Praxent Reviews

Updated Mar 11, 2021

4.6
Praxent CEO/Founder Tim Hamilton (no image)
Tim Hamilton
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Smart company that actually delivers

Mar 11, 2021 - Praxenter
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked for lots of companies before that over promise and under deliver whether it's for client or employees. Praxent doesn't do that, they are honest, have integrity and somehow have managed to activate their core values across the entire company in a way that ensures every employee actually lives up to them. Praxenters are extremely smart, thoughtful and hungry. The work we do for clients goes above and beyond, the design team are fantastic to work with, the engineers actually have personalities and will meet with clients happily and the delivery team is so on it, always managing budgets and timelines to a tee. The CEO is genuine, caring and leads by example. He's humble and always learning.

Cons

The company is very agile and that means the teams have to change direction quickly sometimes. In general management try to ensure everyone works 40 hours, but in ensuring we deliver what was agreed to clients sometimes that means we go over that, but it's not that frequent.

Praxent Response

Operations Manager

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences. I am so happy you are enjoying your time with us thus far. Please feel free to reach out if you need anything in the meantime, we're excited to continue investing in our culture and your feedback is super valuable to that process.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Outstanding company, excellent people

Dec 14, 2020 - Chief Operating Officer in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent work, very strong & positive culture

Cons

Serving a very competitive market

Praxent Response

Operations Manager

Hey there! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We Care Deeply about our team members and our culture, along with the work that we do. Hearing of your positive experience is very encouraging. Thanks again.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A lifelong dream come true

Oct 24, 2019 - Managing Partner in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company core values are lived every day by the team. The CEO is a person of principle that reinforces those core values. The team is full of brilliant, bright, approachable people that I feel honored to work with every day. While the company has been successful, it has not abandoned what is most important - the way the company delivers its value proposition, through the empowerment of its team members.

Cons

The change that comes with working for an entrepreneurial organization can take time to absorb and process from time to time. With that said, we are always moving forward and I am very optimistic about the future.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Best Decision Ever

May 15, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Autonomy. Treated like you're your own boss. Nobody is being micro managed. 2. Culture. Someone is always laughing. Taco Tuesday every time a new employee starts. Lunch every Wednesday. Huddle on Fridays. Snacks/drinks in the office, etc. 3. Core values are important. We've spent 4 days doing volunteer work. Always highlighting people who go above and beyond. 4. Interview process. Best process I've ever been a part of. So fast and there is no bullshi***** you. 5. You matter and what you do matters 6. Remote work/work from home flexibility, benefits are great.

Cons

1. Newer business. Of course there are growing pains as with any smaller company. 2. Not many concrete processes. If you're a fan of processes and don't like to pivot this company may not be for you. 3. Not a lot of people in the office at a given time. If you like to be around a lot of people at once you may be disappointed.

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A great place to work

Mar 13, 2019 - Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really enjoyed working as a developer at Praxent. The team was very hard working, skilled, and supportive. People are willing to help each other out and raise each other up. There was also the benefit of being able to work with several different technologies, as well as set the direction of the technology used when appropriate. Management was always supportive, and open for change. As far as process, Praxent was always looking to improve and move forward with the best approach, even if that meant changing a previously held beliefs or direction. Another bonus of working for Praxent is that the company is very open and transparent as far as sales and revenue are concerned.

Cons

There were times when we did have growing pains. As we added more developers , project managers, designers, etc., it took time to figure out how all the pieces fit, and how best to adjust our process. To everyone's credit, we worked through those issues and adjusted to move forward in a productive way.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

High expectations that ensures the team stays top notch

Feb 22, 2019 - Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unique projects. Extremely talented, relatable and fun staff. Work life balance is solid. Great pay. Lots of development opportunities and free food (that's good) is regular. A very communal feel. And the employee gatherings, events and social options are varied and memorable!

Cons

As a small shop, they are still working to nail down processes and standards. Which can be frustrating but they also let you help create and own the creation of them.

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Beware of downward spiral due to incapable management

Aug 28, 2018 - Business Technology Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Though I'd like to rate this company 1 star based on the absolute train wreck it turned out to be, I want to be fair and as neutral as possible given that half my time here was truly a good experience. I had a lot of high hopes for this company and was ready to stay for a long while until the toxic work environment unfolded. Half the team is quality - smart, committed, genuine, and kind. If they are still around when you join, you'll learn a lot from them. Generally you'll learn a lot because it's an agency. The work from home policy is solid, and during my time, nobody abused the privilege.

Cons

At the start of my tenure, the CEO was earnest, transparent, and appeared to make his own decisions. There was a solid establishment of trust amongst and throughout the team. About halfway through, it became apparent that he could not make decisions without kowtowing to specific members of upper management. I had the awkward experience of witnessing how he caved to one manager who refused to comprehend there was a budget for an internal project. To placate this manager, the CEO's solution was to agree to absolutely no budget. It was embarrassing and I essentially lost respect for him in that one moment. Regarding another manager, though the CEO was repeatedly presented facts and concerns by the team, he chose to ignore them for the longest while until it became clear that letting that manager go was necessary. Voicing concerns to upper management does nothing, even though they feign concern. Medical benefits were abysmal. You will pay through the nose for coverage and you'll feel the impact even if you are making a solid salary. No career path.

10 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

can-do people, learning organization

May 27, 2017 - User Experience Architect > Solution Architect > Design Technologist in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Every person on the team is dedicated to the success of Praxent's clients...it is not just lip service. In addition to being dedicated to clients, the team is dedicated to one another in very personal ways. My wife and I do an annual garage sale for a charity we love, and Tim, the founder of Praxent, has shown up to help and matched substantial sums of money that we raise. Lastly, Praxent hires only curious people who are driven to learn new things and find a better way to succeed... so much of how the company operates now was employee initiated.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about Praxent itself. There are always difficulties that come with being a consultancy, and Praxent is not immune, but handles things like market ups and downs much better than others.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Former Employee

Anonymous

Sep 23, 2015 -  in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Praxent is a great place to learn and grow. If you are willing to ask and go after what you want you will always be challenged and presented with new opportunities. The team is simply fantastic - a brilliant group of people with interesting backgrounds and experiences that are a real pleasure to work with. The management team is transparent and very communicative and great to work for/with.

Cons

The amount of meetings could be a bit much at times. There were a few temptations that would steal focus. In our earlier days we had some difficulty setting priorities, and had fallen into this trap of chasing multiple opportunities. This has definitely improved with clearer direction from the Executive team.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Team Member

Jul 20, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Praxent has represented one of the best professional opportunities I’ve ever had. Team members are empowered, partnerships are carefully considered, and ongoing training (such as internal brownbags, hackathons, and open-book financials) ensure that the status quo is considered only a stepping stone to what’s next. This is a team dedicated to continuous improvement. The Agile Scrum methodologies don’t just apply to engineering: in every way this organization iterates on its process, valuing customer collaboration, individuals and interactions, and responding to change.

Cons

It’s for the dedicated only. If considering a role here, remember that every team member will interface directly with customers and partners, is expected to help us improve together, and is expected to hold one another accountable to core values.

4 people found this review helpful