discriminating against older workers and tenured employees but if you make people miserable enough they will simply self-select out making it easier to justify your analytics. " . Head count reduction 101.

Portland General Electric2020-01-28

"Let fear be your guide"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Portland General Electric full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Many great people as coworkers who are dedicated and intelligent. Your work is in service to the public and a basic necessity. 25% off your PGE bill. An interesting time to be in energy and for a medium-sized utility PGE is pretty progressive. The strategy is to fight climate change and that’s inspiring. Lots of job variety. Electric vehicle workplace charging. A generous parental leave. Many work locations depending on the type of work you do. Access to PGE Parks. Mass transit pass. Ample 401K match.

Cons

They pay lip service to diversity and inclusion but don’t actually live it (the number of black employees that have been "performance managed" out is staggering meanwhile white heterosexual men have repeatedly been appointed to high profile positions with no formal process; women across the company are talking about the rampant “bro culture” that does not appear to be a red flag to leadership; there is much handwringing about how much “risk” to take in making a stand where other local companies have already done so, i.e. whether to hang pride flags). The soul of the organization is being squashed out by a lackluster officer team that appears to be operating from a place of fear of both the CEO and competition. The two newest officers are more competent but the CIO is provocative for the sake of being so demonstrating flagrant toxic behaviors and being celebrated for it. This used to be a place that cared about the people — to a fault. While things need to change and drastically so, they will fail as they are awash with people in leadership that don’t know how to lead. Talented good employees are jumping ship left and right and senior leadership’s response is that they weren’t a good culture fit. Meanwhile, they are maintaining toxic and/or ineffective people in leadership because they are “strategic.” The place is chaos — people frantically trying to do what they’re held accountable to do in the name of competitive threat meanwhile backstabbing coworkers, blaming, not being accountable and creating utter swirl such that very little gets done.

Portland General Electric2020-01-14