Praxair Reviews | Glassdoor

Praxair President, and CEO Steve Angel
Steve Angel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Less manpower some time affects work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Micro Managed by upper management (in 17 reviews)

1. "The same ol same ol...."

Former Employee - Logistics Representative in Burr Ridge, IL
    Former Employee - Logistics Representative in Burr Ridge, IL

Pros

Location - Appx 30mins outside of Chicago

Cons

Extreme favortism is a fact of life

Advice to Management

HR should committ to active listening.....so many expressed the feeling that their words fell on deaf ears

"Praxair is the worst place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danbury, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danbury, CT

Pros

nice co-workers; easy work; can not think of any other reason why anyone should work there; close to home; that's about it

Cons

management is horrible; benefits are mediocre; the company as a whole needs to catch up to the twentieth century, forget about the twenty-first century.

Advice to Management

motivate your employees; expand your benefits to balance work/home; organize your staff to work more efficiently; appreciate your employees; a happy place is a more productive place

"Questionable Billing Practices"

Former Employee - Reimbursement Specialist in Cuyahoga Falls, OH
    Former Employee - Reimbursement Specialist in Cuyahoga Falls, OH

Pros

Benefits were great...they even have legal services paid pretax. Other than that, not worth the stress and effort to keep this job.

Cons

Where do I start. This office is prejudice. Management showed favoritism. The billing was awful and everything fell into our hands to fix it. Angry patients and an overall stressful work environment. Training was basically non-existent. No chance for advancement. There was always some sort of drama in the office and everyone was always worried about what the next person was doing.

Advice to Management

They should fire all management and start over, because the management had no clue how to talk to people. He talked to us like we were kindergartners.

"It could be better"

Pros

Benefits were good until last year but it is still better then some other companies.

Cons

Favoritism,lies and deception are the way of business at Praxair.

Advice to Management

Take action before this company becomes Enron.

"Dysfunctional Workplace"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

Pros

The pay is okay for those that have something to bring to the table. It has to be the ability to bring customers i.e., revenue to the party, or some specialized skill and have the negotiating skills necessary to make a good case for yourself. Very much like your teen days when having to plead your case to mom and dad, but that's true in most organizations. For me, the pay and benefits were good and I learned a lot, but after my third year there it was really a case of (extremely) diminishing returns.

Cons

All good intentions will never go unpunished at Praxair. The weasels that abound within this organization are legion. Every decent person I met while working there was unceremoniously fired. And for no reason, other than someone was having a bad day and had the power to so, and without exception, were always totally full of themselves. I saw good people with 30+ years of loyal service get axed just because there was a little riff going on in some office somewhere, and whatever location won that month's power struggle was going to retaliate against the other group and get everyone they could fired. Usually squabbles originating from the Canadians who seemed to have real, deep seeded prejudices against Americans. No offense to our neighbors to the north, but I saw it happen too many times to consider it coincidence. I saw good people fall apart after being fired because of the shame and humiliating wake Praxair left behind for them. Never saw them treat those people with much respect, and for that matter--mercy. This kind of cut-throat behavior is good sport at Praxair. If the idea of building a career on a pile of sand sounds good to you then this is your company; otherwise, move on. Anyplace will be better for you in the long-term. These people are clowns.

Advice to Management

Join the circus.

"Leave you to believe in things that never will truly happen."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Experience on a resume.
    The longer you keep believing the fluff they feed you the longer you will stay.

Cons

Well underpaid.
    Nepotism & politics.
    Poor management.
    Greedy.
    Uncaring for their employees.
    If you feed in to the fluff this company tells you it will ruin your life in the long run & if u have a family theirs too. If you are the type of person that does not expect much then this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Be honest & follow through with promises. Take better care of your employees & give them a REAL paycheck.

"Stressful, overworked, and under paid and under appreciated."

Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX

Pros

Close to home. Decent benefits. Knowledgable staff. Strong commitment to safety.

Cons

Low morale due to poor management and communications. Tons of travel. Low pay accompanied with 16 hour days and no recognition, only push for additional "commitment". Old, outdated systems like Lotus Notes for email. Too. Many engineers, have managed to over complicate the simplest tasks and processes. Poor office politics and BS bonus scheme.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your start up business segments.

8. "Horrible"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

Pros

Not many pros. Salary is reasonable and benefits are okay.

Cons

Not a good place to work. Managers are unprofessional. Coming into this job not what I expected. I would not recommend this for anyone. There is not really a sense of leadership. Need to hire better leaders and make sure things are running smoothly. Hire more people, too much work for the amount of people working.

Advice to Management

Listen to both sides of situations management and non management

"Waste of time"

Pros

Mediocre benefits package, vacation days are decent but even better if you're grandfathered in from a previous buyout. The only way one can see this company in a positive light is if you've started elsewhere and simply had no choice with a transfer.

Cons

Incompetence and politics clearly trump true work ethic and social responsibility within the workplace. Programs are in place promoting certain things, but it's merely a facade as it's hard to get excited about anything. This is corporate at its' worst, without regard for employees or the effect the company has on them.

Advice to Management

Where are the days when families still owned corporations? Are they really that far gone? Corporate means one thing these days, what the shareholder wants and expects and that is profit at any cost, regardless of the livelihoods at stake. Company officers work towards that goal alone, it's no lie.

"Some key sr leaders have major integrity issues; others fear retribution; CEO looks other way as long as profits come in"

Former Employee - General Management
    Former Employee - General Management

I worked at Praxair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

History shows strong financials but if you look deeper (which only can be obtained from being inside the company for a while) you see the cultural problems. But the real sad part is there are some really good sr leaderhship people but they (have been conditioned?) to have no #@%* to voice their true opinion on things which are very wrong internally. Business relies on long term contracts with guaranteed income. Industrial gases business has hard entry point which staves off new competition (at least in US). Safety wise they pay attention.

Cons

Short term thinking all the time, I mean all the time. No process efficiency; I was frustrated by the historic lack of technology infrastructure.

Biggest frustration is related to people: Brought in some really impressive people in my last year or so but I will bet they will leave before long they all do. Its a shame. Watching the sr leadership team cower when something very obviously wrong is going down. No one has the courage to step up and stop it. Fear of retribution perhaps? Lady in charge of HR for past decade has bad internal reputation almost everywhere so you can't even go to HR to try and work out a solution. She's been in the company forever, mystery to everyone why they keep her. Then they wonder why its so hard to get people to join the company. Word gets around. New people are trying to make a difference but it is almost like some executives don't want to make the company better; why...someone can do it better than you maybe and that threatens your legacy?

You see the trends in these blogs...company is notorious for not being oriented to their people. The great ones leave quickly after finding this out. If you are female or diverse you have put a nail in your coffin. I would not want my kids to work here, especially my daughters, and that says alot.

I was here a pretty good long time and when personally I was able to leave, I did. I've never said anything negative about an employer I've had but had to speak up on this one. I suggest waiting till some key executives retire in upcoming years before I could recommend Praxair.

Advice to Management

Show the courage, retire your ineffective executives and bring in capable people who are actually trained in their expertise