Pragmatic Works Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.5
Brian Knight

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"An Organization I'm Proud to Be Employed By"

Current Employee - Sales in Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Sales in Salem, NH

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pragmatic Works provides an environment where professional growth is encouraged and supported. I'm constantly impressed by the partners here at Pragmatic Works who ask for input and feedback and then actually listen to the experiences and ideas that I share. Like many of us, I've worked for other companies in the past and I've had plenty of days when working for those companies where I've not looked forward to going into the office in the morning (due to poor environment, miserable co-workers or just lack of enjoyment in daily duties) and I'm sincere when I say that in 5+ years with Pragmatic Works I've never once felt that way and on the contrary I'm eager to get to the positive and energetic environment of the office every morning. I enjoy being around everyone else in the office each day and that's a testament to the quality of people hired and leaderships commitment to developing a family that pushes one another to achieve their professional potential while also supporting their peers efforts.

Cons

Trying to come up with something because this section requires input but not fair to make up actual "Cons"

Advice to Management

Just keep on doing what you've been doing to foster an amazing culture and professional environment where folks like myself are excited be employed!

2. "Bring your entire life, not just your A game"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Pragmatic Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some excellent learning materials on site

Cons

Weird and or thug like management. They treat women as if they do not know what women are. No family life. Dog eat dog environment. Filthy mouthed management, and a very, very odd CEO, especially with women.

Advice to Management

Most of the behaviors seemed to be learned at an early age, cannot be undone with advice. Very odd hang ups also cannot be undone with advice. So, my advice is to potential job seekers. Simply stay away.

Mar 16, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your comment. We always appreciate insight into how to improve. I take these concerns very seriously – we are dedicated to creating and maintaining an inclusive culture and diverse... More

"Sketchy company - rewards employees for bogus reviews"

Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Consultant in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Consultant in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Pragmatic Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid on time, some good resources for Jr contractors through pre-recorded IT subjects, traveling could be a con for a single person willing to see places.

Cons

Owner and management is sexist and jokes about sex in mixed company
    Travel a lot
    Asked to fake it til you make it on new projects for Jr resources
    Makes employees sacrifice off hours pushing their name through marketing actions like blogging and presenting with
    No compensation for travel time as you are forced to travel on weekends

Jan 9, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for leaving a comment. I wish we could have chatted about this to get clarification because I don't really understand some of the points fully and it sounds like you didn't understand our... More

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior BI Data Architect in Middleburg, FL
    Former Employee - Senior BI Data Architect in Middleburg, FL

Pros

Encourages professional development
    Actively involved in the community
    HUGE stepping stone for your career
    Very honest, transparent, leadership

Cons

Rigorous work. Not for the feint of heart.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. It is working.

Jan 9, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for leaving your comments. You're right consulting is not for the feint of heart. It's not a 40 hour week and you have to especially work to achieve a proper work-life balance. I'm glad you... More

"Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, you work hard, but it is very rewarding.

Cons

Smaller company, benefits are getting better.

"Support Engineer"

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I come from a Mortgage Banking/Underwriting background. After having spent several years within that field I was left unchallenged and disappointed with the career path I was leading. After a nationwide layoff at the company I was previously with, I was approached by a good friend about an IT consulting company that was/is growing exponentially.
    At first, I was discouraged, because I didn't feel I had the knowledge base or the "gull" to jump into a completely different field than what I was accustomed to. But, in the words of Henry Ford, "If you continue to do what you have always, you will always get what you always got." It was time for me to make a change. IT is a strong thriving industry and I wanted to be a part of it, no matter how long it took to establish footing.
    After taking an online assessment, PragmaticWorks offered me a seat in a free SQL Server Foundation training class. In one week, I went from completely illiterate on the things DB related to making progress in my learning and understanding. Though I was by no means proficient, they saw the potential I had and invested in me. I was approached after the training class and offered an internship. Within one week, I was offered a position with this great company, PragmaticWorks.
    Since that day, my life and mindset has completely changed. I am challenged intellectually and am excited to be a part of this company. There is a clear plan to follow (at my own pace) to afford me the chance to move on to the next level within the company. PragmaticWorks rescued me from a life of job instability. I look forward to paying back to this company, threefold, what they have and continue to provide to me and my family.

Cons

To me, there really aren't any cons that exist. I have only been a part of this team for about 10 months now and probably haven't established enough of a solid footing that my opinion would hold much weight on a judgment call. I am just pleased to be working with the group of people I do in my day and to finally know where I am heading in my career.

"I'm sticking here until the day I retire ... I like it here that much!!!!!"

Current Employee - Named Account Manager in Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Named Account Manager in Salem, NH

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Work to Life Balance. * Telecommute whenever needed for whatever reason (weather, sick child, car broken, sick with a cold, etc.) * Get the latest technology from Microsoft. * Open Door Policy for Management * Plenty of Time Off & Vacation Time * Upward Mobility * Employee Owned * Fun, Smart and very approachable Owners * Culture & Mission is not just a 'thing', it's our mantra

Cons

* Benefits are good, though the cost for a family is a little high (understanding though because of the size of the company). * The only real pitfall would be onboard Training for new sales people. It was intensive, thorough and complete, but over time, it has waned. Having been here 4 1/2 years, I find I am providing the same information, the same tips & tricks to each new hire. * Communication is also something everyone struggles with. Many times, information is verbally provided to some people, but not to others. That VIP information is not then sent out via email, and is troubling when you do not have all the facts.

Advice to Management

Communication is King. Remember that 'Every Second Counts' and stop hiding behind emails when a call or a short team meeting would be more productive.

"Great Job, Great Opportunities, Great People"

Current Employee - Consultant in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time

Pros

Opportunity to learn new technologies, work across industries, good pay, employee-owned company, great people to work with, many experts in the field on our team, laid back atmosphere, great company culture. Working here at PW has rocketed my career. Opportunities to speak at community events like PASS Summit, SQL Saturday, SQL Rally, etc. Opportunities to work as an author on multiple books

Cons

sometimes travel can wear you down (consulting, duh) although management does work to keep this in check, expected to ramp up on new training materials very quickly sometimes, small company health benefits

Advice to Management

More opportunities for structured internal training as we offer additional services and products around big data, the cloud, power BI, etc.

"" Best Company I have ever worked for ""

Current Employee - Enterprise Territory Account Manager in Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Enterprise Territory Account Manager in Salem, NH

Pros

I have been employed here at PW on the Sales side for almost two years and with out a doubt believe this is the best company I have ever worked for. The company culture is excellent it's more of a family than an organization. Everyone's opinion is heard and valued and the management / upper management to CEO level all work very closely to create a fantastic work environment.

Cons

In the industry of bleeding edge technology organizations like PW need to stay above the cusp. My only con would be that processes change often and would like to see a new process tested in a smaller controlled environment before being introduced company wide. Other than that no complaints what so ever.

Advice to Management

Great job guys! Keep the good times rolling..

"Good Company. Good People."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleburg, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleburg, FL

I have been working at Pragmatic Works (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn and grow. Ability to work remote as needed is a plus. Great co-workers. A CEO who genuinely cares and takes time to walk around the office checking in. He never fails to ask how things are going, and sticks around to listen to the answer.

Cons

There is a lot to learn to ramp up and stay ahead, but that is the nature of the industry. Change is sometimes slow to happen with policy/procedures, but it is an improvement over rapid, policy change with no forethought as I have experienced with other employers.

Advice to Management

Keep talking to your employees. Keep that open-door policy open.