Powell Tate Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 2, 2017

3.9
Pam Jenkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best Internship Experience--by far!"

Current Intern - Digital Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Digital Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Powell Tate as an intern

Pros

-amazing company culture
    -ability to work across multiple teams
    -always busy, always working directly on client work
    -the intern work is equivalent of an AAE or AE
    -if you have a specific interest, employees will work to ensure you get exposed to it (i.e. analytics)

Cons

-for those trying to get hired, you won't know until the very very end of your internship, which is quite stressful (however, they do emphasize that if they are hiring, they are going to choose someone they've invested more in the company than an outsider)

Advice to Management

-make sure the work interns are doing grows to maximize their invaluableness to the team

2. "Intern"

I worked at Powell Tate part-time

Pros

I loved working with my fellow interns and those that worked full-time . I also loved the intern project. I learned a lot about a campaign from start to finish.

Cons

Work flow was pretty up and down and work-life balance was hard -- even as an intern. My friends that work there now are also not compensated that well.

3. "SVP"

I worked at Powell Tate full-time

Pros

Great firm with lots of really smart people. Tremendous opportunities learn and grow cutting edge skills. The diversity of the work also allows you to try several different things.

Cons

Long term projects can make folks feel stuck

Advice to Management

Offer more opportunities for working across practice areas.

4. "A mixed bag, crap shoot, hot or miss experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Powell Tate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazingly talented and diversely qualified group of people, clients which include some of the most recognizable brands on earth, and a global network of resources and individuals that blow our competition out of the water.

Cons

Clients and teams are really a crap shoot. A good manager and some interesting accounts can really make a world of difference, but unfortunately senior management doesn't have time to make sure mid-level and junior staff is being trained or supported. As a result, many can expect long hours, low pay, and little recognition for the privilege of working for and among "the best."

Advice to Management

Junior staff deserves a voice. We are professional comms folks and we don't follow the advice we give our clients. Survey the staff, listen to what they have to say, and make them feel heard.

5. "Good opportunity"

Pros

Opportunity to work with multiple teams on multiple accounts.

The office's energy was positive and ideal for completing work.

Cons

There seemed to be a lack of direction at the Director level within the organization.

There also seemed to be tension in the office between different members.

6. "A great starting place for interns"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Powell Tate as an intern

Pros

A lot of opportunity to learn about different parts of the PR process, work with different clients, and it was paid! Also got the opportunity to visit Capitol Hill and a couple museums during work hours!

Cons

There wasn't as much to do during the summer months, as compared to other times of the year. Also, some of the work was basic, but that's part of the job of being an intern.

Advice to Management

Continue to get the interns involved as much as possible! Continue to expose interns to as much variety in work projects and client types as possible.

"Senior Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at Powell Tate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great place for creative people. Leadership there has actively created a positive work culture that I have not found in other offices in D.C. Hard work is rewarded.

Cons

It can be easy to become overwhelmed, especially if you're on too many accounts. Can be difficult to leave an account you don't like.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

8. "Vice President"

Pros

Good team, creative, values based. Has lots of good work, good accounts. Good leadership.

Cons

Lower end of PR agency pay scale,

9. "Summer Intern Program"

I worked at Powell Tate as an intern

Pros

Excellent group of highly motivated and talented professionals with a strong portfolio of clients. For an internship is was a tremendous experience.

Cons

Occasionally there would not be enough work for the interns. There was a hesitancy to give work early on. Summer time can be difficult for interns because people are frequently gone on vacation and client work can be slow.

"Great experience"

I worked at Powell Tate as an intern

Pros

The people are phenomenal and helpful, and there is a genuine dedication to the clients. Great office location as well, with an awesome building.

Cons

The pay, as is in the public relations industry, is simply not that great. While the work is meaningful and client facing does happen, some of the bottom level work is tedious. This is true anywhere, but nonetheless sometimes frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The office seems to be booming and people were always very happy-- there's no question you guys are the best in Washington at what you do.