Praxent Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 28, 2018

4.0
Tim Hamilton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Close-knit, collaborative and innovative team"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Praxent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of creative, fascinating projects to work on. Constant push to learn and develop skills with support for training, collaboration and mentoring. Developers are able to learn new frameworks, languages and platforms as well as cutting-edge technologies.

The team is really close-knit. The hiring process is so thorough that once you're hired, everyone knows you are the best one for the job and treats you as such. They're very collaborative and trusting and tackle each customer solution as a team.

Management is very empathetic and focused on a culture that enables each team member to own their work. Employees are given lots of autonomy on their projects and their schedules. Flexible schedules as well as working from home is supported and encouraged.

There is also a huge focus on improvement and learning. The company is constantly iterating on processes, structure and roles but in an innovative and not disruptive manner. Changes are proposed by the employees and discussed and implemented as a team.

Failure and vulnerability are also allowed. This is a shame-free culture. Wins and losses are owned by the team. Failure is seen as an opportunity for growth and enlightenment.

The benefits and salary are really great. Salary is on the higher end for Austin. Great vacation (15 days + Christmas - New Years) and healthcare policy as well as 401K matching. La Croix/Topo Chico fridge and gluten-free snack bar in the kitchen may be my one of my top favorite benefits, though.

Social outings (optional) every month at various venues around ATX such as boat cruises, family picnics, happy hour, karaoke, etc. provide space to connect as a team and enjoy Austin's awesome social and outdoor activities.

Cons

Like any other agency the pace can be really fast. Developers' time is billed and the average is 40 hrs/week but there are occasions where deadlines must be met.

The team runs really lean so developers can be the solo dev on a project or multiple projects. This can lead to tech debt.

Advice to Management

Leave some padding in personnel. Have backfill for projects. Institute two devs per project minimum.

"Beware of downward spiral due to incapable management"

Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst

I worked at Praxent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Though I'd like to rate this company 1 star based on the absolute train wreck it turned out to be, I want to be fair and as neutral as possible given that half my time here was truly a good experience. I had a lot of high hopes for this company and was ready to stay for a long while until the toxic work environment unfolded.

Half the team is quality - smart, committed, genuine, and kind. If they are still around when you join, you'll learn a lot from them. Generally you'll learn a lot because it's an agency. The work from home policy is solid, and during my time, nobody abused the privilege.

Cons

At the start of my tenure, the CEO was earnest, transparent, and appeared to make his own decisions. There was a solid establishment of trust amongst and throughout the team. About halfway through, it became apparent that he could not make decisions without kowtowing to specific members of upper management. I had the awkward experience of witnessing how he caved to one manager who refused to comprehend there was a budget for an internal project. To placate this manager, the CEO's solution was to agree to absolutely no budget. It was embarrassing and I essentially lost respect for him in that one moment. Regarding another manager, though the CEO was repeatedly presented facts and concerns by the team, he chose to ignore them for the longest while until it became clear that letting that manager go was necessary.

Voicing concerns to upper management does nothing, even though they feign concern.

Medical benefits were abysmal. You will pay through the nose for coverage and you'll feel the impact even if you are making a solid salary.

No career path.

Advice to Management

Paying lip service to employees about caring is insulting. Actually follow through and understand what an employee is saying instead of using the Sandler method on them. And last but not least ( I can't believe I even have to say this) -- come to your own conclusions instead of blindly trusting what one person says.

"You will be disappointed!"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Austin, TX

I worked at Praxent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers. Good intentions from CEO.

Cons

Terrible Planning. Horrible communication between management and employees about what is expected and what is the feedback. One day you are getting all praises, and without notice you are demoted or fired. A lot of ego among management, except for the CEO. The moment the company becomes low in cash they just start writing people off and expand outsourcing. Do not plan your lige around this company.

Advice to Management

Be clear at all time on what you expect from an employee and communivate with purpose. Give honest feedback. Plan better.

"Really disappointed..."

Former Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Praxent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are very nice.

Cons

The meetings are absolutely out of control. There are meetings about setting up future meetings, etc Very little time to actually get your work done. They have weekly huddle meetings. These are the corniest meetings, ever. You have queues to do various things during the meetings like drum rolls, make odd sounds with your mouth, play middle school youth group games. It's embarrassing.

They work developers to the bone. They over commit individual developers to too many different projects. Lots of late nights and weekends trying to play catch up. There are no project managers, just "solution architects," so it's really common for SA's to just expect you to jump on their projects without clearing it with you first.

The pay is incredibly low.

The company in general is very cheap. When candidates fly in from other parts of the country they only pay their airfare. It's up to the candidate to pay for their own room and board, food, transportation. I recommended a friend to the company who was interviewed and I was really embarrassed when she told me this. She was given an official offer and the relocation package they put together was only $2k... Who in the world can relocate across the country for that little amount of money? That wouldn't even cover the U-Haul truck let alone paying for your broken lease, new apartment deposit, etc.

In general their clientele is super blasé. Got really tired of developing websites for catheter shipping companies and law firms, etc.

If this company had a spirit animal it would be a manila envelope.

Advice to Management

Stop being cheap and boring. Ditch the corny meetings. Quit working your developers into the ground. Adopt new exciting languages. Stop playing everything so safe. Developers are in high demand... Adapt or perish.

Praxent Response

Oct 16, 2017 – Operations Manager

Dear reviewer,

We are saddened to learn that this is how you will remember your time at Praxent. Praxent encourages all employees to provide feedback and share ideas on a regular basis. After... More

5. "My Dream Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Praxent full-time

Pros

- Our CEO is an inspiring leader
    - Our core value and culture are alive and well
    - The people are brilliant, supportive, and ego-free

Cons

- We're a fast growing organization, which means we all wear a lot of hats

Advice to Management

Keep being intentional about investing in the infrastructure that will help us grow professionally and as an organization

6. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Praxent full-time

Pros

-Implicitly trusts and empowers every associate
    -Flexible work schedule
    -Ability to work with many clients and technologies

Cons

-We run pretty lean, so be prepared to help fill in the gaps!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, the direction, especially over the past year, has been fantastic.

7. "I love it here"

I have been working at Praxent full-time

Pros

A truly talented team of genuine people
    The management team is eager to receive feedback
    The company's core values are so good that at times I consider them my personal core values
    Everyone has freedom and independence, each employee is trusted on day 1
    Family-friendly

Cons

Heavy workloads at times
    It's a small company and each position covers a lot of area, this means a lot of task switching

Advice to Management

Keep taking feedback to heart, you're listening well.

"can-do people, learning organization"

Former Employee - User Experience Architect > Solution Architect > Design Technologist in Austin, TX

I worked at Praxent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Every person on the team is dedicated to the success of Praxent's clients...it is not just lip service. In addition to being dedicated to clients, the team is dedicated to one another in very personal ways. My wife and I do an annual garage sale for a charity we love, and Tim, the founder of Praxent, has shown up to help and matched substantial sums of money that we raise. Lastly, Praxent hires only curious people who are driven to learn new things and find a better way to succeed... so much of how the company operates now was employee initiated.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about Praxent itself. There are always difficulties that come with being a consultancy, and Praxent is not immune, but handles things like market ups and downs much better than others.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring talented people who are aligned with the culture.

9. "Sales Development Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Praxent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Praxent is extremely progressive and a thought leader in their industry. They have great leadership and direction along with a team full of extremely talented and thorough developers.

Cons

I couldn't think of one thing that was negative in my time at Praxent.

Advice to Management

Continue to create blue oceans for your clients, enabling them to disrupt their industries.

"Great people, incredible opportunities."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Praxent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to work with a huge array of technologies, develop hard and soft skills, agile project management done the right way. Lots of autonomy. Everyone top-down is constantly pushing themselves to improve.

Cons

Can wind up with a very heavy workload if you don't communicate or push back effectively.

Advice to Management

There are numerous ways to capture the value of performance and contributions.