Practising Law Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Former Director"

Former Employee - Director Publishing Technology & Production in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director Publishing Technology & Production in New York, NY

I worked at Practising Law Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for with excellent benefits. Professional atmosphere, compliant with rules and regulations. All workers are treated with respect and given growth opportunities. Most of all you can enjoy working here.

Cons

Not really a con but you have to do an honest job, be a good team worker, and be professional if you want to succeed here.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek the best people and continue the spirit of caring for the employees.

Dec 17, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

It is wonderful to hear about your rewarding experience at PLI, and thank you for acknowledging the professional growth opportunities we try so hard to provide to staff.

2. "A Growing Organization"

I worked at Practising Law Institute full-time

Pros

A fast paced environment, eager to innovate to meet customer needs

Cons

Depending on the department, there may be limited room for advancement within

Advice to Management

None

Feb 5, 2019 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

Thank you for taking the time to write a review while highlighting that PLI’s culture is one of innovation and focus on the customer

While advancement within the organization can sometimes be... More

"Everyday is great. Everyone is nice from the technology side of the company. Work hard. Do what you do best. Teamwork."

Current Employee - Multimedia Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Multimedia Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Practising Law Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great. Pay is good.

Cons

None that come to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Oct 11, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

We are happy to hear that you enjoy working at PLI, thank you for this positive feedback!

4. "Still working on it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Practising Law Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a good work-life balance.

Cons

Some leaders don't know what the people under them do.

Sep 25, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

Thank you for recognizing the emphasis we put on work/life balance as an organization. We are glad that you enjoy this benefit. Leadership at PLI regularly encourages open communication between... More

5. "Great place to start"

Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Practising Law Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits (even for pets!), reasonable salary, generous vacation and sick time, summer fridays, very friendly coworkers

Cons

If you’re in your 20s, you’re probably one of the youngest people here and you probably work in customer service. The majority of people are in their 30s and 40s. Not a huge con, but don’t expect to go out for drinks with your coworkers if you’re under 30 AND you’re not a manager.

Advice to Management

Get opinions from people at lower pay grades. We have a lot of solutions to share and want to be heard. Also, recognize when an employee isn’t being challenged enough and do something about it.

Jun 15, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

PLI is very proud of the generous benefits that we offer and we are so glad to hear that you enjoy them! Thank you for your feedback about requesting opinions from our staff. We certainly do want to... More

"Exceptional Culture and Teamwork environment"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Practising Law Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have the opportunity to work for PLI, do it. Plain and simple. Their culture creates a collaborative work environment that is both hard working and enjoyable. In my tenure there (5+ years) leadership was always fair, motivating, and appreciative of the hard work every day.

They care about their employees, they want what's best for their employees, and they want their employees to succeed in their careers whether at PLI or not. It's tough to find that quality these days. So again, if you have the opportunity to work for PLI...don't hesitate...do it.

Cons

My time there was different than what I've heard recently, but continue to innovate!

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you're doing. You've created a unique product that no one can match and you've surrounded yourselves with great talent...That's a dangerous combination!

Jan 9, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

We are always happy to hear when a former employee had a good experience working at PLI! Thank you for sharing your experience. We certainly care about our employees and want to continue to motivate... More

"Worse Company To Work for"

I worked at Practising Law Institute full-time

Pros

Reasonable healthcare, the product itself has a good reputation

Cons

Cut throat environment, disrespectful and stressful. Favoritism, unprofessional management and misleading expectations. Stay away

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, develop leadership and help your employees to become successful

Dec 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

We are disappointed to read that you did not have a good experience while working at PLI. It is certainly one of our key goals to ensure that our employees feel respected and supported. To that end... More

"A Forward-Looking CEO & Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Practising Law Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The leadership of Anita Shapiro has really turned the organization from being one that just went with the flow, (when I first started when it was under different leadership), to one in which the is a focus on innovation and on responding to current events relevant to the legal community. For example, PLI responded to the travel ban by adding more programs for lawyers on habeas corpus and are doing the same with news of the DACA repeal. This active engagement with the legal community keeps PLI relevant and cutting edge as a legal education provider.

PLI's benefits are second to none and are the best benefits of any employer I have ever had. Not only do you get amazing health care coverage but also eye, dental and many other perks. The also have "Coffee Talks" for employees on subject like Elder Care and more. They are always looking for ways to give more value to their employees.

Cons

You will make a little less than at a private organization but the benefits more than cover any difference. There is a lot of change at the moment but this is due to moving forward.

Advice to Management

Continue to be forward looking and respond to events as well as embracing new technologies

Oct 23, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience throughout your tenure at PLI. It is especially rewarding to be recognized for PLI’s responsiveness... More

9. "Continuing Legal Education"

I worked at Practising Law Institute full-time

Pros

Seminars both in-person and online for attorneys on varied topics.

Cons

Attorneys must meet CLE credit requirements per their state bar.

"The Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde of Non-Profits"

Current Employee - Facilities
    Current Employee - Facilities

I have been working at Practising Law Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice, typically not a stressful environment

Cons

Management will not give you any constructive input. They will deceive you into feeling valued and act like they value your intelligence when in fact its all about bottom lines, not employee investment/development like they so claim.

Advice to Management

If you are interested in hard-working and intelligent people, demonstrate that. Dont deceive people into feeling like their ideas are valued only to ultimately maintain business as usual. I'm not alone in this sentiment. Real reviewers, air on the side of caution. It's not a bad place to work, but a company has HR respond to every negative review... use your head.

Aug 8, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquistion

We agree there are many nice people to work with at PLI and invite readers to apply for open jobs which may lead to the occasion to meet some. In addition to organized training programs offered to... More