Portland Resourcing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Paul Birch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Nice buzz in the envirnmonent"

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Portland Resourcing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good environment and nice colleaugues

Cons

SAP Recruitment getting too competitive

2. "Do not work for this business"

Pros

Friendly bunch of employees. Good location.

Cons

The owner has no real clue about how to drive business growth, create engagement or a pleasant place to work. The CEO at the time - some wide boy who thought he was all that. Micro-managed to within an inch of your life, long hours and would fire people like it was going out of business.

Advice to Management

Owner to be hands off. No involvement in the day to day operations. Put your senior leaders through training. Or maybe just cut your losses and close.

3. "Small man syndrome"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Portland Resourcing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, they have brought on a diverse range of backgrounds and ethnicities to truely give the company diversity. Their training and committment to be the best was very good until the change in organisational structure sucked the life out of everyone. The only reason people stay is because of the high character individuals they employ.

Cons

Poor incentives and the owner treats people like tissues - use one and on with the next, even if you are performing highly. Sometimes, if you are doing well they will manage you out so they do not have to pay your commission. The hours and management are so rigid, it does not allow for any flexibilty what so ever. The micro management is at its most extreme with everything, and I mean everything, is monitored closely. The top management alienates people and causes conflict by having people choose sides. They also sell candidates and clients on having 6-8 offices, but can barely keep 1 (London) open.

Advice to Management

Stuck in 1996

4. "Account Manager"

I worked at Portland Resourcing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Portland during a turbulent time. Since then, the company has shrunk in size but it has become more coherent, with new leadership that has clear goals to grow the company to a better self.

Great working environment within a compact international team of professionals, each possessing years of experience within the recruitment industry in their niche area who are willing to give advice and guidance at all times.

Good place for a determined and result-driven graduate to gain real-life exposure to big multinational businesses and further develop their personal and professional skills within a fast-paced business environment where you have full ownership to your success.

Excellent sales training provided with no false promises given!

Cons

Low basic salary and a commission structure which is not in favour of new employees joining the company who have no experience in the recruitment industry.

The appointment of a new Sales Director was way over due.

Advice to Management

Ensure the successful implementation of the changes which you currently have in mind.

5. "A true pleasure to work for"

Current Employee - Office Coordinator in West End, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Office Coordinator in West End, England (UK)

I have been working at Portland Resourcing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A friendly and close culture, a strong work ethic is held throughout all employees and managers. Portland have a great history of 20 years behind them making its network huge.

Cons

not many cons come to mind for Portland

6. "Delivery associate"

Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Portland Resourcing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good office environment
    Commission structure
    Good support
    Exposure to SAP and Change Management. Teaches you where to look if you want to be within those fields.
    Ping Pong table
    Great location with good places to eat locally

Cons

Long hours (10 Hours per day) with expectation for more if needed
    Low end of the pay scale £21,000 basic
    High turn over of staff

Advice to Management

Expand Change management - every deal seemed to be coming from that end.
    Rework database as certain areas where impossible to search effectively. Need more niche modules outlined accurately
    Stock emails are a crutch and more developed and personalised emails provide a better experience to potential candidates

7. "Account Manager Full-time"

I worked at Portland Resourcing full-time

Pros

When I joined Portland I did so as I thought they had a nice friendly environment. I also believe they would invest in their employees and that they had a low turn-over. Furthermore, I was attracted by the fact that they had an international work force. Unfortunately only the last point proved to be true.

Cons

At first Portland Resourcing seems to have a friendly environment and to be a nice place to work for. As they like to put it, they believe they are different from all other recruitment agencies in the UK. They like to say they are professional and offer a great customer service, as well as having a great environment and low employee turn-over. That couldn't be further from the truth though, as in the 5 months I've worked there I saw more than 20 people (within a company of around 30 employes) leaving or being fired, with no aparent reason or further justification.
    They kept hiring new people almost every week just for them to leave or to be fired as fast as they had been hired.
    They do sell very well that they are different and how good they are, as well as how much money you will earn (easily). But then again I've hardly seen anyone bringing home any comission at all.
    By the time I worked there, there was a lack of positions to work on, which was the responsibility of the managers, but they truly expected that someone with no experience and poor training to bring multinational clients within 3 months in the company. The time I was there I've never seen anyone with less than 1 year/ 1 year and a half bring any clients at all, neither any money home. Most of them were fired or left before achieving anything. Contrarily to what they say, they do fire anyone who doesn't make a placement within the first few months of employment.

To add to the already mentioned above, the company has recently been changing its whole structure, as well as its comission structure and incentives, something that they forgot to inform the employees about. They decided to change everything and leave the employees out of the process. As a consequence of all the changes imposed and the lack of clarification from the management, even the employees who have been with the company for a long time have left. That also includes the former CEO, which after 11 years decided to leave.

The real environment at Portland is of instability and uncertainty. The management tried to hide it by buying a ping pong table to make the company a nicer place, but employees hardly have time to enjoy it as they are even denied to have a snack when working on a contract. There's no respect gor eorking hours either. The worse is really that they show no recognition for your hard work. If you don't make a placement (no matter the circumstances), you are never recognized. The problem is that most of the times that's out of the employees reach, therefore being a weak and unfair KPI.

Advice to Management

The main problem with Portland is the lack of investment on employees and new hires. A better training should be developed. More transparency towards employees would also improve the high turn-over rates, as most people leave when they understand that the idea that was sold to them couldn't be further from the truth. If Portland wants to thrive the management should really focus on lowering the absurdly high turn-over rates as it only brings instability and uncertainty. Even when compared with other recruitment agencies Portland has above average turn-over rates, which should be a matter of concern, specially when even older employees leave the company.

8. "Good company to work for....."

Pros

Great people, management and environment to work in. If you put the hard work in they will support you.

Cons

Commission structure could be better

9. "Summer internship review"

Former Employee - Summer Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in London, England (UK)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Portland Resourcing. The people were incredibly friendly and helpful at all times. The environment was professional and friendly and the work was interesting and done to a very high standard.

As an intern I was supported and trained very well, and the company gave me a great look at the recruitment industry. I have since started to pursue a full career in recruitment.

Cons

At no point did I feel any discontent or displeasure in my time at Portland.

10. "Good company, great people."

Former Employee - Delivery Associate in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Delivery Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at Portland Resourcing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I greatly enjoyed my time at Portland, the people are great and the atmosphere was never dull. Also, the continuous training and support was refreshing. Plus, they just got a ping pong table!

Cons

Hours can be a little unpredictable but that should be expected of any recruitment job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing