Powertek Reviews | Glassdoor

Nancy E Scott
  1. Great place to work, supportive management team

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Fort Belvoir, VA

I have been working at Powertek full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked for Powertek as Project Manager on DoD contract and loved the culture of the company. The management team is outstanding/transparent and work-life balance second to none. Highly engaged and telneted people work at Powertek. I was working as PM on one of the most challenging/demanding DoD projects. However, because of the excellent management and driven team, we were able to exceed the customer's expectations...

Cons

Nothing, I was very happy there

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Powertek full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Employees are given opportunity and flexibility when the contracts allow for it - Management works to provide for employees even during situations like the government shutdown - They seem to be making updates to policies to make them more employee-friendly

Cons

- Government contracting is a unique space and some contracts are very restrictive regarding what employees can do while on those contracts (Telework, etc.)

Poor communication, underbid contracts

Former Employee - Systems Administrator

I worked at Powertek full-time

Pros

Granted time off when requested.

Cons

Low average salary; company is constantly trying to cut corners on employee salaries to get as much money as they can from contracts; company pockets the first few hours of paid overtime; couldn't care less about employee retention rates; overall deceptive and non-transparent.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they deserve. Do more to hold on to valuable employees. If you obtain people from another company through change of contract, provide some bonuses and compensate the employees for the benefits they're losing (such as increased time off).

4. Desktop Support Technician

Former Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Powertek full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Flexible schedule when making up missed work hours. Company banquet. Company picnic.

Cons

Desktop Support (Maryland) Low salary. No room for growth Management not willing to fight for workers to receive appropriate raise. Management will ask you to work overtime on incidents and call the time 'learning experiences' and will not stay to assist or get you paid the overtime. Too much drama and politics

Advice to Management

Find better managers/supervisors. Pay team better salaries to keep quality workers.

Review

Former Employee - Management

I worked at Powertek for more than 2 years

Pros

salary and flexibility were the pros

Cons

Too much Drama and Politics

March 13, 2018Marketing

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your bad experience at Powertek. We are committed to creating a comfortable, transparent, and collaborative environment for all employees. We will continue to find ways to improve and best of luck in your future endeavors.

• I love their Fun Committee Program! it's pretty much doing whatever employees want at the company's expense!

I have been working at Powertek full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

If you're looking to expand your career, you came to the right place! Powertek paid for my training and provided me with the opportunity to work with other depts on different projects. It's all about what you make of it.

Cons

Their benefit package is pretty good, but could be better

Alright place to work

I worked at Powertek full-time

Pros

No on call or weekend work. Interesting environment to be working in. Open work environment where managers and employees are available and reachable.

Cons

Overtime is expected. Management micromanages and doesn't communicate well. Lots of procedure and rules that get in the way of work. Passive-aggressive management and company culture.

Advice to Management

Allow desktop support to take tickets from a group queue instead of assigning tickets individually. Be more direct with communication and discuss issues with employees as soon as they arise.

March 13, 2018Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We agree that employee-manager communication is very important and we are sorry that our efforts have not met your expectations. Powertek is continuously working on enhancing and implementing a strong communication program.

Powertek

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Powertek for more than 4 years

Pros

They have access to some good contracts with government agencies.

Cons

More concerned with ticket turn-over than with quality of work, and more concerned about filling seats than with hiring/keeping quality people. Fires people who gain any seniority, or who have differing opinions than management.

good benefits,not much option for growth.

Current Employee - Help Desk Support Services Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Powertek for more than 4 years

Pros

Excellent benefits... the insurance is the best I have ever seen ANYWHERE. Dr $10.00 and Specialist is $10.00. 401k is matched after 30 days. Co-workers are easy to work with. You dont get the cut-throat attitude that some places have. There is a summer and winter get together. The company pays for the get together. The summer activity is usually family orientated. Winter activity is usually employee / significant...

Cons

Moving up the ranks is nearly impossible. You are supposedly paid hourly, but really its salary. If you get stuck over, the next day they want you to leave early. HR used to be beyond to contact, now its not. Several of the HR people left. After that, now to get HR to respond to your emails is nearly impossible. They dont pay you what you are worth. If you have health issues, I guess that would make up the pay...

June 14, 2016Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with HR communication. We want you to know that we are enhancing our employment brand and are implementing a strong communication program.

Smaller consulting business with a lot of potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Powertek full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Powertek has captured business with strategic agencies and departments, both civilian and military, providing meaningful opportunities, not pushing paper.

Cons

The company is working to transform itself, moving away from the "family business" approach of the past, to focus on lines of business that align with business development targets.

Advice to Management

Communicate more than you feel is necessary, delegate to trusted performers, and continue to focus on high-value opportunities that will provide the ROI to continue growth and evolution.

June 15, 2016Marketing

Thank you for your feedback. We agree that growth is crucial for our company’s success.

Found 42 reviews