Powertek Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2020

3.7
Powertek President and CEO Nancy E Scott
Nancy E Scott
Pros
  • "Powertek is run by great people who are well respected, fair, engaged, and creative leaders(in 6 reviews)

• "Powertek Corporation is a great employer with great benefits(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours during surge periods - normal for the industry though(in 3 reviews)

• "During surge, it is all hands on deck and until the work is done(in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A truly great company to work for"

4.0
    Current Employee - Partnerships

I have been working at Powertek part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, freedom, creative and good atmosphere

Cons

There isnt much wrong with the company

2. "Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Powertek full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, offer many good benefits and stellar training opportunities. They care about me personally and the culture encourages everyone to care!

Cons

Tight deadlines have to work long hours during proposals

Continue reading
  3. "Amateur Company Environment-toxic workplace"

1.0
    Former Employee - Analyst in Rockville, MD

I worked at Powertek full-time

Pros

The company caters food from time to time to employees.

Cons

You are not allowed to have an opinion. If you raise an issue or a concern, the executives will find you a threat, which gives them grounds to terminate you. You can survive there as long as you keep quiet and do exactly as you are told. The environment is pretty brutal. There is plenty of tension and hostility there. The top executive is paranoid about everything and puts people up against each other! This company is too amateur-there is a high turnover rate; every week someone is getting terminated. The executives are incompetent and don't respect anyone there. I sat in meetings cringing because of how the executives talk down to other PMs and directors. They are very degrading-I guess they think insulting others and intimidating employees would make up for their lack of experience.

Powertek Response

June 1, 2020

We understand that this is your opinion. The owners and Executives at Powertek strive each day to put our customers and employees first and we wish you the best.

4. COVID-19

"Easy Place to Work"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Powertek full-time for more than a year

Pros

- They offer a lot of flexibility when it is possible - They really try to help employees like during the government shutdown and increasing telework with COVID

Cons

- They could probably use videoconferencing more

5. "Great people, great perks, fun work environment, and job security"

Current Employee - Director in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Powertek full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Powertek is run by great people who are well respected, fair, engaged, and creative leaders. They provide a great work environment - a diverse culture, fun and meaningful work, and spirit of camaraderie within and across projects and organizations. Powertek leaders empower, trust, encourage, and reward their employees for going above and beyond. They promote from within and provide generous benefits and perks such as company-paid training, certifications, college degrees, and bonuses. They provide teleworking options and find creative ways for employees to balance their work and personal lives. Powertek provides space for employees to be creative and offer suggestions for continual improvement - leadership listens and walks the talk.

Cons

Sometimes the projects aren't aware of other company successes across the organization.

"Powertek"

2.0
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Powertek full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team to work with. Friendly US government user base we support. Low stress level

Cons

Below average pay Below average benefits No sick time allowed for. Earned PTO must be used if you are sick Very limited work shift flexibility Recruiters mislead you by exaggerating perks to get you in the door

Continue reading

"Great exposure to lots of interesting work, at the most toxic HQ office I've ever had the displeasure of working at"

2.0
    Former Employee - Analyst in Rockville, MD

I worked at Powertek full-time for less than a year

Pros

The headquarters office is physically a very nice place with comfortable amenities including a fully stocked kitchen and several lounge areas. The office is pretty small so it's easy to get in contact with the directors and executives when you need to. There are some genuinely kind and extremely intelligent folks at HQ as well, and it's a shame that I no longer get to interact with them on a daily basis. Depending on your position, there's rarely a shortage of work to be done, since you'll be in close contact with a lot of the project managers and directors who are closely engaged in the company's highest-value contracts. You'll be afforded great opportunities to really learn more about what the company does, where it does it, and how it gets done. Again, there are great people who supervise great work done on behalf of this company, and if you're at HQ it's inevitable that you'll get/have to pick their brains.

Cons

At the risk of sounding too negative or getting too personal I am going to try and keep this short (really a lot shorter than it could be). Without naming names, there are a few director-/executive-level folks at HQ that, on the basis of them working at HQ alone, I would recommend folks to look for opportunities elsewhere. By the end of my tenure at this company I would literally be shaking in fear coming in to this office every day. What's worse is there is absolutely NO leeway for teleworking even once a week (at least there wasn't for me, I tried negotiating after being there for a few months and was told it wasn't possible). It's hard to imagine that the things that were said to me, and the way those things were said to me, were done in the confines of an HQ of a seemingly respected and well-established company. I would describe the political and social environment of the Powertek HQ as nothing less than paranoia-inducing and off-putting at BEST, and downright and exceedingly hostile and fearful at worst. This is really the main reason I left (aside from the low pay and being told there would be no potential for raise or promotion even after more than a year passing). I would STRONGLY advise you to consider other opportunities if you are going to be working at the Powertek HQ. As mentioned in the Pros of this review, there are some genuinely nice and really quite brilliant people who show up to work every day and are a pleasure to work with. But the bad (read: ROTTEN) apples that work at HQ are reason enough for me to tell anyone considering working at the Powertek headquarters office to consider employment elsewhere in the Rockville, MD or DMV area.

"WORST COMPANY EVER"

1.0
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at Powertek full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Use to give star awards and occasional bonuses

Cons

The management team doesn't value employees. Employees are underpaid and benefits are average.

9. "Great place to work, supportive management team"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Fort Belvoir, VA

I have been working at Powertek full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked for Powertek as Project Manager on DoD contract and loved the culture of the company. The management team is outstanding/transparent and work-life balance second to none. Highly engaged and telneted people work at Powertek. I was working as PM on one of the most challenging/demanding DoD projects. However, because of the excellent management and driven team, we were able to exceed the customer's expectations by delivering DTIC's SDLC project on time, within budget with good quality.

Cons

Nothing, I was very happy there

Continue reading
  10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Powertek full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Employees are given opportunity and flexibility when the contracts allow for it - Management works to provide for employees even during situations like the government shutdown - They seem to be making updates to policies to make them more employee-friendly

Cons

- Government contracting is a unique space and some contracts are very restrictive regarding what employees can do while on those contracts (Telework, etc.)

Found 50 reviews