Pottery Barn Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Pottery Barn President Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The Great discount is a nice bonus (in 91 reviews)

• Employee discount was great across all Williams-Sonoma brands (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • I feel bad for them because their work life balance is very bad (in 20 reviews)

• Upper management keeps changing the discount, especially on sale items, so much so that keeping up is difficult (in 40 reviews)

1. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Pottery Barn part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management, family oriented, flexibility.

Cons

Low pay, not much room for advancement, no commission.

2. "Great!!"

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, great work environment, very nice managers and team, I really dont care about this review

Cons

hey i dont care about this review so just know pottery barn was a cool place to work but this is crazy

Advice to Management

hey youre doing fine honey youre doing perfect keep up the good work youre out there killing the game deadass

"Loved working here!"

Former Employee - Design Team in Victor, NY
    Former Employee - Design Team in Victor, NY

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fun working with customers on projects
    - Great products
    - Beautiful environment
    - Employee recognition, excellent on-going training
    - Our particular store was great with cooperation, willing to help outside of set duties, and held outside employee events; also next to a PB Kids and Williams-Sonoma and had good working relationship with them.

Cons

- My only issue was our team worked really well to distribute duties per each employees strength and we all really enjoyed work, but then corporate started handing down new rules and regulations, along with increased visits from district managers (which took valuable time away from manager to get her job done). As example, while our manager was great in her position, scheduling was not her strong suit, so our assistant manager would do it. But then corporate made it so that the manager had to do it (along with added paperwork) and it became a nightmare. Not only stressed her out, but an example - I was PT and she'd add shifts mid-week when I wasn't in and not see the shift, but then get calls asking why I wasn't there. ("I wrote it on the board!" "Well, I haven't been in since you wrote it!") After I left, the manager eventually ended up leaving and the assistant took her place (and I'm sure did a great job). I'd like to see them have an app (like "When To Work") in place if it isn't set up now that employees can access as opposed to having to come into location to get schedule.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. Strive to get team to work as a team.

4. "Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun work environment
    Great employee discounts at ALL William-Sonoma brands (PB, PBK, West Elm, William-Sonoma, etc.)
    Great variety of assignments - working floor sets, inventory, design classes, etc.

Cons

I would have liked a little more regularity to the schedule, but it was easy to work with other associates to swap schedules as needed, so not a HUGE con.

Advice to Management

I worked at PB for many years. When I started, associates were required to wear a neutral palette -- black/grey/navy/brown/white/off-white (red and green were permitted during the Christmas season) and only subtle patterns. They changed that policy a few years back, and I don't think they should have. It made associates easier to identify and created a uniformity that didn't compete for attention with the home furnishings.

5. "Design studio specialist"

Pros

Great place to work! Low stress and fun! Quality product sells itself and the company stands behind it and does right by the customer.

Cons

The computer systems are very user unfriendly and outdated. Not as efficient as one would think for a company this size.

6. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time

Pros

- Flexible Hours
    - Friendly Staff
    - Great Management
    - Good Company Culture
    - Solid Training
    - Awesome Employee Discount

Cons

- Store can get very busy
    - Selling techniques can be a little too aggressive at times
    - Retail positions by their nature are better suited to extroverts, so it can be difficult and tiring on introverts constantly having to engage customers.

Advice to Management

I loved working at Pottery Barn. Management felt like family. I hated leaving and put it off as long as I could. My only real criticism or advice to management, is to please stop promoting surveys which ask for too much information from customers. I feel it put off more customers than helped the company, though this isn't the managers' fault.

7. "Associate Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Old Fort Tejon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Old Fort Tejon, CA

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management team, great communication, Consistent customer first message. Love the discount. Good schedule

Cons

Do not always get a quick response to questions

"Excellent company for talented people"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A company that recognizes high performers. Fun, valued, empowered. Those are the things that come to mind when I think about Pottery Barn. The only people that leave and find it not a fit are usually just looking for a job vs a career and family- because it's retail for the best talent in retail

Cons

Fiscal discipline is challenging in all retail environments right now but it's a fiscally responsible company and that makes you feel good about your job security.

Advice to Management

The CEO is one of the best CEO's in all of retail! Female powerhouse and very smart. EVP of stores is also the best out there. Thank you for your leadership. My only advise is to ensure you keep true to your current priorities. Great people and great internal and external service.

9. "Design Studio Specialist"

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time

Pros

Fun place to work. Employee discount was great across all Williams-Sonoma brands. Flexibility in scheduling and good leadership experience.

Cons

Low pay, no benefits for part-time employees. Retail hours so especially during holiday season you can expect to have hours that are all over the place. Advancement seems to happen very slowly.

10. "PB"

I have been working at Pottery Barn part-time

Pros

Wonderful place to work!

Cons

There are not enough hours for part-time workers.