Pragmatics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Long V. Nguyen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It's a good company to work with depending on your supervisor" (in 5 reviews)

• "Good people, Good pay, overall not a bad place to work, if you can put up with the occasional operational problem" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "The good talented people are leaving and are being replaced with Indians that cannot speak good English" (in 2 reviews)

• "Poor morale, back stabbing, total lack of communication, poor leadership, growing company that is getting in it's own way by thinking small" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Professional Employer"

I have been working at Pragmatics full-time

Pros

Professional, Room for Advancement, Quality Leadership,

Cons

Corporate Structure is shifting a little.

Mar 13, 2018 – Director of HR

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are pleased that you feel that the company is professional and offers you room for advancement while providing you with quality leadership. While our... More

2. "Pragmatics"

I have been working at Pragmatics full-time

Pros

Nice people, good pay and standard benefits

Cons

Needs change in culture, Lack of career growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Invest on people and keep transparent communication about the future opportunities

3. "Manager"

Pros

Good company, great office location

Cons

Benefits could be better, more room for growth

Apr 10, 2018 – Director of HR

Thank you very much for providing positive feedback about Pragmatics. The leadership team is particularly pleased that you left Pragmatics feeling good about the company and the work... More

4. "Great company with the right immediate leadership"

I have been working at Pragmatics full-time

Pros

It's a good company to work with depending on your supervisor

Cons

Senior leadership needs to provide better opportunities for training and career advancement

Feb 13, 2018 – Director of HR

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding our company and the fact that we have many good first-line leaders who ensure that our company performs at its very best every day. While we have made... More

5. "BA"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Herndon, VA

I worked at Pragmatics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good place to work

Cons

I do not have anything to say

Feb 13, 2018 – Director of HR

The Pragmatics leadership team is glad to learn that you left our company with a very positive view of our culture and our work environment. We wish you well in your future endeavors.

6. "messy messy messy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Pragmatics full-time

Pros

some of the people on the ground-level are something else. they clearly deserve better.

Cons

pretty much everything that needs to be said has already been said in the other reviews. apparently something happened in the years before I came in; I can't really speak to that. all I can say is that the company was clearly in 'catch-up' mode. but sadly, too little, too late.

Advice to Management

definitely need better hiring practices moving forward. some people have no business being there, and they end up making things 100 times harder for the actual engineers.

the whole company, its atmosphere, and everything about it is so far behind the times, it's no wonder that it ended up in the state it's in.

all I really have to say..

Feb 13, 2018 – Director of HR

The Pragmatics leadership team is sorry to learn that you left Pragmatics with a negative view of the company. There is no doubt that from time to time projects run into difficulties. As a successful... More

"Stay Away...Stay FAR Away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Pragmatics full-time

Pros

There are some incredible persons at the worker level. Literally the only saving grace about that place.

Cons

Where to start...
    1. LEADERSHIP INCOMPETENCE
    I have never met such a band of merrymen who continue to play the harp while Rome is burning. All the warning signs are there. All the indicators are there. When the CEO was warned and briefed on the full extent of the problem, the briefer was fired. Shooting the messenger is the culture cultivated.

2. OSTRICH FOR LEADERSHIP
    They sit in their ivory towers pretending everything is okay and give occasional speeches in some half-hearted attempt at trying to motivate. It is always recognized for what it is. Because of this the chasm between executive leadership (I use that term loosely) and the workers is unbridgeable.

4. INVESTMENT IS NEARLY NON-EXISTENT (certainly not for a company of that size.
    This is a company who prides itself on being "cutting edge" and a "pioneer" and yet nearly all systems are end of life. They are hardly "cutting edge." For those of us on the inside, we used to laugh at hearing this as we put the proverbial tape on the system to get it going a bit longer. Investment in necessary equipment is done too late in an attempt to fix a problem rather than early so as to prevent problems.

5. CHEAP OWNERS
    I hated to believe this for the longest time but #4 is all due to the owners. They turn out half of the flourescent lights to save money. That is not a joke. This is a $100 million company but our owners still treat it like its in their garage. I'm all for frugality but it has translated to not investing as mentioned before. Hinders us from doing our jobs and the customers notice it for what it is.

6. CULTURE OF FEAR
    Yep, you read that correctly. Most of the VPs are actually really nice but not all. A culture of fear has been created and instead of fixing it, it is ignored and propagated. One in particular is terribly incompetent, totally controlling, and utterly rude and hostile. I wouldn't have believed the stories had I not experienced a taste of it myself.

I could go on but what is the point? I know the COO will respond to this with some silly notion of how none of this is true but I lived it. I saw it. I worked it. It was not compartmentalized. It is easy to believe it is a great company at first but the veneer wears off quickly. Anyone with a set of eyes to read and ears to hear will pick it up. There is a reason why there are so many job openings at Reston. One is they are only now hiring persons they should have hired years ago to get the job done. Also, people are leaving. Fed up. You have been warned.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people trying to tell you what the problems are but then again, you fire or ignore people who do as much. You are seeing the key personnel departing one after another. Just like dominoes. Maybe it is time to no kidding, roll up the sleeves and truly evaluate all of those things you have been told by those under you. Time to make some hard decisions. Be prepared to fire some people as in persons who created this problem, not persons who warn you of it. You know who. Maybe the "warners" were right after all. Just Maybe.

Oct 10, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

I am sorry that you did not have a positive experience at Pragmatics and have left with a negative view of the company. There is no doubt that from time to time projects run into difficulties. We... More

8. "Unix Systems Administrator"

Current Employee - Unix Systems Administrator in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Unix Systems Administrator in Reston, VA

I have been working at Pragmatics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work at. Great employee and management relationships. CEO very friendly

Cons

Nothing at this point

Sep 8, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you feel the company overall is a great place to work and supports you in your job. Its people like you that make Pragmatics a great!

9. "Task Lead/Database Administrator for Sensitive Activities"

Current Employee - Task Lead for the G6 SA in Fort Bragg, NC
    Current Employee - Task Lead for the G6 SA in Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at Pragmatics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Company with room for advancement

Cons

Benefits are pricey and limited providers

Sep 8, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your positive comments regarding career opportunities with our company. We definitely appreciate the great work our Ft. Bragg team does for our customers.
    Over the past few years... More

10. "CMMI Level 5 for a reason"

I worked at Pragmatics full-time

Pros

The are level 5 on CMMI with a lot of process knowledge.

Cons

On contract so could not give fair Con assessment of headquarters environment.

Sep 8, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your positive comments regarding Pragmatics and our CMMI level 5 certification for our agile development practices. We are very proud to have maintained this high level of maturity for... More