Portland State University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Rahmat Shoureshi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The staff are good people, there is excellent stability, and you can't beat the work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and convenient location (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay considering many of us have PhD (in 18 reviews)

• Even though they offer major educational discounts, it is hard to schedule time away from the full-time positions for classes (in 9 reviews)

1. "worked here 4 yrs"

Current Employee - Student Worker
    Current Employee - Student Worker

I have been working at Portland State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good opportunities to get involved on campus

Cons

not that I can think of

Advice to Management

na

2. "Office of Information Technology (OIT)"

Current Employee - Executive Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Executive Support Specialist

I have been working at Portland State University full-time

Pros

OIT claims that their number one value is their employees, and from my perspective this has definitely been true. While not everyone will be happy here all of the time, management is flexible and open-minded about what they can do differently to make the department a better and more inclusive place to work. Over the years I have seen this department grow in some pretty significant ways. My professional development is taken extremely seriously by my manager and I have learned so much while in this position. I am excited to continue to watch the department grow into what it is visioning to become, and to develop in my personal and professional list along the way.

Cons

Higher Ed is undervalued and therefore underfunded.

3. "Office of Information Technology - Love it!"

I have been working at Portland State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked in the Office of Information Technology for over a decade and have seen it change significantly in that period of time. It is now a place with great leadership who cares about employees, as evidenced by strong commitment to work/life balance, commitment to professional development, scheduling flexibility, and more. The culture is welcoming, and OIT works daily to support university's mission. The CIO (Kirk Kelly) has worked hard to make OIT a really amazing place to work and it shows in the culture and happiness of the employees.

PSU itself is committed to learning, inclusion, and community engagement, which is a really awesome thing to work towards. There are many opportunities for meeting interesting people, finding cool classes to take at a huge discount, getting involved with resource centers or affinity groups, and working closely with the student body to really feel connected to impacting their lives through education. It is a large, varied university with a great diverse population of students, faculty, and staff, and I love that I am a part of it.

Cons

Unfortunately, the tech industry has pretty low diversity, and while OIT is committed to creating an inclusive workspace, it still has a ways to go in terms of having a diverse set of employees.

The PSU cons are not abnormal for higher ed. The bureaucracy of a public organization and shared governance can slow processes down, which doesn't really bother me, but can be a culture shock to others. There is silo'ing and occasionally adversity across the university between different areas, especially between the academic and non-academic sides. In an area (public education) that has slowly been defunded by public funds, the lack of state or federal budgetary support is not only disheartening, but it leads to frustration when good initiatives that would benefit the university (such as more staffing in some areas or better technical infrastructure) simply aren't able to be funded.

Advice to Management

Inside OIT: Keep doing what you're doing, you are awesome.

Outside OIT/University Administration: Focus on the employee experience more. PSU maybe focused on education, but that can't happen without dedicated employees (faculty and staff alike) who need to be treated well in order to support the mission.

4. "has turned in to a very different place in the last 5+ years"

I worked at Portland State University full-time

Pros

most academic departments are staffed with great staff and faculty

Cons

many of upper "management" came from the private sector and have not nor seem to want to adapt to the academic culture

Advice to Management

Get rid of several of the top-heavy positions and (the ones that were created 7-10 years ago)

5. "Faculty"

Pros

Good location
    Lots of resources that are readily available to the employees and the students alike, good community outreach going on

Cons

Faculty do not care about students, virtually no time is spent on trying to teach well. They are more focused on research to the point that teaching is not a priority. Only the underpaid adjuncts are doing a good job, and the department is exploiting them.

Advice to Management

Incentivize the teaching and pick based on teaching, because the way it’s going now, you will lose the main source of your income

6. "Grad Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great professional experience, helpful feedback from supervisors.

Cons

Work performed exceeded time compensated.

7. "Academic Peer Advisor"

Pros

Diversity, helping fellow students to succeed, valuable learning experiences, a feeling of family.

Cons

No REAL cons, but if I had to name one, it would just be that there's a LOT to know about the job. The good part of that is that the permanent SBA staff are very generous with their time and advice.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Graduate Assistantship Well Worth It"

Current Employee - Marketing & Communications Graduate Assistant — School of Business in Portland, OR

I have been working at Portland State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Valuable real world work experience similar to internship or contract hire
    - Good flexibility — able to focus on school when necessary
    - Huge cost savings on graduate education
    - Leads to valuable connections with the Portland business community

Cons

- As a temporary position, work responsibilities generally do not scale up much over time
    - Slim budgets leave some work teams spread thin with not much resources
    - University-wide institutional constraints can limit department autonomy

9. "School Review"

I worked at Portland State University part-time

Pros

Great place to work ! Family friendly campus.

Cons

Portland city is has higher standard of living.

10. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Portland State University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and insurance, great if you have kids going to in-state public universities

Cons

slow and chilling, sometimes it's very boring