Pottery Barn Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Pottery Barn President Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible hours, family oriented, great discount (in 81 reviews)

• Employee discount was great across all Williams-Sonoma brands (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • I feel bad for them because their work life balance is very bad (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management keeps changing the discount, especially on sale items, so much so that keeping up is difficult (in 39 reviews)

1. "Even if you're desperate for a job don't do it"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Pottery Barn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, I can't think of anything other than meeting some great people at store level. They all have left the company based on poor experiences and are excelling at different companies now.

Cons

Senior leaders are completely disconnected and live in a fairy tale world. They love to visit the stores and want to see reality but their 'version' of reality is out of touch. Once you have a 'bad' visit it is known that no matter what you do you can never recover. The quality of the merchandise is poor and the corporate customer service teams are for the most part not equipped to handle all the customer issues and it comes back to the store to deal with. The company says people first but that's not reality...as a previous customer I loved shopping at PB and Williams Sonoma but now as a previous employee I know what a terrible place it is and it has ruined my go to shopping venues. I now choose to spend my money elsewhere as I do not want to give a dime back to WS. Disappointing experience.

Advice to Management

Senior leaders - Take action on the comments given in these reviews. Stop pretending to be 'cheerleaders' when you're in reality you are terrible leaders who are completely uninspiring.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Kid's stores are appealing and have fun visual displays.

Cons

The Kid's division is an absolute mess. I read some bad reviews before going in and thought for once I'll give it my best shot with a positive outlook. I should have listened to the reviews. They are really trying to squeeze every penny and it makes for a tense workplace, unrealistic/unattainable sales goals, and makes for a mix of pushy and miserable attitudes in the workplace. Also, a large amount of disrespect toward employees and power trip character from management.

Advice to Management

Be a team player. Respect your employees. Help your team instead of trying to deliberately discourage well-intended efforts. Being able to develop your employees and integrating them as functioning parts of a team is important. Leadership is not defined by scheduling yourself 8-5 monday through friday because you like to pretend you are really important and work at a corporate office. This is not a corporate office...this is a retail store. You are not important...taking care of your team is important. Because your team's performance is a reflection of your leadership skills. Also, the high school click thing? Just because you were never cool in high school or college doesn't mean it's time to play mean kid as a an adult. It's not cute. You should realize that at this age your pettiness is embarrassing.

"Do not work at the chicago Pb location!"

Pros

I made some amazing friends working here! I loved the job under the right managers. The working environment was amazing again under the right managers. Definitely not the current management staff.

Cons

The people first philosophy has gone RIGHT out of the window!! My GM took bribes of alcohol when other visual managers were under performing in the Chicago location! She was so verbally abusive to the staff you could hear her yelling from the stock room to the sales floor. She made lists of associates that she wanted gone and did any thing and everything to get ride of tenured talent just because they did not kiss her but! She takes her favorites out to lunch or coffee while degrading and making fun of other staff members that again don't kiss her butt.

Advice to Management

Anyone in corporate who reads these reviews needs to check in on stores and talk to associates in private because there are some really scary interactions going on in the stores. And you wonder why sales are suffering so much....

4. "20 Hours only"

Current Employee - Stocker in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Stocker in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Pottery Barn part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you're a manager you get 40 hours.

Cons

If you're not a manager you get 20 hours per week.

Advice to Management

I think you need to be professional and stop being incompetent.

5. "Design specialist"

I have been working at Pottery Barn (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoy helping customers decorate their home and create design spaces to satisfy the clients needs. Enjoy working with the people.

Cons

Outdated pos system , management not on floor always on phone with calls from upper management discussing metrics. Everyone can sell furniture without proper training causing lots of ordering problems. Not a real design company. More concern about sales than the customer satisfaction!

Advice to Management

Train your people let designers be the ones with the expertise not a part time retail employee or visual person. Managers need to Spend more time on floor coverage . Pay more money with better bonus incentives.

"District Manager"

Former Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pottery Barn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sadly not much that I can think of, other than meeting some great people that I continue to stay in touch with and consider my friends

Cons

I gave 1000% to support the business and top executives and CEO but no support was given to me in return.

Advice to Management

People are not as disposable as you think. The high turnover is a reflection of the poor leadership team and their lack of strategy vs. the talent of the individual employees. What a bad experience it was working there

"Just... Don't."

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Hmmm.... Hard to say. There USED to be a 40% discount on reg price items and also sale, but they got rid of it and now it's only 20% on sale. They go back and forth with the discount a lot. Sign of company instability.

- Older workforce, so tends to be a little less drama at work. But it's still 90% women, so yeah... There will still be cattiness and the like.

- Stuff is really nice, but overpriced. If only you could afford it on the minimum wage they pay you. Even with 40% off, it's hard to do without a sale, a coupon, and then even using credit to pay off.

Cons

- Products are overpriced, so only rich people can afford to shop here. Business is swiftly becoming about HomeGoods, Hobby Lobby and the like. They need to appeal to a more thrifty consumer, or they are gonna lose out.

- Favoritism and shadiness abound. Most people are really nice to your face, though.

- No career opportunities. Company is downsizing.

- No good bonuses, or sales incentives. They hold their sales and in-home associates to certain sales numbers, but they get literally NO commission or anything for meeting or exceeding those sales. What's the point?...

Advice to Management

Read cons.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Pottery Barn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team, tenured staff, really care about our customers. Staff continues because of devotion to brand. Just looking to corporate for better I T and more payroll to support the needs of our customers

Cons

Company went from people first to buy more save more... discount, discount... hard to comp when we keep discounting. Quality went from poor to very poor. With no support from corporate. PB had a very good reputation until promotions took over. No one at the corporate level would listen to the field.

Advice to Management

Get a clue, you are loosing the core of your company. The ones that got you your big fat bonus.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic product and love how service focused we are! Our customers are fun! We have an amazing team!

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, please narrow the focus and let us be empowered to run our stores. We are extremely reactionary and need to slow down. Please stop talking about payroll everyday and let us be empowered to run the business.

Advice to Management

Please listen to the field. Please be inclusive...way too much favoritism. Value diversity of thoughts and ideas even if it is not aligned with your thoughts. Please stop the music and loud noise on Vicki and Kelly conference calls; we are all business people and no need for all of the loud celebrations.

"Unprofessional company with extremly low pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pottery Barn full-time

Pros

If you are full time you get 40 percent off non sale merchandise but with the salary they are paying good luck affording anything.

Cons

- low pay
    - unprofessional HR
    - unprofessional upper Management
    - nobody smiles

Advice to Management

Step up and start acting like a decent company if you are interested in bringing great talent.