Portrait Innovations Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
John Grosso

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay is good for someone with no experience (in 27 reviews)

• Pay is great, working with kids, co workers are funny (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Must maintain a high sales average, or your hours will be cut (in 39 reviews)

• Holiday season you can expect up to 90 (in 36 reviews)

1. "Could have used more training"

I worked at Portrait Innovations part-time

Pros

Happy customers, some photo freedom

Cons

Not enough training, pressure to upsell

Advice to Management

Provide more training and how to deal with kids.

"Studio Associate/Photographer"

Former Employee - Studio Associate
    Former Employee - Studio Associate

I worked at Portrait Innovations (More than a year)

Pros

Great photography experience for a beginning photographer and if you are social can make a lot of good connections.

Cons

Horrible leadership from the top. Company practices are all about cramming as many appointments in as little time with as few employees as possible. No incentive for meeting their narcissistic sales goals and just an all around poorly executed business model.

Advice to Management

Focus on giving your employees actual incentive to perform f you're going to be sales driven. Also, if you're actually about TRUE customer satisfaction, you'd make employee morale a top priority.

"Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Savannah, GA

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of hours, Fun working with families and kids

Cons

Management is horrible, sometimes we didnt get a break and because a break was required the manager would have us go on break right before it was time for us to go home.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees and their health

4. "Stay away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Maybe the cute kids but other than that there are no pros to working here. I thought this would be a good job for me to get my foot in the door and make connections for my own photography but I was mistaken.

Cons

The pay is not enough for how much you have to do. You are pressured to upsell but you really don’t get any incentive. If sales is such a big deal to this company I feel that employees should at least receive commission. And let’s be honest the package prices are ridiculous for the lack of time and effort put into these pictures.

Benefits are nonexistent, the insurance is trash, no dental, no 401k, pretty much expected to work overtime and sell your soul and happiness away.

When customers aren’t in they talk bad about the customers sometimes in ways that I felt were racist. I understand that it’s frustrating to have to deal with all these kids and then parents who only come in for the special (I mean what do you expect you advertise the special so much) and the quality of the photos is really not worth more than $50

Advice to Management

If you are upset about how much customers come in for the special get rid of it. It really isn’t a good business move because people really only want the special and then we frustrate them into buying something that they don’t want/can’t afford. With this special your market has become people who cannot afford anything more. Reduce the package prices instead space photo sessions out more and spend more time on actually making the photos look good and the customers having a good experience. People will buy what they feel is good quality and valuable.

5. "Photographer"

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time

Pros

flexible hours and not bad compensation

Cons

No training, management was horrible

6. "Forced to Work Off the Clock"

I worked at Portrait Innovations part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of customers are excellent. Taking photos of kids and family events can be fun and emotionally rewarding.

Cons

The company is so concerned with meeting sales goals that it punishes you for trying to help customers. I often left work feeling skeevy because of company pressure to upsell or straight up lie to customers to encourage them to buy more.

The studio would regularly force me to clock out so that I would not receive overtime (they would threaten to fire my manager, who was very sweet, if any of us accidentally worked overtime) but schedule appointments for me to work during those hours anyway. Very often, a customer would show up with an appointment and we'd be obligated to help them even though we were off the clock and not getting paid.

This was ESPECIALLY true during the holiday season, when the company would book sessions for us multiple times in an hour. We have 2 cameras and 2 photo rooms in the studio, and yet corporate books us 3 families to do 60-photo shoots with in 45 minutes? And then comes down on us when the customers aren't in and out during that timeframe? Insane.

There was no 2 weeks notice. If you mention interest in leaving or quitting, the studio fires you on the spot.

7. "Portrait Innovations"

I worked at Portrait Innovations part-time

Pros

No pros to working here

Cons

Working here was stressful and required you to devote all of your mental energy and spirit towards the job. Ruined life at home, very unprofessional managers, and bad experience overall.

Advice to Management

Try not to hit on underage male employees and talk about sex at work.

"Best to avoid this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people I worked with. As elsewhere, there are some good, professional people there, and others not so good.

Cons

The company doesn't reward employees, and the benefits are minimal.
    The atmosphere at work is tense and very stressful.
    The management has made some really bad decisions which helped bring the company to bankruptcy.

9. "Outdated and Close Minded Perspective"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Duluth, GA

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work if you like the JCPenny Photo Booth style environment and love taking pictures of families or children.

Cons

Poor outlook on photographers in general and outdated business acumen for photographic demand. Photographers' work is constantly judged by a corporate team of "professional picture judgers" that have no experience as photographers. Deals on picture packages often to not meet customer needs and require $75-100 purchases just to acquire a CD.

Advice to Management

Talk with corporate about updating their standards and expectations and provide customers with products they actually want.

10. "Great when in management"

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time

Pros

supportive regional manager, fun work environment, great people to work with

Cons

long hours, especially during holiday season, (but it is specialized retail),