Potawatomi Bingo and Casino Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Goodrich

Pros
  • it has good pay and good benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Free tickets to some shows/events (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a 24/7 business so night are weekend shifts are common (in 4 reviews)

• Not a con for me but you will most likely work nights at start, and if full time little days off and no call offs or it can hurt (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work for

Cons

Long hours never close overtime

Advice to Management

Trust people who really work give them a chance

2. "vault main banker"

Current Employee - Vault Main Banker in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Vault Main Banker in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

free tickets, benefits plan decent

Cons

hard to get vacation days, pay doesn't match the job required, primarily negative workin environment

Advice to Management

take some of the adice from individuals that actually perform the job, raise the pay your receiving millions daily

3. "Executive Host"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

The benefits and pay are great! HR is readily accessible and provides valuable training to ensure a safe work environment. There are opportunity for career advancement.

Cons

In my experience management did not provide the needed leadership to maximize their employees performance. Department training was sub-par at best.

Advice to Management

Develop better more effective training programs. Improve management visibility. Create more cohesive positive work environments in effort to maximize team members performance.

5. "Hostess Fire Keepers Club; Slot Attendant, Cash Desk Clerk Money Room, Table Game Dealer 1"

Former Employee - Casino Hospitality Representative in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Casino Hospitality Representative in Hayward, CA

I worked at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working for almost 10 years for the biggest casino and premier entertainment destination in the Midwest, I have accumulated an exceptional experience i all aspects of the customer service and hospitality.

Cons

Very difficult to keep a good attendance, having in mind the very cold climate and the emergencies situations in Wisconsin. But it was my very strong achievement for every evaluation at the year end.

Advice to Management

To continue the successful business .

6. "Steward 2"

Current Employee - Kitchen Stewart & Chip Runner/Poker Dealer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Kitchen Stewart & Chip Runner/Poker Dealer in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Lead others into success into finishing the job at hand that was giving to us

Cons

Working as a team and having other team member working on the same level

Advice to Management

Interactive with workers more often as possible and see what you could do to help them achieve there goals

7. "Audio Visual Technician"

Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall I feel that the Potawatomi AV Department teaches many relevant skills that can help in future endeavors. The work load in the AV Department is typically manageable and relatively easy based on your skill set. My manager is a very fair individual, and understands a lot of the issues with this company. The benefits (health care and 401k) that the company offers are also pretty good. This is a pretty easy place to get into, so if you need a resume stuffer look no further.

Cons

A majority of the issues that I have with my employment at Potawatomi Hotel and Casino is based on compensation. To illustrate my point the base rate for my full time job is $12.84 an hour. If you do the math my salary on a yearly basis (before taxes) is $26,707.20. As a Audio Visual Technician. Personally, I have invested time, money and schooling to pursue my career path, that being said even without those burdens most people will not be able to live comfortably off of the wages offered by Potawatomi for this position. Glassdoor just recently rolled out a salary prediction tool that showed me that I am being compensated 24.3 percent under my market worth in Milwaukee. That translated to an 8,000 dollar a year pay reduction for my skills. Glassdoor shows that the average market rate is almost double what Potawatomi pays; as a side note... For the level of self management and projects I need to perform/ accomplish on a day to day basis I am grossly under paid for the amount of resources I have invested into my career path. Another disappointing aspect of working in the AV Department at Potawatomi is that the PTO you make is the same as any other floor worker... You'll end up working projects that are at least two times more difficult than a bartender or table games dealer and get the same rate of PTO. Not to mention that you should just say goodbye to spending any time with your family on major holidays due to mandatory "blackout days". Another huge problem with this department is the lack of any overtime. Management just doesn't want to pay for any overtime for a technician even if it is needed. To summarize a majority of the issue I have working for Potawatomi is based on the compensation package. I'm not asking to make 60k a year; however, I do feel that I would be a lot happier at a wage of around 40k versus 27k.

Advice to Management

Look at your compensation package and realize that some of the skilled workers, in particular, are not thrilled about working holidays, with no overtime and poor PTO accrual rates. If wages aren't responsive to the market at large you can't be mad about a 40% (or more) turnover rate.

8. "Table games dealer"

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Carter, Forest, WI
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Carter, Forest, WI

I worked at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Get to meet lots of great people. Get to learn lots of other games and table security so all involved get a great gaming experience.

Cons

Lots of time away from the family work lots of hours depending on business needs. Have to sometimes deal with some pretty obnoxious people.

Advice to Management

Help more when you see that customers are starting to get out of control. Also remember to be equal to all employees so that the may get the home time that they need with their families.

9. "Total entertainment!"

Current Employee - WISCONSIN in East Troy, WI
    Current Employee - WISCONSIN in East Troy, WI

I have been working at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stress free fun environment! Never a dull moment!

Cons

Working nights and weekends gets difficult after awhile.

Advice to Management

Management should listen to employees and have round table meetings.

10. "Good for short term"

Former Employee - Valet in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Valet in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Guaranteed hours, open 24 hours, overtime available, fun coworkers and never a dull moment. Benefits including 401k and health.

Cons

If you have worked there a long time and retire you might have to go back to work eventually. No loyalty to good workers! Customers order you around like they are gods. I understand you have to please the guests but we are people that deserve respect also. "We pay your salary " was used a lot I always said thank you but inside I'm thinking everyone pays everyone's salary... Economy.

Advice to Management

Value your good employees and take suggestions. A lot of us have worked there a long time and suggestions from some people come from a bad place but most of us genuinely wanted to help. They have a lot of new management with no management background so I think taking advice with grace would be nice.

11. "Line or Perp Cook"

Former Employee - Line Or Prep Cook in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Line Or Prep Cook in Chicago, IL

I worked at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love to cook I have been a cook going on 25 year now I'm safe-serv certified
    I been at the Potawatomi bingo casino & hotel for 16 years when I started is a lot of
    fun

Cons

I have no abjection on any job but all know I love to cook and hope to finish and maybe some day own my own restaurant

Advice to Management

May be some day when I finish school