Praetorian Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Praetorian Digital CEO Alex Ford
Alex Ford

"A Company You're Proud to Work For"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Praetorian Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Praetorian Digital is a breath of fresh air. Firstly, the level of communication and feedback around my performance exceeded expectations. I believe communication is the number one reason employees stay motivated, myself included. Beyond communication directly to me, management here is also invested in ensuring that all employees are clear on the strategy to achieve the companies goals and objectives for the year. With regular positive reinforcement on your personal contributions, everyone at the organization is then committed to meeting and exceeding those targets and completing those projects. Regarding growth opportunities, if you're dedicated to your position and in helping to better yourself as well as the company, they are available. Coming from a large company where senior management was out of touch with the day to day operations of the business, it's thrilling to see that Praetorian's leadership provides just the right amount of oversight - trusting their mid-level managers to uphold the companies values otherwise. I'm proud to be a Praetorian.

Cons

Like any fast growing company, Praetorian can struggle with hiring the right talent at the right time. But, of any company, I think we do well here and use capital to invest in our best asset - our people - when needed.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "GREAT Company Doing GREAT Things"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Praetorian Digital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Our CEO truly cares about the Public Safety audience & clients we serve. He also cares deeply about his employees. He is collaborative and encourages independence and idea sharing. He is definitely one of the smartest CEOs I've worked for.

Everyone is accessible at all levels from HR to Ops; from Editorial to Product Development. We all have a voice and contribute to our company!

Our entire team is brought together by a sense of passion to serve just as our audience is serving the public. There is very little drama and back stabbing. We all do our best to show up, get our work done and treat each other with respect.

The company (as a direct result of the CEO) believes in work-life balance and folks in all departments are given the flexibility to work from home. At the end of the day as long as you are getting your work done, there is little micro management.

Praetorian is quite generous when it comes to culture and events. We are often brought together for monthly events as well as entire company retreats. I think this goes a long way and contributes to our tight sense of community / family within the company.

Cons

I think we have too many reviews - 1x a year (or even every 2 years) seems sufficient for long term employees (and we have a lot of those) and maybe bi-annual for employees with tenure of 3 years and under.

Advice to Management

I think it's important to constantly challenge yourself and grow as a manager. Being a great leader is a rare talent and it's important to respect your employees and constantly solicit truthful and honest feedback.

Make sure you continue to monitor salary levels to make sure they up to par with industry standards for the size of our company.

3. "Opportunities are what you make of them"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Praetorian Digital full-time

Pros

I've worked at PD for over 2.5 years. Since my first day, I've been given the freedom to grow my business and make money. I would like to point out that this has not been a easy task, but success is not easy. I have noticed that in order to be successful at this company, you have to be willing to work hard and think ahead. That's right, this is a company that demands an employee to think. In all honesty, this is hard for some to accept and scary for most. Depending on your level of self discipline and personal goals, thinking, creating and being accountable for actions can also be viewed as a negative attribute.

When I have brought forth sound business ideas that has been well thought through (with numbers to support said idea), I've been given the green light to test and report back to my management team. I have worked at a number of companies in the past where you are not able to challenge the status quo. Yet, this is something that the CEO at Praetorian respects and is a normal business practice.

PD is not scared to test and retest good ideas. PD does not buy into the idea of, "this is how we have done things" mentality. PD management has been very supportive of challenging the status quo if you idea will improve the business and user experience. Because of this, I have found this environment to be one that has allowed me to thrive and grow as an individual.

Cons

This business requires self discipline and foresight. Due to the fact that PD operates with a start up mentality, we run lean and we are all accountable. There is not a ton of structure or preconceived notions of how to do things or defined career paths. Therefore, if you are one that runs with the herd most of the time, it is not the place for you. If you like process and the ability to check in when you enter the office and out when you leave the office, career advancement will be limited.

Advice to Management

Remind employees who they are serving. Remind employees that they are building a company that they have ownership in (stock options)

"Finding a home at work"

Current Employee - Editor At Large in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Editor At Large in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Praetorian Digital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Second only to loving, protecting, and caring for my family, the work I do at Praetorian Digital is the most important thing I've ever done. I am one degree of separation from keeping officers, citizens, and even offenders safe. On any given day, something I wrote could have a positive impact on someone. I help cops be successful in their work, which has a positive effect on our country and our communities. I'm afforded the opportunity to do what I love (write) for a group of people I love (police officers).

And I am surrounded by top-quality people who are of like mind. We have an incredible team of highly dedicated professionals, each contributing to our success with their unique talents and abilities. It's awesome to watch their success on a daily basis, and see how their efforts help us grow.

If you have an internal sense of duty, service, and mission, this is a fantastic place to work. If you know what the term "warrior spirit" truly means, you will do well at Praetorian. If you don't, you may not love it as much as I do. For me, this company is home.

Cons

Nothing is perfect, and Praetorian is no different. We've had folks work here who simply were not a fit with our values or our mission. The people who don't fit generally figure that out (or we do) pretty quickly, and a change is made. We've also had the growing pains associated with our incredible growth as a company. When I joined in mid-2008 we had something like 45 employees and two offices. Now we have more than 100 and four offices (plus multiple remote employees). If those are your two biggest problems, I will take those any day of the week.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to us, as you always have. Our company offisite in July was another example of how we as a company can continue to evolve with ideas put forth by people throughout the organization.

"Serve Empower Grow"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Praetorian Digital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've had the unique perspective to watch this company grow from a small 30 person company to a larger 100+ company. In the 10 years I have been at Praetorian we have grown every year, continuously met revenue targets and treat all of our staff very kindly and fair. I think the thing I enjoy about Praetorian the most is really the people - and just how we really care about what we do and create. We care deeply about the communities we serve by striving to put out a great set of digital media sites, learning content and grant services but also continuously just improving ourselves and our own skill sets.

Cons

You have to be entrepreneurial in spirit to succeed here. You also have to be ok with the evolution of roles and responsibilities. The good news is that if you want to try something out - test a new process or look at alternative products that might make your job better, more efficient, etc you are given the opportunity and frankly encouraged to do so.

Advice to Management

Talk more about employee ownership in the company and how everyone contributes to the overall success!

7. "Great company culture - low pay"

Former Employee - UI Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - UI Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Praetorian Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was a lot to like at Praetorian. I liked the employees and company culture in general. Everyone was friendly and we had regular social events that everyone bonded over. It was generally very welcoming and I met a lot of cool people and made some really good friends. In addition, they don't require that you work a crazy number of hours, but if you want to put in more work to advance yourself, there are usually opportunities. Overall I enjoyed my time at Praetorian.

Cons

The salary was well below market rate, and the benefits were not great. I had to leave the company because the salary was simply not at the level that I could easily get anywhere else. There also wasn't a way for me to grow at the company due to the structure of my team, and my manager didn't really advocate for me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good social atmosphere, it actually makes a big difference. Overall I really liked working at Praetorian, but morale suffered with low pay. It seems the company can probably afford to pay a little more to retain quality people. Too many good people left due to just a small salary difference.

Praetorian Digital Response

Nov 3, 2016 – CEO

Thank you very much for the feedback. We take it seriously and use it to improve our company and culture. I’m glad to see that you appreciated the environment we’ve created and the culture we’ve ... More

"Overworked and Underappreciated"

Former Employee - Customer Success in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Praetorian Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many good people work here. Management hit or miss (mostly miss)

Cons

There is really no clear expectations for many roles within the company, and consequently the workload often becomes excessive and overlooked. Employees are given too many projects and tasks even after warning management of workload vs. quality concerns.

Some management are very indirect and passive aggressive and will punish those who take risks and speak out.

-Low salaries when compared to like businesses
    -Very little amenities and benefits

Advice to Management

Set clear expectations of what each position entails if you are going to hold people accountable for not fulfilling duties.

Praetorian Digital Response

Nov 15, 2016 – CEO

We pride ourselves on offering a very solid work-life balance – which has been the experience of most people at the company, cited in many of the reviews here. But we do need to balance that with ... More

"Great idea, Poor Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Praetorian Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The passion for the audience is there with the CEO. The co-workers I had were smart and passionate about what they did. Glad to have the work/life balance.

Cons

Management: It depends who your manager is. There are a couple of good ones, but with most managers at Praetorian, there is a serious lack of professionalism and respect for their subordinates. One in particular has an enormous ego, If you voice your opinion or deviate from the dictatorship, you may get a yelling. Not all employees are treated the same, as there is preferential treatment going on. Compensation: much lower than industry rate with very little career advancement.

Advice to Management

Focus on the user, be open to new ideas and work on communication between staff.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time spend with Praetorian Digital! Forward thinking, progressive and intuitive!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Frisco, TX

Pros

Experienced management that invest in their staff. Compensation is standard with a lot of potential for growth opportunity. The company shares a strong passion for team work and actually listens to their employees from the ground up. Strong work ethic is rewarded and the culture is lively and exciting

Cons

None that I have experienced yet

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! This company is on the fast track towards even greater success

"Excellent company"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Fun, forward thinking, innovative, family oriented

Cons

Benefits could be a little better and they are actually in the process of doing that