Pragmatics Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Washington, DC

3.5
Long V. Nguyen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Approachable Team leads - Great benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Exposed to a lot of new technologies (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management only focuses on short term profits not long term growth (in 3 reviews)

• Limited work at the time so there was no opportunity when contract ended (in 2 reviews)

"Business Systems Analyst, Princicpal"

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pragmatics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offers good salaries and have extremely mature Agile Development Strategies.

Cons

Because they are a smaller company they frequently have to let talented employees go.

Apr 21, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your contributions to Pragmatics and recognition of our mature Agile practices. We all have worked hard to deliver world class software development.
    For the most part, we are... More

"Rather Disengaged From Field Employees"

Former Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Pragmatics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

(1) If you're in the field, corporate leaves you alone. (2) If you query senior corp management, they are likely to answer in a respectful and thoughtful manner.

Cons

The flip side of being left to do your work in the field, is that - ironically - corporate seems completely disengaged from employees who execute corporate contracts in the field. It seems not to matter one scintilla whether you bust your butt or not, the message is "you are filling your seat, and we get a cut." It's a pretty negligent posture. In addition, the company does not seem entirely interested in expanding from its traditional roots of software development. So if you are on a contract that isn't part of that tradition, your time there is limited. Finally, there is zero opportunity for advancement or any kind of recognition whatsoever for field employees. In fact, the company seems to have no idea what you do, or that you even exist.

Advice to Management

Your people in the field execute your contracts. You should connect with them from time to time, if not continuously.

Mar 1, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

I think your advice is absolutely spot on. As management, we should be engaged with our staff regardless of location. You are essential to our clients’ success, and we should ensure you have the... More

"Lost Secret Clearance due to Pragmatics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Good contracts, good pay and locations.

Cons

Communication is a big issue here. I held a secret DoD clearance for 10 years prior to joining Pragmatics and when hired I was placed into a Top Secret investigation. Two years later I no longer work for them and find out while I was waiting for my Top Secret my Secret was "Not in use" for the entire duration of my employment due to the on going TS investigation. I find out while job searching my Secret has gone into "Loss of Jurisdiction" because it was not in use while I worked for Pragmatics and I basically lost the clearance I EARNED while in the military. I am livid at the lack of communication with the folks who handle the clearances and could not get any answers to my questions.

Jul 16, 2015 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your honest feedback and positive comments on Pragmatics’ salary, contracts, and locations.

I would like to respond to your comment regarding the government clearance process... More

4. "Pragmatics, Inc"

Former Employee - Systems Administrative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Administrative in Washington, DC

I worked at Pragmatics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful company – Well managed – Approachable Team leads - Great benefits – Participate in the Metro SmarTrip program -

Cons

Still growing/expanding - Smart Management - More promotion from within - Need more contracts

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you do so well.

Jan 21, 2015 – Chief Operating Officer

Many thanks for your positive comments. We strive to do our best.

"Top Notch experience"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Pragmatics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee benefits are superb with bonuses and 401-K contributions. Vested immediately

Cons

Minimal communications of company business initiatives with employees at dispersed work sites; no effort to redefine job after gov't contract ended.

Advice to Management

Conduct a talent search within Pragmatics for competes on new contracts. Loads of talent in various subsidiaries, i.e. ISI that is unknown to management.

Jan 21, 2015 – Vice President, Human Resources

Very much appreciate your positive comments. Thank you for your feedback especially on the positive changes we made to 401-K and bonus plans. We can always improve our transition on contracts and... More

"The Best of Government Contractors"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Pragmatics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Strong internal processes. It's hard for managers who may not want you to shine too much to keep you down.
    * Excellent Pay. They offer good money from the start for what you can do for them and pay via performance and offer multiple opportunities per year to get a raise. No frat club snobbery here, you're judged by what you bring to the table and they LIKE intellectuals and serious techies
    *Good Benefits. Education/ Skillport/ College Support, good vacation and other "standard" benes people tend to skip on these days, annual party, happy hours, occasional lunch covered
    *For all the things I say below, they are a steady company overall. If you can get on a strong contract, or multiple contracts, you're golden
    *Very little nonsense, and there's much to be said for it

Cons

*Overtime pay doesn't happen often. You'd have to pass 96 hours in a period to get anything extra.
    *Strange Mom and Pop dynamics in upper management. Sometimes your phone gets collected or some other dumb thing happens because someone close to the big cheese gets involved and what they say goes. It's weird little stuff though and nothing that couldn't be dealt with.
    *The government isn't as strong as it was for a steady gig. I loved the place but they didn't keep the account. They're steady overall but if you lose your gig, there's some support but not a great chance you'll stay. I could have a taken a more fun gig, but I took this one because I thought it would be steady. No such luck.

Advice to Management

None really. Just keep doing your best. It looks like the younger guy in the upper echelon is smart and cool, and the big cheese is actually pretty cool too for the most part. General Manager was just moving into his space when I left, but he's the real deal. I'd love to see you guys sell to the private sector so there are more fun things to do.