Precision Health Economics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Good work, smart people, growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

They do incredible work that has the potential to impact the healthcare industry. All of the people who work here are very smart and hard working.

Cons

As a somewhat new company, they have growing pains and are still trying to figure things out.

"Pharmaceutical help"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Precision Health Economics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Conduct research, fairly autonomous,

Cons

All work is related to pharmaceuticals. Mostly trying to find ways to justify why drugs should be even more expensive. This research would never fly in academia. They say they are unbiased but it's far from true.

Advice to Management

Try to find some unbiased work

"Good research opportunities"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Precision Health Economics full-time

Pros

PHE is a good place to work on a variety of research opportunities across many different therapeutic areas. Coworkers are wonderful and it is a relatively laid back work environment. The people of PHE make this job what it is.

Cons

Lack of supported routes to develop additional research skills. Compensation seems below private market standards.

Advice to Management

Work to improve sustainable, professional growth opportunities for all departments, not just health economics.

"Academic experience in a consulting environment"

Current Employee - Senior Economist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Economist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Precision Health Economics full-time

Pros

I had no idea that a firm like this existed. It was a hard decision for me not to pursue academic opportunities after my PhD, but family constraints meant I had to be in the Los Angeles area. When I found PHE, with its rich portfolio of research opportunities, I jumped at the chance. The work is fascinating, the clients are very respectful (because of PHE's reputation), and the people are very smart. They are also very respectful of my family constraints.

As I have grown to understand the research and business, I have also gotten more autonomy. I am learning management skills becasue I control the resources on my research team. I also get to interact with the client on a regular business, and am even learning some business development.

I always planned to start my own firm some day, and this is the best training I could have.

Cons

I wish they had more offices in other areas, so employees could relocate. My significant other has a great academic opportunity elsewhere, but we decided to stay in LA because of PHE.

Advice to Management

Great job! Please get more space in LA.

"Really great place to work"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Precision Health Economics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours, great pay at the research associate level. Lots to learn and a lot of opportunity to work with some of the best economists in the nation. If interested in PhD programs later on in life, or if interested in gaining lots of responsibility early on, this is the place to be.

Cons

No cons - this is a great company to work for. I've enjoyed my time here very much so far.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Interesting applied research"

Current Employee - Research Economist
    Current Employee - Research Economist

I have been working at Precision Health Economics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Interesting applied research in an academic environment
    -Work that is technically challenging, diverse, and relevant to current policy discussions
    -Interdisciplinary teams with backgrounds spanning economics, epidemiology, public policy, public health, statistics, and engineering
    -Good pay and flexible work from home policy

Cons

-Could be more defined career tracts as well as opportunities for growth and advancement (especially among non PhD researchers)
    -Tendency for management to try and micromanage research staff

Advice to Management

Resist the temptation to do too much micromanaging,

7. "Great, collaborative atmosphere to work!"

I worked at Precision Health Economics full-time

Pros

Working at PHE, you have access to not only the leading science in health economics, but the leading minds as well. Everyone is collegial and collaborative. While the goal is to get the client quality research in a timely fashion, everyone is committed to the team and helping one another out.

Cons

The career trajectory for younger employees is not so straightforward and more emphasis is put on having a PhD at the end of your name than your experience level.

Advice to Management

Open communication is the best tactic. Be open with your employees about the direction of the company and any foreseeable hurdles. This helps your employees (especially the younger ones) feel like they have a firm hold on where things are going.

"Basic consulting firm"

Pros

Simple research projects. Decent work life balance.

Cons

Leaders have no management experience and make a mess out of a lot of things. Very little efficiency in the research process. They don't provide researchers autonomy and expect them to do assembly line research.

9. "Company culture needs work"

Current Employee - Research Associate
    Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at Precision Health Economics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, flexible working remote policies (but not evenly implemented across the organization), pleasant coworkers who want to do interesting work.

Cons

Management's lack of transparency and leadership's clear favoritism for some departments over others is bad for morale. The organization is quickly becoming political and top-heavy. Implement clearer, more honest communication strategies to build trust and respect across all levels of the organization. ALL employees should be valued, feel valued, and have growth and development opportunities.

Advice to Management

Do not promote people based on their years with the company...encourage and reward people who do good work. Examine the company culture and think of ways to improve the interdepartmental dynamics. Flatten the forced hierarchy.

10. "Interesting work but the growing pains are real."

I have been working at Precision Health Economics full-time

Pros

A lot of smart individuals. Interesting work with the ability to collaborate with some of the bigger names in the field. Leadership is willing to invest in development (for select employees) and support personal research initiatives.

Cons

Top-heavy organization with very little communication taking place between management and "other" employees. (Management courses could help address some of these issues.) The company has been growing quickly but actions/responses have been painfully slow. The PHE culture is becoming more of a hierarchical/political environment. Suggestions to improve processes often fall on deaf ears.

Advice to Management

Be more critical of management (yes) and increase the amount of communication with employees. You are asking employees to take an all-in approach but some degree of transparency is needed to build trust. Follow through on your commitments. Efforts should be made to flatten the organization.