Precigen Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 13, 2019

Found 10 reviews

4.8
  1. Featured Review

"Taking Cancer Research to the Next Level"

Current Employee - Lead in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Precigen full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

We are focused on enhancing the world with a diverse and unique pathway to medical advancement. We've been challenged by a strong leader to embrace our core responsibility to those who are counting on our success.. Her objective is simple, " PATIENT FIRST" It's been an exciting tenure and i'm proud to be apart of this company and the future ahead.

Cons

No real cons. The environment is sound but the mission and objectives are strict. The ability to adapt, adjust and accommodate are three key virtues we've all had adopt. This may be challenging for someone who doesn't do well with change or able to think outside the box.

Precigen2019-04-11
  2. "Cutting edge science that can impact patient care"

Former Employee - Scientist in Germantown, MD

I worked at Precigen full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent colleagues, mission-driven culture, great people, dedicated leadership team, opportunities for career growth, dynamic environment where improvements are quickly implemented

Cons

Fast pace of research is challenging but necessary

Advice to Management

Continue to push to transform the company into a top-tier biotech and set the industry standard for the delivery of innovative therapies into the clinic

Precigen2019-07-27
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Lots of potential but none realized."

Current Employee - Scientist in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Precigen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Lack of respect and value of employees.

Advice to Management

Find new ways to bring a sense of community and inclusion to the company.

Precigen2019-10-13
  5. "Excellent management team with clear vision and strategy to reach the goals."

Current Employee - Director in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Precigen full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work/ life balance, empowers the team to carry on the day to day work.

Cons

None at the moment that concerns.

Precigen2019-04-27
  6. "Precigen, a new biotech with a solid foundation in R&D of biologic therapeutics"

Current Employee - Vice President Regulatory Affairs in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Precigen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Precigen is a newly formed biotech company with a maturity that is founded on years of research and development as the Human Therapeutics Division (HTD) of Intrexon. The HTD developed platform technology that it in turn partnered with other companies who were responsible for the clinical development. The emergence of Precigen as a full-fledged biotech company shifted that paradigm, such that Precigen is now in... full in command of the clinical development of its own products. This shift in its business paradigm was highlighted by the hiring of Dr.Helen Sabzevari as Precigen’s President. As its President, Dr. Sabzevari gave Precigen the clear direction for development of targeted therapeutics in oncology and infectious diseases that it needed to harness the Company’s true potential. The result, in less than two years Precigen has filed and received FDA approval for two INDs supporting clinical development of two of its engineered cell therapy products and expects to file an additional IND for a vaccine this year. Having been in drug development for over 26 years, six of which were as an FDA reviewer, I have to say that from the time I joined Intrexon, (a little over 3 years ago) I have been truly impressed with its platform technologies and the high scientific standards by which it conducts its research and development activities. These capabilities founded by years of development under the HTD umbrella have now been demonstratively augmented by the acquisition of GenVec, the hiring of Dr. Sabzevari and the resulting leadership team we now have at Precigen. Collectively, Precigen’s solid R&D capabilities, the focused direction provided by Dr. Sabzevari and the current leadership team have given me what I consider the clearest opportunity of my career to contribute to the development of life changing therapeutics. Overall, I would characterize Precigen as a company with a sense of urgency to develop therapies to help patients who have no other options. I believe it is just this since of urgency that will set Precigen apart from all other emerging biotech companies and will found its success in the future.

Cons

Because of the sense of urgency in developing life changing biotechnology products, Precigen operates at a relatively quick pace. The environment encourages performance, and for those who go to work just to earn a pay check, Precigen may not be for you. Precigen is a place for thinkers and doers, the management and project teams lead by example and everyone has the attitude that if a job needs doing, you to do it,... irrespective of your pay grade. Overall, I think this will do attitude contributes to a true team dynamic and environment that attracts top tier candidates who are performance and team oriented.

Advice to Management

From my perspective, I think management is primarily focused on streamlining product development and getting products into clinical testing as quickly as possible. Management's challenge is to find ways to encourage Precigen's sense of urgency in groups outside of Precigen, with whom we have to work.

Precigen2019-04-22
  7. "Dynamic and Exciting place to work!"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Precigen full-time for less than a year

Pros

The leadership at Precigen truly cares about patients and saving lives! I believe leaders can set the tone to create/change a culture and Precigen is doing that! It is extremely exciting to work at Precigen! Our science is outstanding. We are encouraged to think “out of the box”, plan carefully, and move fast to implement ideas. Excellent scientists, working closely, to develop and move forward cost-effective... therapies to treat patients. Precigen is a place where I feel my talents and expertise are continuously being developed, utilized, and valued. The science and technology are cutting edge and the working environment is dynamic, cooperative, and supportive. We evaluate our programs regularly which allow us to design experiments to answer the scientific questions and conclude whether to move forward or change strategies and approach. If you are equipped for a dynamic environment, Precigen is for you.

Cons

This is not a con, but we are not a “status quo” company!

Precigen2019-04-19
  8. "Fast-paced, innovative company with diverse technology platform"

I have been working at Precigen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Collaborative scientific culture Diverse technology platform Cell and gene therapies in the fields of Immuno-oncology, Infectious disease, Autoimmunity Seasoned leadership Fast-paced environment Exciting, innovative programs Well-equipped facilities

Cons

No major Cons to speak of

Advice to Management

No major Cons

Precigen2019-04-12
  9. "Excellent scientific environment moving advanced therapies to the clinic"

Current Employee - Director in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Precigen full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Precigen is all about top-notch scientists working closely together to move therapeutics into the clinic as fast as possible. Two INDs in a little over a year, start to finish, is generally unheard of but Precigen is doing it (with more to come). The top executives are genuinely driven by saving lives and developing cost-effective therapies. Every part of the organization is valued and knows that they play their... role in the success of the company. Programs are appropriately planned, staffed, and regularly tracked. I feel like my work matters and that what I do here will have a real life impact on people suffering from disease today. I feel valued, that my opinion and ideas count, and that the company cares about my career development.

Cons

Not a con, but programs are evaluated regularly to reach Go/No Go decisions so this may not be the place for someone who has trouble moving on to new projects.

Precigen2019-02-27

"Exciting Times @ Precigen!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Precigen full-time

Pros

Things are very exciting at Precigen. Intrexon spinning off the Health sector to create Precigen has been the greatest thing. We have our own identity now and are fast becoming a great company. Our leadership is providing aggressive yet achievable goals for product advancement, and we are doing things the "right" way. There is a solid, step-wise approach moving to develop and implement the infrastructure needed to... sustain the momentum. And, our science is good, paradigm shifting even. Everything is looking positive and I see no reason why we will not become an industry leader in the therapeutic areas in which we work.

Cons

Not really a con, but rather an explanation of where Precigen is right now. If you prefer a static work environment with set ways, Precigen is not for you! We are developing cutting edge therapies and building the systems and infrastructure needed to advance those therapies through clinical development. This makes for a dynamic environment, and we are building the company to be best in class.

Precigen2019-02-13
  11. "Small company with a big focus"

Current Employee - Manager in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Precigen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Even though it is a subsidiary of Intrexon, it has its own small company feel. People know each other (even if you don't interact daily). Small also means that you are potentially exposed to many areas you wouldn't see if part of a larger organization. Given the custom nature of some of their technology, it really feels like one is making a difference in the lives of those associated with a trial.

Cons

Like most small firms, the occasional odd hours (travel, experiment set up, dead lines, etc...) may turn people off.

Advice to Management

Outlining career advancement and development opportunities needs some work.

Precigen2019-02-01