Pottery Barn Reviews

Updated May 11, 2021

3.5
Pottery Barn President Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber
Pros
  • "Great discount, always very fair(in 109 reviews)

• "The employee discount was really good(in 73 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Too much pressure from upper management, makes management at the store level miserable - making the store miserable(in 48 reviews)

• "Low pay long hours thankless job that’ll leave you in therapy(in 40 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Pottery Barn and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great place to work

Oct 11, 2020 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really loved working here, great people and amazing discount

Cons

Pay was on the lower side but the great discount made up for it

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

All about the money....

Apr 30, 2021 - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Catered to my other schedules ( But that varies by manager). Pays competitively vs other retailers

Cons

All about their sales and slowly caring less and less about their employees. After the company creator Chuck Williams died, they started caring less and less.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 3.0

Part time job

May 11, 2021 - Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good team environment, work culture , and vibe

Cons

Low pay, no commission- even though you have to sell a min amount

4. 5.0

Great!

Apr 28, 2021 - Associate Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and products at this company

Cons

Customers are rude and entitled yet you are still encouraged to meet their needs.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

That discount is everything

Mar 30, 2021 - Stock Associate/Visual Associate in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Definitely the cross channel discount, ample opportunity to learn, consistent pace, always work to be done

Cons

Absolute breakdown in communication everywhere. Zero training , oftentimes stock team training new sales people, preferential treatment amongst management to an uncomfortable degree, disrespect and disregard to stock team, stock rooms.

6. 2.0

Just a job

May 9, 2021 - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice environment to work in

Cons

Low pay and hard work

7. 5.0

Great!

Apr 22, 2021 - Manager in Asheville, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Family Owned Business that cares about people

Cons

Covid has them understaffed, as many businesses are

8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

ALMOST CRIMAL TREATMENT AND WAGES

Dec 8, 2020 - Interior Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun Product and wonderful women to work with

Cons

I have worked for this company for a year and I cannot tell you how disappointed I am and how they treat their employees. It is abusive. First, I was hired at a starting wage and was told that I would have quarterly reviews to determine pay increases. After one year, I have doubled every goal I was given. I have never had a review and was told there will be no reviews for the foreseeable future due to covid. I find this interesting considering the companies numbers are through the roof. This is a company that has it's employees working very very hard, getting yelled at all day because they can't seem to deliver a piece of furniture on time or that isn't damaged. The working conditions are unsafe. We are required to clean the store ourselves, even the bathrooms, even in the pandemic and no-one ever does it because we don't have time. My store is dirty and unsafe. Last weekend I counted over 100 people in the store and the max capacity is 20. My wages are 110% of the poverty level for the area that I live in and I am working in unsafe, inhumane conditions. When their employees are working this hard and producing great results they should be rewarded financially and they should be kept safe. Now I don't care about selling a thing for this company. I make no more money for doing a basic job. Therefore, I just do as little as possible until the pandemic is over and I can find new employment. ALL of my coworkers feel the same. Sad, they lost talented hard working person!

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0

Look Elsewhere

Mar 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Store management and coworkers have been amazing people to work with and for during my time here.

Cons

Owned by Williams Sonoma who, despite a very successful business year, decided to lay off a lot of their retail employees. It went from being a place that seemed to really care about their employees to showing they really didn't care about them at all. They let go of some really talented people, many of them having been with the company for many years. They were apparently a waste of money in the eyes of an outside company that was hired to tell WS where to cut costs. It had absolutely nothing to do with job performance. It was truly disgusting and as a result (and despite having not been let go myself) I could never recommend working for this company. If you have strong morals, you might not be able to stomach working for the WS brands.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good place to work for a college student

Mar 31, 2021 - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Reasonable flexibility for a retail position. Great employee discount.

Cons

I left as I unable to keep a reliable number of hours. This wasn't a huge issue while I was in college but was ultimately why I left.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 954 Reviews