Portrait Innovations Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Grosso

Pros
  • Pay is good for someone with no experience (in 26 reviews)

• Pay is great, working with kids, co workers are funny (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Holiday season you can expect up to 90 (in 34 reviews)

• Must maintain a high sales average, or your hours will be cut (in 34 reviews)

1. "No freedom"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer

I have been working at Portrait Innovations part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It really is a fun job, you learn different posing and techniques as you go, staff is very friendly and willing to help.

Cons

no benefits for part timers, only a max of 16 hours a week, but they overwork you during the holiday season

2. "Studio Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Associate, Assistant Manager, Studio Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Associate, Assistant Manager, Studio Manager

I have been working at Portrait Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company will take care of you if you are a hard worker, honest and perform all job duties to the expected standards. Pays well and you are in control of your own success. Move up into management quickly if the shoe fits, or take your time moving up. But. You will move up if you want it. It's a career. Not a job.

Cons

Individual studio managers contribute a lot to your experience with the company... as all jobs tend to soccumb to. If a tight cookie manager is calling the shots and you don't like it, your in for a rough day. Staying positive, having a resiliant personality, positive attitude and utilizing the open door policies as well as working hard and putting your job duties above all will likely pay off, as it tends to outlive the negative reign and a new manager will be soon to come...they have a job to do and protocols to enforce. Stay drama free, love the company you work for and the products they deliver and you will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

Stay drama free. Love your company. Love the people you work with. Be fair. Be firm but be reasonable. Happy staff equals happy environment...equals happy customers, ending in happy sales. Stay above the red line.... mind over matter. Showtime cam be taught but it's also a personality. Be fair and transarent. Don't get caught up with your own emotions on a situation, try to stay partial and remember that you can get results many ways. Follow the protocols, policies and procedures, don't shortcut the process. There is no way you can fail if you start the sale with a smile over the phone, to when you exit the customer from studio. Showtime can't work alone nor can the software work alone. It's an entirety. Train all staff thoroughly and make each associate love the company as well. Stick through the rough patches and work hard, you won't go wrong.

3. "Photographer"

Pros

Good Pay and fun work environment.

Cons

Bad sales structure that leaves workers stressed.

5. "Abandon Ship! It takes a certain type of person to work here."

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally fun. Taking photos and coming up with new poses was a blast. fun co-workers, playing with the kids (and sometimes parents with a good sense of humor). WAS a great company to work for with amazing values and fantastic, innovative ideas.

Cons

STRESSFUL especially around Christmas and Easter! The company has lost control and forgotten what the customers want. The company is cutting budgets, scheduling employees to work less but take longer lunch breaks to have coverage, and implementing unnecessary changes.

Also, booking 105 appointments in one day with only 6 to 9 associates is POSSIBLE, BUT you will NOT run on time and you will NOT have happy staff or customers. IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

Long hours, long lunch breaks causing much time spent away from home. As a manager, I was scheduled 45 hours/week which is great since they pay you the overtime, however, the 2-4 hour lunch breaks each day caused so much time away from home. I have children and I was completely missing out on them growing up!

Advice to Management

Give up. You once thrived and now you've failed. Sell out to someone younger and smarter than you to save the dying business.

6. "It's Great!"

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time

Pros

I love sales, I love people, I love photography!

Cons

i mean, I got laid off, so... also holidays

7. "Pros and Cons - average retail job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learning about the mechanics of the camera, learning how to pose and general interaction with customers. Coworkers were great and overall experience was ok.

Cons

Had to maintain an average which was hard when they sold a 9.99 package. Blackout dates were rough and I missed my husbands graduation because of it.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the average and black out dates.

8. "Portrait Hell"

Former Employee - Studio Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Studio Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay and mondays off every week

Cons

80+ hours a week during holidays with no time off.

9. "You are a number"

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Pleasant Prairie, WI
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Pleasant Prairie, WI

I have been working at Portrait Innovations (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for entry level position. Consistent hours. Off the same days every week. You can now wear jeans to work!

Cons

The company does not care about you or your family. If there is a sudden death in the family or an emergency, pray it's not during blackout. You need to keep your sales average steady or they WILL fire you or coerce you to quit.

Advice to Management

More compassion, less attitude and belittling.

10. "Management promised it was permanent not seasonal, but they lied"

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time

Pros

Starting pay was decent for the area

Cons

All of management lies about positions, they don't care about your job (especially the regional managers). They don't care about quality of photography or the customers, only whether or not you make a sale. I was also promised that it was not seasonal work and then they "downsized" after Christmas. I was repeatedly reassured that I would keep my job, but they really just needed extra Christmas help. I am an experienced photographer, but I was told they don't care about photography skills, only how much you can sell. They expect you to talk the customers into buying a package (it's ridiculous what they expect). They are a horrible company with horrible management. Do yourself a favor don't work here, especially if you are an actual photographer.

Advice to Management

Start actually caring about your internal AND external customers and not just the almighty dollar!

11. "Pretty Horrid up and down"

Former Employee - Photographer in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Photographer in Naperville, IL

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to try to make people smile for a living, which is nice. However, the company does everything it can in order to make it difficult

Cons

There was no actual direction from management. Simply demands. No room for creativity as a photographer. 70+ hour weeks during peak season. Time off was given, but almost the entire year is black-out so you'll never use it. Mgmt wont let you call off sick. I was actually so sick I threw up on my work pants and had to use my lunch break to go buy new pants to get back to work. Company promised a year-end bonus, but I was laid off before I could get it. They make you sign a Non-arbitration agreement, so there was no way I could take them to court for the bonus I was owed according to my hiring paperwork. Was told if I met my performance goal I wouldn't be at risk for loosing my job. I met the goal for the entire year, then around January (end of peak, beginning of slow season) they moved the goal, resulting in my getting laid off less than a week later. I worked hard to prove myself and came out the other side with one fewer pair of pants, and nothing else to show for it.

Advice to Management

I would try to give advice, but the management is so inhumane from top to bottom that I see no point in trying to offer any.