Praetorian Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Praetorian Digital CEO Alex Ford
Alex Ford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Sr. Business Development Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Praetorian Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Plenty of opportunity to grow for hard workers who are not afraid of challenges.

Cons

No cons.You'll actually find yourself working for a company that constantly wants to improve and make things better for its employees.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and keep attracting the right talent as you've done throughout the years.
    Overall, great support from exec leadership.They welcome your feedback/input and will really make an effort to make changes to help you succeed.

2. "Sales - Grants Team"

Former Employee - Sales - Grants Team
    Former Employee - Sales - Grants Team

I worked at Praetorian Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place if you're looking for direction. Friendly employees. Travel.

Cons

Provide equal opportunity across the board to ALL offices. Lack of communication both within and outside divisions. A lot of deceitfulness and closed-door tactics.

Advice to Management

Review your managers and understand your entire team, not just core people. Be more honest with lower level employees and provide equal opportunity. Have direction.

"Job Satisfaction in a Respected and Family-Friendly Environment"

I have been working at Praetorian Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After having been in my previous role at another company for over a decade, an undesirable acquisition led me to look for a new path. I've been really satisfied with that decision overall. In addition to a new path, Praetorian has offered an extended family. The office environment is friendly and casual, and while the work is challenging and on some days can be overwhelming, I've found that the entire company buys into the concept of supporting one another to ensure the success of all. All companies like to say this, but at Praetorian, I've found that this belief is driven from the most senior leadership member down, which matters and ensures that it isn't an empty idea supported by no action. The leadership team is understanding of the importance of striking a family/work balance, another crucial element for me personally. The company is in an aggressive growth stage, and I have been impressed with the ability of the leadership team to recognize and adjust trajectory given the longevity of some legacy process and procedures that have to also evolve in order to achieve that growth. I am growing professionally as well, and I see an opportunity for all employees to do the same.

Cons

Many of the teams are distributed, so managing communication and knowledge-sharing among them can be challenging. But in today's business environment, this is a standard problem for many companies. Praetorian works hard to ensure tools and other things are available to help close this gap.

Advice to Management

Currently, the busiest time for the business seems to also align with the EOY holiday season, which is difficult on families. It would be worth considering adjustments to the business' calendar year for revenue recognition to help counter that issue. Continue to proactively listen to employee feedback and be open to adjustments (this is something that the company does well now, so please don't change that).

"A Company You're Proud to Work For"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Praetorian Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Praetorian Digital is a breath of fresh air. Firstly, the level of communication and feedback around my performance exceeded expectations. I believe communication is the number one reason employees stay motivated, myself included. Beyond communication directly to me, management here is also invested in ensuring that all employees are clear on the strategy to achieve the companies goals and objectives for the year. With regular positive reinforcement on your personal contributions, everyone at the organization is then committed to meeting and exceeding those targets and completing those projects. Regarding growth opportunities, if you're dedicated to your position and in helping to better yourself as well as the company, they are available. Coming from a large company where senior management was out of touch with the day to day operations of the business, it's thrilling to see that Praetorian's leadership provides just the right amount of oversight - trusting their mid-level managers to uphold the companies values otherwise. I'm proud to be a Praetorian.

Cons

Like any fast growing company, Praetorian can struggle with hiring the right talent at the right time. But, of any company, I think we do well here and use capital to invest in our best asset - our people - when needed.

Advice to Management

None.

"Lively, Customer Focused & Employee Driven"

I have been working at Praetorian Digital full-time

Pros

Praetorian Digital is an organically grown, purpose driven organization with a strong drive to serve those who serve our communities. Through many focused verticals ranging from digital media, grants services and online learning, Praetorian continues to seek and obtain new methods and technologies to better serve the public safety and local government market. Continuously focused on technology innovation to cater to an under-served market.

Business aside, Praetorian does an exceptional job recruiting raw talent and strong leaders to drive business, all while creating an exciting and lively culture internally. Praetorian rewards employees through quality recognition, competitive pay, an abundant time-off schedule, quality benefits packages, and much more.

The company culture is fun, innovative and thought driven, which in turn creates a culture that we enjoy going into every day. Hard work pays off in this company and loyalty is something that comes natural, not forced.

Cons

Coming into the Praetorian family through a strategic acquisition, I truly for the life of me cannot think of any con's. As with any business, we face many ongoing challenges with growth and scale, but the business as a whole continues to refine our approach and dedicates more resources when needed. Our voices are heard and our opinions are always carefully considered. Our leadership and upper-management team makes you feel valued, and that is something most small, mid-size or large organizations cannot say.

Advice to Management

Continue setting the standard for what is means to be a Praetorian. Leadership through example and leading from the front are two of the most effective approaches to growing our team and our business. Keep it up!

6. "GREAT Company Doing GREAT Things"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Praetorian Digital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Our CEO truly cares about the Public Safety audience & clients we serve. He also cares deeply about his employees. He is collaborative and encourages independence and idea sharing. He is definitely one of the smartest CEOs I've worked for.

Everyone is accessible at all levels from HR to Ops; from Editorial to Product Development. We all have a voice and contribute to our company!

Our entire team is brought together by a sense of passion to serve just as our audience is serving the public. There is very little drama and back stabbing. We all do our best to show up, get our work done and treat each other with respect.

The company (as a direct result of the CEO) believes in work-life balance and folks in all departments are given the flexibility to work from home. At the end of the day as long as you are getting your work done, there is little micro management.

Praetorian is quite generous when it comes to culture and events. We are often brought together for monthly events as well as entire company retreats. I think this goes a long way and contributes to our tight sense of community / family within the company.

Cons

I think we have too many reviews - 1x a year (or even every 2 years) seems sufficient for long term employees (and we have a lot of those) and maybe bi-annual for employees with tenure of 3 years and under.

Advice to Management

I think it's important to constantly challenge yourself and grow as a manager. Being a great leader is a rare talent and it's important to respect your employees and constantly solicit truthful and honest feedback.

Make sure you continue to monitor salary levels to make sure they up to par with industry standards for the size of our company.

7. "Opportunities are what you make of them"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Praetorian Digital full-time

Pros

I've worked at PD for over 2.5 years. Since my first day, I've been given the freedom to grow my business and make money. I would like to point out that this has not been a easy task, but success is not easy. I have noticed that in order to be successful at this company, you have to be willing to work hard and think ahead. That's right, this is a company that demands an employee to think. In all honesty, this is hard for some to accept and scary for most. Depending on your level of self discipline and personal goals, thinking, creating and being accountable for actions can also be viewed as a negative attribute.

When I have brought forth sound business ideas that has been well thought through (with numbers to support said idea), I've been given the green light to test and report back to my management team. I have worked at a number of companies in the past where you are not able to challenge the status quo. Yet, this is something that the CEO at Praetorian respects and is a normal business practice.

PD is not scared to test and retest good ideas. PD does not buy into the idea of, "this is how we have done things" mentality. PD management has been very supportive of challenging the status quo if you idea will improve the business and user experience. Because of this, I have found this environment to be one that has allowed me to thrive and grow as an individual.

Cons

This business requires self discipline and foresight. Due to the fact that PD operates with a start up mentality, we run lean and we are all accountable. There is not a ton of structure or preconceived notions of how to do things or defined career paths. Therefore, if you are one that runs with the herd most of the time, it is not the place for you. If you like process and the ability to check in when you enter the office and out when you leave the office, career advancement will be limited.

Advice to Management

Remind employees who they are serving. Remind employees that they are building a company that they have ownership in (stock options)

"Finding a home at work"

Current Employee - Editor At Large in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Editor At Large in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Praetorian Digital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Second only to loving, protecting, and caring for my family, the work I do at Praetorian Digital is the most important thing I've ever done. I am one degree of separation from keeping officers, citizens, and even offenders safe. On any given day, something I wrote could have a positive impact on someone. I help cops be successful in their work, which has a positive effect on our country and our communities. I'm afforded the opportunity to do what I love (write) for a group of people I love (police officers).

And I am surrounded by top-quality people who are of like mind. We have an incredible team of highly dedicated professionals, each contributing to our success with their unique talents and abilities. It's awesome to watch their success on a daily basis, and see how their efforts help us grow.

If you have an internal sense of duty, service, and mission, this is a fantastic place to work. If you know what the term "warrior spirit" truly means, you will do well at Praetorian. If you don't, you may not love it as much as I do. For me, this company is home.

Cons

Nothing is perfect, and Praetorian is no different. We've had folks work here who simply were not a fit with our values or our mission. The people who don't fit generally figure that out (or we do) pretty quickly, and a change is made. We've also had the growing pains associated with our incredible growth as a company. When I joined in mid-2008 we had something like 45 employees and two offices. Now we have more than 100 and four offices (plus multiple remote employees). If those are your two biggest problems, I will take those any day of the week.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to us, as you always have. Our company offisite in July was another example of how we as a company can continue to evolve with ideas put forth by people throughout the organization.

"Creative with Room to Grow"

I worked at Praetorian Digital full-time

Pros

Very professional and culture-oriented team working for a great cause. There's room to test out different programs and strategies and (some) managers are tuned into what your strengths are and where your opportunities for growth are.

Cons

The experience is entirely dependent on what department you're in. Some positions are 9-5 and others aren't; some department managers are less of a fit as leaders than others. Salary is competitive in the sense that you really need to demand the pay you're looking for, it's not forked over easily. Benefits outside of salary are great.

Advice to Management

Take an objective look at the few managers who are receiving the majority of the harsh reviews; don't be afraid to get to know your employees and what they do day to day well.

Praetorian Digital Response

Nov 13, 2016 – CEO

Thank you so much for you feedback. It’s great to see you enjoyed our culture and sense of mission - both of which are very important to me.

In regards to consistency across divisions, we’ve made... More

"Serve Empower Grow"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Praetorian Digital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've had the unique perspective to watch this company grow from a small 30 person company to a larger 100+ company. In the 10 years I have been at Praetorian we have grown every year, continuously met revenue targets and treat all of our staff very kindly and fair. I think the thing I enjoy about Praetorian the most is really the people - and just how we really care about what we do and create. We care deeply about the communities we serve by striving to put out a great set of digital media sites, learning content and grant services but also continuously just improving ourselves and our own skill sets.

Cons

You have to be entrepreneurial in spirit to succeed here. You also have to be ok with the evolution of roles and responsibilities. The good news is that if you want to try something out - test a new process or look at alternative products that might make your job better, more efficient, etc you are given the opportunity and frankly encouraged to do so.

Advice to Management

Talk more about employee ownership in the company and how everyone contributes to the overall success!