Praxis Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Dunahoo

Pros
  • Lots of company paid happy hours and lunches (in 7 reviews)

• The open door policy of upper management is great (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Flat structure can be bad if you are looking for a well defined career path (in 2 reviews)

1. "Best Mid-Size Company In This Industry"

Former Employee - Engineer in Linthicum, MD
    Former Employee - Engineer in Linthicum, MD

I worked at Praxis Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Praxis does a great job of making you feel welcome from the start (and even before). Their partners really do uphold an "open-door" policy. They do their best to enable the success and growth of their employees any way that they can.

Cons

Competition in this industry is important, but fierce. Praxis does an excellent job of insulating their employees from contract changes, but sometimes politics are unavoidable. Still, I admire their goal of competing with more established companies in the industry.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great leadership. The company really cares about the employees, which is very rare from large companies. I get to choose a project that I like instead of being told to go on a project and be a cog in the machine.

Cons

Lot of subcontractors in the company, but it's not a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"One of the best govt contractors"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Praxis Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- All of their employees are high quality
    - Great management, PMs
    - They've kept small company quality and vibe while being a midsize company
    - Interesting contracts to work on; a lot of primes

Cons

They don't have the highest salaries

Advice to Management

Keep doing whats made you successful

"Great place to be!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good about providing training to help you enhance your skills.
    Management has a very open door policy and I'm always comfortable going to management with a concern
    Very good social awareness program

Cons

The performance review process is not nearly as formal as I would like.

"Awesome mid-size company in central Maryland that I have worked for the last 7 1/2 years."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel that Praxis Engineering cares for me, I can balance work and life, and they provide me with excellent benefits.

Cons

Job positions can be limited since it mainly caters to one area of business. It is located near Ft. Meade, MD.

Advice to Management

Try to expand onto the commercial side of business.

"Better Government Contractor"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Praxis Engineering (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great company to work for in the government contracting world.
    - Lots of good opportunities for software engineers.
    - Flat company structure. Very little bureaucracy, overhead, and other large firm pains
    - Lots of company paid happy hours and lunches
    - Great compensation
    - Very friendly management and coworkers

Cons

- Flat structure can be bad if you are looking for a well defined career path
    - Need a pretty high security clearance to be employable

Advice to Management

- Don't lose the great small private company culture that makes working for you a joy as the company expands

"Small Company Feel, Big Company Response"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At Praxis, you are more than a number or a resource to fill a spot. They care about your individual career success and see how that benefits the company and customer. Praxis management (even the VPs and President) knows each employee and invests in our education and advancement. While we 'feel' small, we prime contracts and are able to bid and compete against large companies. We have never stopped growing organically, despite the tumultuous environment over the years. Lay offs almost never happen - Praxis allows for time on the bench, and encourages employees in between jobs to contribute to the company in various ad-hoc ways.

We have great parties (3 each year) and there are always sporting tickets up for grabs (O's, Nat's, Redskins, Ravins). Great referral incentives, profit sharing, health care contributions (we even have a high deductible health care plan that is covered at 100% after deductible), snacks and drinks always available at the parent office, free swag from Under Armour and Lands End, exchange closet, etc.

Open communication through quarterly all-hands meetings - they even ask for your q's and don't shy away from answering the hard questions.

I've always gotten very respectable salary increases without having to ask, even when the economy is down. My manager always keeps tabs on my performance and actually talks to the people I work with - performance reviews do not stress performance review paperwork to prove my yearly worth to the company.

Paid time off benefits are very good - I'm up to 5 weeks plus a week of personal leave, which you are free to use without justification (unlike some of the big companies that won't even tell you there is such a thing as sick leave)

I was able to change careers with the blessing of Praxis - this was by far the biggest benefit I've experienced in my employment. The encouragement to step up and do new things was incredible. They also are very supportive of working reduced hours to create a work-life balance.

Cons

As with any contracting company, if you work at a customer site, you don't get over to the parent office very often, but Praxis tries to keep the employees well-informed and involved. There is always an excuse to get over and socialize.

We used to get snow days paid for 'code red' days, but that was not sustainable, so we have to take leave just like everyone else now.

Advice to Management

Keep up investing in your employees....it's working!

I would hope the summer event could go back to being more of a company thing; the ballgame is great, but I don't end up socializing with any Praxis people.

"Backs words with actions"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its not all about making money to Praxis. They actually care about their employees and follow their core values. Only company that I ever worked for that actually evaluates itself against its core values quarterly in front of its employees. If people have any issues and communicate them, Praxis can usually find a win-win outcome for everyone.

Cons

Some policies are different than how most contractors operate in this area. Some might consider it a con, but really its just a different business decision. For instance, 401k is a yearly lump contribution, not a monthly match and they don't pay overtime, just apply it as comp-time because they actually want you to have a good work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Have middle management engage people on-site more regularly to keep up retention. Some people will go on site and feel forgotten about or under appreciated and begin to look for greener grass. So they leave and blame Praxis. This is especially true where employees are surrounded with a lot of non-Praxis people.

9. "Praxis is a great place to intern."

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been at Praxis for about a month, but I already feel extremely welcomed by the other employees. Everyone I have talked to, from HR to IT to upper level executives, have been friendly and courteous. I couldn't ask for a better work environment. Best of all, Praxis PAYS their interns. That is rare. The other two internships I have worked were not paid, and most of the internships I have investigated/applied for were also unpaid.

Cons

My responsibilities themselves are boring, but that is often the nature of an intern position.

"The best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Finally, a company who hires an engineer to do engineering without the pressure to manage, write proposals, or get some silly company certification. The management really works at fitting employees to positions where they can be happy and successful. Praxis is big enough to weather the lean times but small enough to have genuine concern for the well-being of employees.

Cons

I would like to see more contract diversity to put the eggs in more baskets, but I have faith in the ability of senior management to find new opportunities as needed.