Powertek Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Nancy E Scott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I love their Fun Committee Program! it's pretty much doing whatever employees want at the company's expense!"

I have been working at Powertek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're looking to expand your career, you came to the right place! Powertek paid for my training and provided me with the opportunity to work with other depts on different projects. It's all about what you make of it.

Cons

Their benefit package is pretty good, but could be better

2. "Alright place to work"

I worked at Powertek full-time

Pros

No on call or weekend work. Interesting environment to be working in. Open work environment where managers and employees are available and reachable.

Cons

Overtime is expected. Management micromanages and doesn't communicate well. Lots of procedure and rules that get in the way of work. Passive-aggressive management and company culture.

Advice to Management

Allow desktop support to take tickets from a group queue instead of assigning tickets individually. Be more direct with communication and discuss issues with employees as soon as they arise.

"Powertek"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Powertek (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have access to some good contracts with government agencies.

Cons

More concerned with ticket turn-over than with quality of work, and more concerned about filling seats than with hiring/keeping quality people. Fires people who gain any seniority, or who have differing opinions than management.

"good benefits,not much option for growth."

Current Employee - Help Desk Support Services Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Help Desk Support Services Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Powertek (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits... the insurance is the best I have ever seen ANYWHERE. Dr $10.00 and Specialist is $10.00.

401k is matched after 30 days.

Co-workers are easy to work with. You dont get the cut-throat attitude that some places have.

There is a summer and winter get together. The company pays for the get together. The summer activity is usually family orientated. Winter activity is usually employee / significant other activity.

The company gives flex time. If you have to leave for a doctor appointment, but you don't want to use your PTO, ask for flex time. As long as you make the time during the week, you lose none of your PTO.

Cons

Moving up the ranks is nearly impossible. You are supposedly paid hourly, but really its salary. If you get stuck over, the next day they want you to leave early.

HR used to be beyond to contact, now its not. Several of the HR people left. After that, now to get HR to respond to your emails is nearly impossible.

They dont pay you what you are worth. If you have health issues, I guess that would make up the pay part being so low. If you have good health you.

Jun 14, 2016 – Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with HR communication. We want you to know that we are enhancing our employment... More

"Smaller consulting business with a lot of potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Powertek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Powertek has captured business with strategic agencies and departments, both civilian and military, providing meaningful opportunities, not pushing paper.

Cons

The company is working to transform itself, moving away from the "family business" approach of the past, to focus on lines of business that align with business development targets.

Advice to Management

Communicate more than you feel is necessary, delegate to trusted performers, and continue to focus on high-value opportunities that will provide the ROI to continue growth and evolution.

Jun 15, 2016 – Marketing

Thank you for your feedback. We agree that growth is crucial for our company’s success.

"Great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Powertek (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a small but growing company, management offers employees the ability to learn new things and contribute in a variety of ways. In fact they encourage it. Its a dynamic and fun environment, Hard work is rewarded with flexibility and a great work/life balance.

Cons

No real cons that I can think of.

Jun 15, 2016 – Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We completely understand the importance of good work/family life balance, which is why we try to provide flexible or alternate work environments... More

"Rewarding Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Powertek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Since working at Powertek, I have witnessed a strong focus on individuals and people, in which translates to knowing that they truly care about their employees. I started my career at Powertek as an Analyst and today, I am currently in a Director role. During that time, I was also able to complete my MBA. I was afforded the opportunity to move upward within the company, which was due to the available opportunities Powertek gave me (ie. providing training), my technical background, and hard work ethic. Fortunately, during my career at Powertek, I was able to witness my fellow colleagues given the opportunity to grow with the company as well. Simply put, putting in hard work and commitment is highly appreciated and translated into being awarded.

The support provided to me really shaped my work experience and environment. It was also attributed to the open communication, dialogue and freedom to provide and implement creative solutions. Additionally, I appreciated knowing that my contribution and self were both equally mattered and acknowledged. During my time, I reported directly to the EVP. She knew I thrived on challenge and was committed to providing me with those challenges. I appreciated her care, confidence and support, permitting me to grow personally and professionally.

Due to the company rapidly growing, I was given the opportunity to wear multiple hats until I found my niche. I still recall and appreciated the CEO working with me side-by-side and teaching me government contracting. When at a project site, you tend to be a bit removed from HQ activities. This one-on-one training provided a new perspective. Having this knowledge, allowed me to excel at implementing best practices at both HQ and the projects.

I also have to stress that although with all of the changes at Powertek leadership has always been engaged and committed to continually focusing on their employees and work place. I believe that the Leadership does a remarkable job engaging and providing resources in anticipation of a large effort or company growth. They have made significant investments in Leadership Coach, HR Specialists and even conducted Myers-Briggs tests to help individual key stakeholders under each other’s personalities and team dynamics.

Also, I appreciated the fact that Powertek offers excellent benefits, because it shows they truly care about their employees personal and professional lives. Their compensation plan (i.e. medical, retirement, tuition reimbursement) is one of the best I have had in my career. For example, the 401K match is highly competitive – who also doesn’t like free money, right?

Cons

I really do not have any cons. If you want to work at HQ and have a 9-5pm mentality – it won’t be a good fit. During surge, it is all hands on deck and until the work is done.

Advice to Management

Keep showing appreciation to your employees!

Jun 15, 2016 – Marketing

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you have had a rewarding experience with us.

"Excellent leaders, frustrating government environment"

Current Employee - Java Developer
    Current Employee - Java Developer

I have been working at Powertek full-time

Pros

Powertek's executives and those just below them (directors, PMs, etc.) are great people--they are highly competent in their jobs and genuinely care about their employees. One remarkable thing they did was donate their own PTO to employees who were in need due to the two-week government shutdown in 2013. Leaders encourage career development, and employees who express interest in this are supported well.

Cons

As a government contractor, of course most of Powertek's employees don't work at headquarters. They must conform to the environment of their assigned government contract site. Contractors here aren't treated great, but that's not really Powertek's fault per se. Still, contracts with government should be better negotiated for fairer contractor compensation and treatment.

Advice to Management

While executives care about their employees, they can sometimes be unaware of certain issues because of the great removal in distance from headquarters to contract sites. Executives should try to visit their sites in person more often to be more aware of these issues and just so employees know for whom they're working.

Jun 15, 2016 – Marketing

Thank you for your input and recommendation. We will take your advise and recommend to our executives to make more frequent visits to the projects.

"Manager"

Pros

I had a job until I could do better.

Cons

I was hired and promised all types of training and advancement opportunities but what actually happen was that I was hired onto a sinking ship.. The contract was pulled away only weeks after my start date. Some employee's where walked out of the agency like criminals all because this company had no processes or standards in place.

Advice to Management

One stop adding phony employee reviews to this site. If you ave changed your practices employees will know that truth after about 4 weeks of work. The cleared world in DC is very small we all need at sometime to take that job until what we really wants comes along. If you're really committed to change and caring for your employee's do more than reply nicely to this site. Own up to your mistakes, set policies and procedures and stop hiring bosses and start hiring leaders.

Jun 15, 2016 – Marketing

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience has not lived up to your expectations and wish you the best of luck on all your future endeavors.

"Growing and Rewarding"

I have been working at Powertek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really appreciate the amount of personal attention and direct engagement I have with management. I feel like they genuinely care about my career growth here and want to see me succeed. The perks are great; the two company events they host each year are really fun and have great prizes and the PMs and executives go out of their way to show appreciation for hard work.

Cons

There is always a risk when you are employed with a contractor whose revenue is dependent on the Federal Government. So if the Government is shut down, your company is not allowed to send you to your project. The one difference with Powertek is that we were able to borrow against a leave bank where other employees and managers donated their unused PTO hours for individuals who would have to take LWOP.

Advice to Management

Keep spreading the kudos and positive customer feedback around to everyone. We work really hard to keep our customers happy and it's nice to know when we've done a good job! Thanks so much :)