Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Jeff Roe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • very supportive of work-life balance (in 73 reviews)

• They have good benefits including a pension (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Glad to be part of the change!!!"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It’s a good place to be if you want to be part of an organization going through a lot of needed change and you want to help with that change. We have a lot of new leaders and new employees bringing good ideas and challenging the status quo. We have new values that we are trying to live, more clarity on communications and a new focus on how we can improve customers’ lives by making healthcare work better. Pay is competitive and benefits are really good, including a 401K and we still have a pension. We even have more employee forums where we are able to share our thoughts.

Cons

Like most companies, we still have our issues too. Yes, we have leadership and employee issues in pockets of the company that are slower to adapt to the change making it difficult for some of us that want change. It is a burden on some of us as we need to pick up the extra work, but we are seeing more being done about it to address these concerns. We don’t always know if we are heard as communication is not always the best, but we know they are trying.

Advice to Management

I think we are going in the right direction and that our leadership teams are doing a good job. There are opportunities for better leadership training and better communication throughout the company. Many of us are still trying to understand where we are going as a company so help us do that.

May 22, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

We are happy to share that additional employee training (including leadership training) is ongoing. While we work hard each day to make healthcare work better, financial health is important as... More

2. "QA Manual tester"

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

all pros. great people to work with

Cons

very relaxing environment no cons

3. "New Employee Review"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

It's gratifying to be involved in the healthcare sector. I like being part of a good cause. Premera has a rigorous social impact and community relations program. Premera provides ample opportunity for employee volunteerism in the community. The campus is beautiful and the employees are friendly.

Cons

Can't think of a downside.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Jul 12, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Welcome to Premera! We are lucky to have you!

"It could be so good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice campus, clean restrooms, exercise programs and they will pay for some education. 401k and mostly nice coworkers. Health insurance benefits are just ok.

Cons

Top heavy, constant reorganizations. They talk agile but are dinosaurs. Contractors are replacing full timers. Contractors also brought in as project managers who don't know anything. Constant management turnover, lost knowledge, delays. There is a culture of fear due to the layoffs.

Advice to Management

Retain your good people. Get rid of the managers who don't care or listen. Stop sending out articles that we should give a higher rating on glassdoor.

"The Trump of Healthcare Plans."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

Pros

Geographical location. Campus setting. Low bar to be an Executive but pay good. So many problems to fix that it's quite easy to do well there.

Cons

Old, outdated model of management over leadership that is not changing as advertised. Very white, very conservative company that lost its way many years ago. Does not cultivate its own young talent and believes in overpaying outsiders for high level roles. Poor work life balance and exceptionally poor HR leadership. Best way to describe Premera's constant leadership churn: "like shuffling around deck chairs on the Titanic."

Advice to Management

Leave. If you're Senior Mgmt then start making better hires.

Jul 12, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

The process of changing an organizations culture takes time, but we are happy to say that so much positive work has been done to keep us on the right path moving forward. Premera continues to have a... More

"Sucks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location and free parking was convenient

Cons

Incompetent managers, no clear procedures and always playing favorites, nepotism was obvious

Advice to Management

Get real managers in place, have a plan and clear processes before you start a project

"Slow pace, low pay, outdated technology"

Former Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many people that are fun to work with. Parking got better after the layoffs. Nice walkable campus as long as you stay on campus (there have been muggings and lots of used needles on the walking trails).

Cons

Lots of weird, stodgy policies. Can't have a fan on your desk (or anything else that you plug in) without risking a talking to by the facilities team. There's a dress code (at least you can wear jeans now). And a cup of coffee costs $1. Ineffectual managers who can talk a good game but add no value or stomp on people get promoted quickly. In IT, if you're not a former Safeco manager, you're not going anywhere. Lots of good talent lost to layoffs and frustration. If you want career growth, forget about it. You can make lateral moves but you'll get passed over for new jobs that will stretch you and let you grow. Way too many weird manual processes and hacks because the project owner or business didn't want to spend the time to do the project right. And to top it off, pay is pretty low for IT associates. Moving to a real tech company can yield better benefits and lots more base pay. But I suppose the pension is kind of neat.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the stodgy policies. Stop the project hacks. And most importantly, trust your associates with new tasks and let them grow.

"Changing times"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a good work life balance
    Employees are afforded the ability to be heard
    Respectful
    Leaders who listen
    Great benefits

Cons

The culture is undergoing change, and there are groups that are faster to adopt new methodologies and processes than others

Advice to Management

Cultivate a culture where feedback is actioned.

Jul 12, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

You're absolutely right, Premera is undergoing change. Change and evolution is a constant for growing and successful organizations. Premera's change over the last couple of years has been... More

"Death spiral"

Current Employee - Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you live in the north end, the commute is less brutal. Expectations are low so if you are smart you can work a true 40 hour week.

Cons

No clear strategy. Management is reactive and childish. Careers have been ruined because senior leadership didn't like hearing the truth.

Advice to Management

This isn't junior high school. You hired some smart people from outside insurance and they made you uncomfortable. So you fired them and went back to your comfort zone. Good luck with that!

"Amidst many positive changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ The people I work with are super smart and mission-driven, which is continuously motivating.
    + I have the opportunity learn something new about the business and the industry everyday.
    + Major positive changes surrounding employee culture. The HR team has done a lot of work in helping us make sure we embody our organization's values, all of which are focused on doing the right thing for our customers.
    + Lots of employee perks and recognition
    + Increased transparency to the decision-making happening at the executive leadership level

Cons

- Long-term goals and strategy is not always well communicated. It can feel like all of our teams are headed in different directions. Goals are not defined with enough clarity or timing to meet
    - There are leadership silos, which makes it hard to collaborate with other teams whose leaders have a different philosophy than you're own team's

Advice to Management

To senior management, focus on providing clear direction to the company and clearing barriers across the organization so that our teams can work together.

Jun 15, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

A lot of the positive change and "Pros" you have outlined all originated from our employees and their feedback! We hope that you have seen, and will continue to see, further growth in these areas... More