Preferred Hotels & Resorts Reviews | Glassdoor

Preferred Hotels & Resorts Reviews

Updated May 15, 2019

Found 44 reviews

3.2
Preferred Hotels & Resorts CEO Lindsey Ueberroth (no image)
Lindsey Ueberroth
  1. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Preferred Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great teamwork among all departments

Cons

Limited opportunities for Account Managers, unless you apply for different position

Preferred Hotels & Resorts2019-05-15

"Ownership Issues"

I worked at Preferred Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly co-workers and great office parties.

Cons

CEO and family that owns company need to retire and let others take over. CEO is extremely rude and controlling in areas he knows nothing about.

Advice to Management

Retire.

Preferred Hotels & Resorts2019-03-25

"Pure Arrogance"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Preferred Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fellow co-workers and free coffee

Cons

Very hostile work environment. Senior management (because they are so old and longtime friends of the family that owns the company makes them senior) are very arrogant and treat the staff like they are in a different class. Very arrogant and made for a very unpleasant experience.

Advice to Management

Consider mandatory retirement at 70? Treat the support staff with respect. Real respect. Actions speak louder than words.

Preferred Hotels & Resorts2019-03-20

"Is the business model sustainable?"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President of Group Sales

I worked at Preferred Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Like to innovate, family-run, compensation, global travel, level of responsibility commensurate with skill level

Cons

Price-value for hotels can be low unless the hotel engages in the brand.

Advice to Management

Loyalty is not all that it is cracked up to be

Preferred Hotels & Resorts2018-10-10

"Coordinator"

I worked at Preferred Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They have nice parties/social work events during the holidays and summer.

Cons

Nepotism is rampant. Top-heavy management structure. Promotions and moving up in this company seems impossible no matter how hard you work. Unless you become or are friends with an executive or are a family member. They sell you a dream but after a while you realize it is a nightmare. The pay is terrible and you will rarely, if ever, get a raise. Seem to waste a lot of money. Not a diverse company at... all especially in upper management. If you are a minority in the US I would not apply to this company. I rarely saw people of color, especially women of color (who worked just as hard if not harder as others) get promoted. They will give you a great review but you'll have nothing to show for it. Human resources is never on the employees side. They'll act like they are on yours and fair but in the long run be careful what you share with them. I witnessed the hardest working people in the company barely get the recognition and respect they deserved. People who have been there 20+ years and know more than some of the most highest level positions are overworked and underpaid. Very rude coworkers. Will talk down to employees in entry-level roles. Often get too drunk at the Holiday party which can lead to misconduct (racism, sexism). A lot of burn out among employees.

Advice to Management

You will continue to lose some of your best, hardest working employees if you continue to undervalue them the way you do. I have talked to many current and previous employees and most of us hit a point where we would rather be homeless then go to work another day. It is a very toxic and stressful environment that I think the CEO and others in upper management continue to ignore . You only pay attention to those... that brown nose and give you nothing but praise. Pay attention to those who have good constructive criticism before it leads to reviews like this. Pay your employees what they are worth and for the work they do. Its ridiculous for some to be making close to the same salary as someone who works in retail. You cannot live in the cities you have offices in on some of the salaries you offer.

Preferred Hotels & Resorts2018-11-01

Preferred Hotels & Resorts Response

January 22, 2019

It is unfortunate to hear that your experience as a member of our team was not more positive, especially because your comments are in conflict with our core values, specifically that we care, that family values inspire us, and that we engineer potential, foster trust, and co-create ...

6. "Good people"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Preferred Hotels & Resorts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Kind, hard working people with good hearts

Cons

Increase salaries across the board

Preferred Hotels & Resorts2018-08-28
  7. "Administrative"

I have been working at Preferred Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Fabulous place to work at

Cons

none that I can think of

Preferred Hotels & Resorts2018-08-20

"Lots of positives"

I have been working at Preferred Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is solid and is striving to improve and develop in every way. If you are flexible and professionally mature, then you will do well and advancement opportunities are readily available.

Cons

There are many mediocre people working there now, so don't expect great support from some colleagues (in some departments). The standards and expectations are increasing with new management though.

Advice to Management

Invest is good people. It takes good people to move the company forward.

Preferred Hotels & Resorts2018-05-19
  9. "Loved the marketing department"

Former Employee - Marketing in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Preferred Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Was part of the marketing team. Great people. Fantastic culture in the marketing suite. Good work-life balance. Collaborative environment. Summer Fridays.

Cons

Minimal communication from executives and other departments. Occasionally felt looked down upon by high-level staff and global teams. Minimal appreciation/acknowledgement from other departments.

Preferred Hotels & Resorts2018-01-29

"PHG Consulting, Public Relations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Preferred Hotels & Resorts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good health benefits, 401 K, travel perks.

Cons

PR employees in New York City report to senior management in California, who "manages" by having the most senior NY employee (not in PR department) “report” back. This felt like spying to me in most cases due to the fact that NY senior management had no real idea what PR was or understood what the team did, but instead was quick to comment and gossip going straight to California management with complaints that could... have been taken care of with a simple conversation. Additionally, California management consistently wrote passive aggressive emails and used rhetorical questions to make the receiver feel belittled and/or stupid. I was honestly shocked by the emails sent to other team members (as well as myself), especially International PR team members, who were nothing but kind. California management thought it was appropriate to vent - comment poorly - about employees behind their backs. Almost daily, I was on edge due to the environment and did not mesh with the company culture at all. A few other things to note about the NY office: No overtime or comp time. Start time 8:30am (end 5:30pm) for PR, but everyone else (sales, revenue, etc.) seems to trickle in between 9:30am-11am, if they come in at all. The company culture was stuffy and very quiet. There are a few wonderful PR people in the NY office (let’s see how long they stick around). No week off between Christmas and New Year’s (not permitted to work from home during that time). In the PR department, be ready to do all of your own administrative work and tasks that lower level / admin would normally do, such as list building, clipping media hits and sending media mailings.

Advice to Management

Make company culture more of a priority in NYC office. No need to rule with fear and aggressiveness. Kindness goes a long way.

Preferred Hotels & Resorts2018-02-16