Cover image for Portland General Electric

3.5
Portland General Electric President and CEO Maria Pope
Maria Pope

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good pay, benefits, people, leadership and company vision.(in 31 reviews)
  • "Good benefits and pay.(in 31 reviews)
  • "great people to work with(in 27 reviews)
  • "Great Culture and believe system(in 15 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance.(in 10 reviews)
Cons
  • "If you're labeled as an 'administrative assistant' it is very hard to move up since managers don't think you're capable of doing anything else.(in 14 reviews)
  • "management constant change in performance metrics system that negatively affect yearly review.(in 13 reviews)
  • "There is an overwhelming amount of change taking place with poor leadership to navigate it.(in 7 reviews)
  • "starter that is capable of advocating for yourself and enjoy autonomous work without being micromanaged every 5 seconds, look elsewhere for work.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Upper management is maybe stuck in the past(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Portland General Electric and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Great Job

Sep 27, 2022 - Senior Analyst in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work and fast-paced environment.

Cons

Early mornings and occasional long hours

We appreciate your 5 star review! Thank you for all your hard work! SM

2. 5.0

Good company

Dec 14, 2022 - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

All pros working for this company

Cons

No cons at this time

Portland General Electric Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here.

3. Join the Portland General Electric team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Challenging Work, Excellent Benefits

Jan 22, 2023 - Electrical Engineer in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work and solid benefits. Time off includes vacation and sick days.

Cons

Highly regulated to be expected.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great place to work with some exceptions

Jan 13, 2023 - PI Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, great people, decent work/life balance

Cons

Tribal / hard to get help from outside groups

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Meh company

Dec 19, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits even for part time

Cons

This company uses and abuses it’s employees. Especially on outages, there was two weeks we had to work full 12 hour days seven days with no days off because of an outage. Most of my coworkers were crying and breaking down needing a break after the third day, we were all part time employees for a reason but they said it would have dire consequences if we called off. On normal days of our five hour part time schedule it was always busy and we didn’t have enough coverage for all the calls coming in and it seemed like we were losing co workers by the handfuls

1 person found this review helpful

Portland General Electric Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Customer Service is extremely important to us and we strive to make sure our employees are taken care of too. We are extraordinarily grateful for all your hard work serving our customers during the storms that hit our service area. This month a new class of customer service advisors started and we are currently working right now to hire some more to help meet customer calls. We appreciate you letting us know what is going on and we take these concerns very seriously. You can report your observations confidentially online to Ethics Point or by calling their hotline at 866-384-4277. This website and hotline are managed by a third party vendor.

7. 4.0

Excellent Employer

Dec 26, 2022 - Customer Service Advisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Salary, benefits, hybrid work environment

Cons

Improve outage process by giving customers real estimates for restoration of power.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

On the cutting edge of future challenges, while struggling with some basics.

Jul 7, 2022 - Cyber Security in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Security has the full support of upper management, from the CEO on down. - The majority of the security staff is genuinely committed to protecting the community they serve. - There is incredible potential for growth. - The company is passionately pursuing innovation to solve the energy challenges of the future.

Cons

- The company has a significant amount of dead weight (i.e., retired in place) that slows innovation and dampers the mood. - The security department has grown very fast in a short amount of time, which has led to some capabilities being quite mature, while others are painfully underdeveloped or altogether neglected. - Lacking an agreed upon process to define goals and track progress against them, it can feel at times that priorities are arbitrary and unaligned.

4 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Excellent Company

Dec 1, 2022 - Facilties Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good environment, great people and employees are held to a high standard

Cons

Too many changes in the last few years

10. 4.0
    Former Employee

Manager

Nov 24, 2022 - Manager in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture for this company is very interesting.

Cons

There is a room to move innovation faster.

11. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Employees beware.

Dec 17, 2022 - Senior Strategy Planning Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are competitive. Pay was decent.

Cons

Lack of training, lack of human empathy, deceitful, poor processes, massively understaffed

2 people found this review helpful

Portland General Electric Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Value Differences is one of our Guiding Behaviors and we aim to treat others with respect and recognize the value of different perspectives and cultures. We appreciate you letting us know what is going on and we take these concerns very seriously. You can report your observations confidentially online to Ethics Point or by calling their hotline at 866-384-4277. This website and hotline are managed by a third party vendor.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 258 Reviews
</>Embed

Portland General Electric Reviews FAQs

Portland General Electric has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 306 reviews left anonymously by employees. 73% of employees would recommend working at Portland General Electric to a friend and 55% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Portland General Electric employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Portland General Electric. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

73% of Portland General Electric employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Portland General Electric 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.3 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Portland General Electric to be career development, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Portland General Electric Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Portland General Electric? Share Your Experiences

Portland General Electric logo

Portland General Electric Careers

Cover image for Portland General Electric

For more than 130 years, we’ve been powering the pioneering spirit of our region — keeping energy safe, reliable and responsibly generated....More

• Careers
  • Our Workplace
  • Benefits
  • Diversity

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

45 days ago

Company News
Wednesday, December 14th PGE CEO Maria Pope joined the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, Climate Policy Office and Office of Clean Energy Innovation and Implementation #ElectrificationSummit which explored how electrification can help the United States meet its climate and equity goals. Check out the panel below!
White House Electrification Summit
www.youtube.com

498 days ago

Careers
Now hiring Customer Service Advisors! What is it like to be an Advisor at PGE? Customers rely on PGE to keep the lights on; and PGE relies on its Advisors to be there when a storm hits, or a tough call comes in. Advisors must be reliable, respectful, empathetic and resourceful. The stakes are high, but the work is rewarding, and we make it fun, too. There is no script to follow, no hard sales and no outgoing call quota to reach. PGE Advisors focus on the customer and work on fast-paced, motivated teams, receive coaching and feedback from highly trained supervisors, learn about green renewable resources, energy efficiency, and enjoy working as a trusted energy advisor.
Bill help - message from a customer
www.youtube.com

Portland General Electric Photos

+ Add Photo
Portland General Electric photo of: Employees volunteer with SOLVE
Portland General Electric photo of: Partners in Diversity at the Diversity Summit 2018
Portland General Electric photo of: We're #FullCleanAhead to a #CleanEnergyFuture

Have you worked here?

NIKE

4.2

13,119 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 306 Portland General Electric reviews submitted anonymously by Portland General Electric employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Portland General Electric is right for you.