Potbelly Sandwich Works Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.9
Potbelly Sandwich Works President and CEO Aylwin B. Lewis
Aylwin B. Lewis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay, easy job, great people (in 26 reviews)

• Easy to move up in the company if you are in a city with a couple stores (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management didn't care about associates as they should (in 37 reviews)

• Scheduling issues, low pay, overworked (in 24 reviews)

"The job itself isn't bad. Constant staffing issues..."

Current Employee - General Manager in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ample opportunity for advancement. The job itself is easy. Great bonus potential. Can work a Monday through Friday work week in most shops.

Cons

People advancing before they are ready. For a company headquartered in Chicago, you would think that there would be a little more support from support center in recruiting...

Advice to Management

Stop saying "high growth is messy" and clean up the mess

2. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Certified Trainer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Certified Trainer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are a great company to work for always trying to improve and create a better experience for its employees and the customers

Cons

Used to be a simple company , feel like they have sold out over the years . Everyone needs to adapt but don't forget why people love potbelly in the first place .

Advice to Management

Be open minded about the employees that work for potbelly, we will always work hard as long as you continue to treat your employees with respect

3. "I Was Sold a Dream and Given a Nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some friendly people that you can really bond with. If you consider self teaching with zero reference material and lack of resources a pro, there are plenty of opportunities available.

Cons

Management is not held accountable at all. Employees that slave daily in the support center are not rewarded. The hiring practice in my department is terrible; manger hired without any management experience nor any lead roles in their work history, team members that struggle to perform the basic functions of their jobs, multiple employees hired with obviously fake experience on their resume's that can be easily exposed.

The company lost it's most profitable location due to all of the above...what a joke.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing staff to get away with years of terrible performance. Hold management accountable to their teams; lack of coaching, direction, and integrity should not be tolerated.

4. "Incredible job at a rapidly growing company"

Former Employee - Shift Lead in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Shift Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great culture, training, and support from management
    -Plenty of room to grow
    -Fair pay and benefits offered
    -Always a fun and energetic place to work

Cons

-Really early mornings for stores w/ breakfast
    -Catering can be difficult to manage at times
    -Raises are usually small

5. "Musician"

Current Freelancer - Musician in Chicago, IL
    Current Freelancer - Musician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love playing music! Good place to play and hear good music.

Cons

No amps?! No hear!!! No amps! Not fair to musicians!

Advice to Management

It's a shame that all of potbellys musicians are being punished for a few knuckleheads that don't know how to turn an amp down. I have played pb's for a few years now and loved it. Now that no-one can hear me ( can't hear myself most of the time)it has taken all of the good out of it. It's demoralizing as a musician. It's almost to the point of embarrassing! Knowing that I'm sitting there playing my heart out and for what?! I'm wondering if this is just the first step to getting rid of musicians altogether. I'm sure you lost a lot of musicians as soon as this rule came into effect, and musicians are not going to want to sign up if they can't be heard at all.

6. "Potbelly"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, fast paced , good benefits, flexible schedule. Management pretty much gets free food ! As long as you follow your red book your shifts should always be successful

Cons

You will get some bad apples but mostly everyone hired at potbelly has great energy. Rushes are busy and you have to make sure you are set up correctly for those rushes or your shift will be a bust!

Advice to Management

You don't have a job without your staff , make sure to treat them well and remember to praise them ! Help build them up . Upper management gets really good bonuses but I've hardly ever seen them used to better the store or give back to their staff !

7. "Probably the best you can get in fast food"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Enjoyed all of my co-workers, I imagine it isn't the same at most stores though
    -Busy enough to not be bored, but not too busy that it's stressful (except for Saturdays, ugh)
    -Changing available hours or requesting days off is very easy
    -Multiple and very accessible opportunities for associates to get a raise or even a promotion

Cons

-Lots of superfluous "work" when the GM is around
    -"Culture meetings" for new associates are like a trip back to high school, such a waste of time. Sporadic meetings about menu changes and other things are also covered over the course of an hour long time waste of a 7 AM meeting (I was able to get away with skipping these at my store, thankfully)
    -Lots of shift covering, asked to stay late or come in early
    -Unpaid breaks but you only get a %50 discount on meals (and only one per shift)

Advice to Management

Stop the meetings entirely. At my store I was able to skip these after unfortunately wasting my time and waking up early to attend two of them. Any information given in these hour-long boredom exercises were quickly summed up to me in 5 minutes my following shift. The culture meetings were just a joke and honestly made me angry to had to have put up with. Getting paid for going to these does not excuse making me get up early, drive there, sit on my butt bored (or in the case of the culture meetings, absolutely tortured with childish crap), then drive back to my house just so I can come back for my shift in two hours.

8. "Fast, fresh, friendly"

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Deep discounts
    Great customers and middle/high management
    Benefits plan + PTO for Shift Lead position and above
    Competitive pay
    Relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Long hours
    Often covering shifts, staying late, coming in early
    Short staff sometimes skeleton crews for the sake of labor saving

Advice to Management

We should still be able to wear whatever pins we want on our hats. Also, bring back the incentive program.

9. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Munster, IN

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are nice to work with and the food is good.

Cons

Can get super busy and hectic, customers can talk down to you and be rude, only get 50% off when you work not when you come in when you are off.

Advice to Management

Give a free meal to employees, even with the half off still half of what I make in a hour, and if an employee comes in when they are not working give them 50% off.

10. "Shift lead"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in South Barrington, IL
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in South Barrington, IL

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good pay, good people

Cons

Promotion movement is delayed at times

Advice to Management

Continue the good work