Potbelly Sandwich Works Reviews | Glassdoor

Potbelly Sandwich Works Reviews

Updated August 8, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay, easy job, great people (in 26 reviews)

• Easy to move up in the company if you are in a city with a couple stores (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management didn't care about associates as they should (in 37 reviews)

• Scheduling issues, low pay, overworked (in 24 reviews)

1. "Productive"

Pros

The training you receive is great. They make sure are well equipped before you're left on your own. You are able to learn how to operate different areas on the line.

Cons

It takes a while to remember all of the portion sizes, and ingredients. There's not much room to advance in the store.

"Hot mess"

Current Employee - Prep Cook in Pasadena, MD
    Current Employee - Prep Cook in Pasadena, MD

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training, relaxed, simple tasks

Cons

Scheduling issues, low pay, overworked

Advice to Management

Hire more employees & evenly distri

3. "Great place!"

Pros

Awesome, exciting, great people, friendly staff

Cons

nothing I enjoyed everything.

4. "Chill Environment -- Lazy Management"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time

Pros

Environment can be fun
    Many locations
    Decent starting pay
    Flexible with school schedule
    Easy job all around

Cons

Extremely lazy management and coworkers
    Coworkers on their phones constantly
    Management only cares about customer happiness
    New people given lots of work since management and coworkers don't do much work
    Management never checks on employee complaints/ concerns
    Lots of coworkers with bad/hostile attitudes
    Micromanaged about how to slap on cheese and meat on bread
    Poor overall communication between management and employees

Advice to Management

Please look into what employees are actually doing on tbe back of the line. Most of your best workers leave because lazy people do nothing, management never checks the floor (unless to do nightly bookeeping)and hard working people get tired. My manager used to sit in the back most of his shift! Also, Potbelly losing the Midway store will impact already dwindling sales much more than the company lets on. More than that, Potbelly typically 20 something's that just want to move up, give them the chance!Most of us young people are committed to the mission and values, but managers want to stay in their positions for a long time. Lastly, I think the company needs to reshape how coworkers and management work together. The level of communication was terrible and truly hurt how associates view managers.

5. "Potbelly"

Former Employee - Potbelly Assistant Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Potbelly Assistant Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with a great group of people in the store setting. It really is the best sandwich, made with quality products

Cons

Zero work life balance. Scheduled 50 hours on the floor and anything extra (inventory, district meetings, schedule, etc) was on top of the 50. I never got off at my scheduled time.

6. "Stressful Hell In Sugar Coated Disguise"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Denver, CO

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tasks are simple

No previous food preparation or cooking experience required

Room for advancement

Great insurance

Good pay

Paid breaks

Small staff at each store

Shorts are an acceptable uniform component

Non slip shoes are not required

T-Shirts are fun

Some of the leadership tools the company developed are helpful for framing problems, even outside of work

Some really nice people work there

Cons

No shift meals or drinks until you earn a promotion, and even then it is still pretty limited

Seemingly innocent company values are used in a cult-like, discriminatory, and hypocritical manner. Part of The Potbelly Advantage is to accept the Potbelly Advantage as your personal life values.

Steritech/Ecosure audits, which are stricter then the health department

Potbelly Fans are the worst customers I have ever served

My store specifically didn't have enough freezer space, so I frequently had to waste moldy or stale bread, sometimes against management's advice. Customers would sometimes notice the mold before I would, which never feels good.

You are exposed to customers constantly. The whole line is visible to customers and you are expected to talk to them while you make their food. Prep (except slicing) mostly happens in the front of house, facing customers. You won't even know how truly stressful it is until you don't have to deal with it anymore....

You have to refuse tips

Cannot be in the store alone as a keyholder. Sounds like a great accountability system until you are forced to keep teenagers there late. Or when you open and cannot start until an associate is there. You become dependent on the presence of people with less pay, experience, and responsibility than you just to open the doors and get started. Or you might have to torture a teenager that needs sleep. Depending on the shift.

The customers have to tell you their order 3 times, which many of them hate. They have to tell you their order at the beginning of the line, when you want to put their toppings on you have to ask them what they ordered (which they sometimes don't remember), and then at the register you have to ask them again what they had, including extras and other items (which they sometimes hide).

So reliant on checklists, they created a whole book for them. You are judged on completion.

I had four general managers for the slightly more than a year I worked at Potbelly, three were at the same store.

The store I worked in was poorly constructed and smelled disgusting because we had a chronic problem with our grease trap. I never knew why it couldn't be fixed.

I contacted upper management outside of my area for some help with an issue with management in our district and received no assistance.

At my store, associates routinely missed their breaks either until the end of their shifts or completely. Trying to ensure associates received more appropriate breaks earned me reproach.

Advice to Management

Allow your associates to have shift food, at least a free sandwich for a decent length shift. Or make sure they have access to their paid break.

Offer real advice on how to improve. Coach so I can know what I should be doing.

Be less reliant on checklists. They can be helpful, but a book of checklists you can no longer separate from one another (if you need to use more than one at a time) is really frustrating.

Redesign your layout! The customers don't usually like it when we talk to them excessively and inquire about their order multiple times (not including mistakes and other normal food service complaints).

Don't use loopholes to keep non-traditional high schoolers later than the legal limit.

Don't use loopholes to delay paying your associates upon departure.

Don't thaw chicken in the oven.

Don't sign your paperwork saying it is complete when the page is going to be blank for another week.

7. "Great atmosphere"

Current Employee - Catering Coordinator
    Current Employee - Catering Coordinator

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time (More than a year)

Pros

coworkers are great, bosses are understanding, if you like customer service then this is a good position

Cons

understaffed frequently, hours get cut randomly, asked to come in early a lot

Advice to Management

Follow your motto of 110% staffing and send people home if it's slow, please stop telling managers to cut hours and then leaving us short handed on the days we need staff

8. "Fine"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Southfield, MI

Pros

Discount on food for workers
    Easy interview
    Just a normal minimum wage job
    Respects customers

Cons

Not much, just a normal minimum wage job

9. "Potbelly"

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time

Pros

Small group of people fun atmosphere

Cons

Small group of people working together

10. "as good as it gets"

Former Employee - Sales Associaate
    Former Employee - Sales Associaate

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time (More than a year)

Pros

fast pace environment, friendly co workers

Cons

washing dishes and everything else..its the food industry