Practising Law Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 10, 2018

3.4
Anita Shapiro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Everyday is great. Everyone is nice from the technology side of the company. Work hard. Do what you do best. Teamwork."

Current Employee - Multimedia Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Multimedia Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Practising Law Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great. Pay is good.

Cons

None that come to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Oct 11, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

We are happy to hear that you enjoy working at PLI, thank you for this positive feedback!

2. "Still working on it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Practising Law Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a good work-life balance.

Cons

Some leaders don't know what the people under them do.

Sep 25, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

Thank you for recognizing the emphasis we put on work/life balance as an organization. We are glad that you enjoy this benefit. Leadership at PLI regularly encourages open communication between... More

3. "Great place to start"

Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Practising Law Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits (even for pets!), reasonable salary, generous vacation and sick time, summer fridays, very friendly coworkers

Cons

If you’re in your 20s, you’re probably one of the youngest people here and you probably work in customer service. The majority of people are in their 30s and 40s. Not a huge con, but don’t expect to go out for drinks with your coworkers if you’re under 30 AND you’re not a manager.

Advice to Management

Get opinions from people at lower pay grades. We have a lot of solutions to share and want to be heard. Also, recognize when an employee isn’t being challenged enough and do something about it.

Jun 15, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

PLI is very proud of the generous benefits that we offer and we are so glad to hear that you enjoy them! Thank you for your feedback about requesting opinions from our staff. We certainly do want to... More

"Exceptional Culture and Teamwork environment"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Practising Law Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have the opportunity to work for PLI, do it. Plain and simple. Their culture creates a collaborative work environment that is both hard working and enjoyable. In my tenure there (5+ years) leadership was always fair, motivating, and appreciative of the hard work every day.

They care about their employees, they want what's best for their employees, and they want their employees to succeed in their careers whether at PLI or not. It's tough to find that quality these days. So again, if you have the opportunity to work for PLI...don't hesitate...do it.

Cons

My time there was different than what I've heard recently, but continue to innovate!

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you're doing. You've created a unique product that no one can match and you've surrounded yourselves with great talent...That's a dangerous combination!

Jan 9, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

We are always happy to hear when a former employee had a good experience working at PLI! Thank you for sharing your experience. We certainly care about our employees and want to continue to motivate... More

"Worse Company To Work for"

I worked at Practising Law Institute full-time

Pros

Reasonable healthcare, the product itself has a good reputation

Cons

Cut throat environment, disrespectful and stressful. Favoritism, unprofessional management and misleading expectations. Stay away

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, develop leadership and help your employees to become successful

Dec 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

We are disappointed to read that you did not have a good experience while working at PLI. It is certainly one of our key goals to ensure that our employees feel respected and supported. To that end... More

"A Forward-Looking CEO & Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Practising Law Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The leadership of Anita Shapiro has really turned the organization from being one that just went with the flow, (when I first started when it was under different leadership), to one in which the is a focus on innovation and on responding to current events relevant to the legal community. For example, PLI responded to the travel ban by adding more programs for lawyers on habeas corpus and are doing the same with news of the DACA repeal. This active engagement with the legal community keeps PLI relevant and cutting edge as a legal education provider.

PLI's benefits are second to none and are the best benefits of any employer I have ever had. Not only do you get amazing health care coverage but also eye, dental and many other perks. The also have "Coffee Talks" for employees on subject like Elder Care and more. They are always looking for ways to give more value to their employees.

Cons

You will make a little less than at a private organization but the benefits more than cover any difference. There is a lot of change at the moment but this is due to moving forward.

Advice to Management

Continue to be forward looking and respond to events as well as embracing new technologies

Oct 23, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience throughout your tenure at PLI. It is especially rewarding to be recognized for PLI’s responsiveness... More

7. "Continuing Legal Education"

I worked at Practising Law Institute full-time

Pros

Seminars both in-person and online for attorneys on varied topics.

Cons

Attorneys must meet CLE credit requirements per their state bar.

"The Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde of Non-Profits"

Current Employee - Facilities
    Current Employee - Facilities

I have been working at Practising Law Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice, typically not a stressful environment

Cons

Management will not give you any constructive input. They will deceive you into feeling valued and act like they value your intelligence when in fact its all about bottom lines, not employee investment/development like they so claim.

Advice to Management

If you are interested in hard-working and intelligent people, demonstrate that. Dont deceive people into feeling like their ideas are valued only to ultimately maintain business as usual. I'm not alone in this sentiment. Real reviewers, air on the side of caution. It's not a bad place to work, but a company has HR respond to every negative review... use your head.

Aug 8, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

We agree there are many nice people to work with at PLI and invite readers to apply for open jobs which may lead to the occasion to meet some. In addition to organized training programs offered to... More

9. "Manager"

I have been working at Practising Law Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are interested in and believe in education and supporting pro bono representation for those who need legal assistance, this is the place for you. Top notch product with excellent brand recognition. While its a organization that's been around for over 80 years, there is nothing old about what is happening these days - new management team taking innovative approaches to product development, use of technology, and enterprise wide collaboration. Lots of transparency and communication from Management to staff. Feedback is welcomed and acted upon in many instances. Fun people to work with who have work/life balance.

Love the benefits, especially the organization's 10% contribution to the retirement plan. The early summer Fridays aren't too bad either :) among many other perks....

Cons

PLI is growing, so a little tight on physical employee office space, though organization is reviewing telecommuting policies where appropriate. I'd like an opportunity to get to know employees in other areas more and understand their projects and challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - while change is hard - it's very exciting to see the changes

Aug 8, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are happy to hear that you are in tune with the transparency of our management group. As you point out, we do our best to ensure that... More

10. "Company with Lots to Learn - evolving business steadfast in technology leverage"

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Marketing Technology in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Marketing Technology in New York, NY

I worked at Practising Law Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You can easily get to know everyone in the company, which means you can be exposed to many different aspects of the business -- from sales and marketing to publishing to event management to multimedia production to information technology to accounting to continuing education administration to HR.

PLI is perfect for learning how different units of a company work together to constantly reinvent itself and find ways to remain most relevant in the industry.

If you have an open mind to learn, and have the skills of a future leader, there are many ways to craft and mold your career at PLI. The management and HR were very supportive in helping me find a role that's best fit for me as I grew with the company.

Cons

If you don't make sure you truly understand the company's history, vision, and aspirations to be innovative, you may find yourself a little lost or stressed in the various projects and constant changes that are part of the business environment. Be patient, be introspective, be curious, and be learning to turn this "con" into a rewarding experience that prepares you to be a leader at or outside of PLI.

Advice to Management

Formalize a mentoring structure for managers to help them better understand the business nuances and strategies. Managers who are truly aligned with the business objectives will produce better results for executive management while creating more impactful and meaningful work for the people they manage in operations.

Jun 26, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

We appreciate receiving this feedback and hearing about this former employee’s experience in being encouraged to develop professionally. We strive to continually provide formal and informal learning... More