Pragmatics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Long V. Nguyen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Approachable Team leads - Great benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Exposed to a lot of new technologies (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management only focuses on short term profits not long term growth (in 3 reviews)

• Limited work at the time so there was no opportunity when contract ended (in 2 reviews)

1. "Unix Systems Administrator"

Current Employee - Unix Systems Administrator in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Unix Systems Administrator in Reston, VA

I have been working at Pragmatics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work at. Great employee and management relationships. CEO very friendly

Cons

Nothing at this point

Sep 8, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you feel the company overall is a great place to work and supports you in your job. Its people like you that make Pragmatics a great!

"Stay Away...Stay FAR Away!"

I worked at Pragmatics full-time

Pros

There are some incredible persons at the worker level. Literally the only saving grace about that place.

Cons

Where to start...
    1. LEADERSHIP INCOMPETENCE
    I have never met such a band of merrymen who continue to play the harp while Rome is burning. All the warning signs are there. All the indicators are there. When the CEO was warned and briefed on the full extent of the problem, the briefer was fired. Shooting the messenger is the culture cultivated.

2. OSTRICH FOR LEADERSHIP
    They sit in their ivory towers pretending everything is okay and give occasional speeches in some half-hearted attempt at trying to motivate. It is always recognized for what it is. Because of this the chasm between executive leadership (I use that term loosely) and the workers is unbridgeable.

4. INVESTMENT IS NEARLY NON-EXISTENT (certainly not for a company of that size.
    This is a company who prides itself on being "cutting edge" and a "pioneer" and yet nearly all systems are end of life. They are hardly "cutting edge." For those of us on the inside, we used to laugh at hearing this as we put the proverbial tape on the system to get it going a bit longer. Investment in necessary equipment is done too late in an attempt to fix a problem rather than early so as to prevent problems.

5. CHEAP OWNERS
    I hated to believe this for the longest time but #4 is all due to the owners. They turn out half of the flourescent lights to save money. That is not a joke. This is a $100 million company but our owners still treat it like its in their garage. I'm all for frugality but it has translated to not investing as mentioned before. Hinders us from doing our jobs and the customers notice it for what it is.

6. CULTURE OF FEAR
    Yep, you read that correctly. Most of the VPs are actually really nice but not all. A culture of fear has been created and instead of fixing it, it is ignored and propagated. One in particular is terribly incompetent, totally controlling, and utterly rude and hostile. I wouldn't have believed the stories had I not experienced a taste of it myself.

I could go on but what is the point? I know the COO will respond to this with some silly notion of how none of this is true but I lived it. I saw it. I worked it. It was not compartmentalized. It is easy to believe it is a great company at first but the veneer wears off quickly. Anyone with a set of eyes to read and ears to hear will pick it up. There is a reason why there are so many job openings at Reston. One is they are only now hiring persons they should have hired years ago to get the job done. Also, people are leaving. Fed up. You have been warned.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people trying to tell you what the problems are but then again, you fire or ignore people who do as much. You are seeing the key personnel departing one after another. Just like dominoes. Maybe it is time to no kidding, roll up the sleeves and truly evaluate all of those things you have been told by those under you. Time to make some hard decisions. Be prepared to fire some people as in persons who created this problem, not persons who warn you of it. You know who. Maybe the "warners" were right after all. Just Maybe.

Oct 10, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

I am sorry that you did not have a positive experience at Pragmatics and have left with a negative view of the company. There is no doubt that from time to time projects run into difficulties. We... More

3. "Task Lead/Database Administrator for Sensitive Activities"

Current Employee - Task Lead for the G6 SA in Fort Bragg, NC
    Current Employee - Task Lead for the G6 SA in Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at Pragmatics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Company with room for advancement

Cons

Benefits are pricey and limited providers

Sep 8, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your positive comments regarding career opportunities with our company. We definitely appreciate the great work our Ft. Bragg team does for our customers.
    Over the past few years... More

4. "CMMI Level 5 for a reason"

I worked at Pragmatics full-time

Pros

The are level 5 on CMMI with a lot of process knowledge.

Cons

On contract so could not give fair Con assessment of headquarters environment.

Sep 8, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your positive comments regarding Pragmatics and our CMMI level 5 certification for our agile development practices. We are very proud to have maintained this high level of maturity for... More

5. "A Growing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Pragmatics full-time

Pros

As a growing company, there is potential for advancement.

Cons

As a growing company, they are struggling to find a balance between acting like one of the big guys, and maintaining a family company feel and attitude.

Advice to Management

Need a higher level of trust toward employees. Locking everything down does not help maintain security and control, but using the tools you have already invested in to their fullest capabilities and as they were intended will increases productivity.

Sep 8, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you feel the company has kept that family vibe, is a good place to work, and supports you in your job. I appreciate your comments regarding utilizing... More

"rear view mirror"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Pragmatics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workers are good and decent people trying very hard to make things work without necessary support.

Cons

No opportunity for professional advancement or promotion without leaving the company. I left and improved my pay by more than 18K in less than 1 week.
    No respect for rank and file by GMs and VPs who keep the CEO in the dark. It is sad and I feel bad for him - he is a good man but doesn't get out and interact with his employees much.
    Failing major programs due to bad management and lack of resource support by GMs. We did not have QA/QC on programs and our deliverables were often late. We were ALWAYS playing catch up and begging for forgiveness from the customer.
    No respect for women by senior leaders (all male).
    Dishonest CBDO - driving the company into the ditch.
    Working here is like an abusive relationship - you need a job badly - so you will endure the beatings - when you try to leave they lure you back with the promise they will treat you right "this time" eventually your soul is crushed and you move on.

Advice to Management

To the CEO - Fire your senior management they have done you a grave disservice.

In the end, you message to the employees has been, "you are nothing except replaceable."

Sep 8, 2017 – Director of HR

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at Pragmatics. We strive to provide a positive work environment and we certainly do not condone abusive behavior. Our open door policy encourages... More

7. "Great Experience"

Pros

Exposed to a lot of new technologies

Cons

Work in a large lab alongside other programmers, can get a little noisy at times but great for cooperation.

Nov 8, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for the very positive comments. As you may be aware, we are expanding the our development teams and things have gotten crowed in our Reston agile lab. To address this we have begun the... More

8. "Very good place to work"

I have been working at Pragmatics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Finding the perfect job can be tough — it can often mean choosing between great benefits, a big paycheck, and doing something you're passionate about. But if you work at the right place, you don't have to choose. Pragmatics is that company

Cons

no cons at this time

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do

Oct 13, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your comments, I am happy to read that you enjoy working at Pragmatics. We try to hire employees who, like you, enjoy the work, have great attitudes, and are in it for the long haul.

9. "Pragmatics"

Current Employee - Senior Information Assurance Analyst in Martinez, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Information Assurance Analyst in Martinez, GA

I have been working at Pragmatics (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company feel with freedom to perform work at your own pace and be a self starter.

Cons

Current PTO policy needs to be taken into consideration.

Advice to Management

Revisit you PTO policy to come more in line with Medium sized companies that do government business.

Nov 8, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for the positive comments about our unique culture, that's certainly one of the reasons that I have stayed with Pragmatics over the past 15 years. As for the PTO policy, you should be... More

"Human Resources- Recruiting"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Reston, VA

I worked at Pragmatics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VP of HR is excellent- Michelle Geddes.

Cons

Not able to count employee referrals towards hiring quota- WHAT???? Makes no sense-
    too many status reports that are done individually & manually- should be using ATS to generate reports-
    No flexible work schedule. Need to leave desk for lunch. All hours must be worked in office at designated time. Micro managed.

Advice to Management

Use common sense. If you only have 10 funded openings, all 5 recruiters cannot have 5 hires in one month.

Oct 13, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you very much for feedback and positive comments about our VP of HR, Michelle Geddes. We seek to hire the best and brightest into Pragmatics. In order to do that, we have assembled a... More