Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Jeff Roe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor work life balance and exceptionally poor HR leadership" (in 15 reviews)

• "Middle management can be micromanagers and not great leaders, but the upper management is excellent" (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Customer Service-Providers-National Accounts"

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed the positive family culture at Premera. Every day that I worked there, I knew I was a part of a team that truly valued our clients and our relationships with each other. Premera has a strong family culture and constantly strives to improve their customer support, making the patient first priority with every new initiative.

Cons

Premera is strongly encouraging representatives to refer clients to online resources so that they could decrease call volume and increase customer comfort with online materials. While this is great for the company, it led to a lot of fear within our department about job security and longevity. Other departments had conducted large-scale lay offs within the same period.

Mar 8, 2018 – Vice President, Customer Service

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. It sounds like you and your team truly embraced our purpose of improving customers’ lives by making healthcare work better. As you mention, taking great... More

"They’re never getting rid of me"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, PTO, Competitve pay, Health Benefits

Cons

Access to areas for Nursing Mothers is difficult and limited

Dec 22, 2017 – Vice President, Customer Service

Welcome to Premera! I’m grateful for the support you provide our customers each day. I encourage you to share additional details on the challenges you’ve experienced accessing the Mothers Rooms with... More

"Postive Culture Change"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules for leadership in Operations to match Flex schedules of front-line employees.
    Great benefits package
    Great people!
    On-campus cross-fit by Industrious Cross Fit 2 times a week during the summer months.
    Positively changing culture that should bring more openness and visibility as time goes on.

Cons

Leaders above the manager level can be a bit closed off and create barriers. This is something that is actively being worked on and time will tell if the changes those way up at the top will trickle down and eliminate barriers.

Advice to Management

Be open, and also behave in the same manner you would expect of all subordinates.

"Technical Support"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible work schedule, great benefits, very competitive pay, great people to work with.

Cons

Way too many layers of management! Middle management can be micromanagers and not great leaders, but the upper management is excellent.

Advice to Management

Learn from and utilize the expertise of the people working under you, rather than trying to micromanage and be "in the weeds."

5. "Administrative Assistant II"

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance and growth opportunities

Cons

Over-worked, not the best in wages or cost of living raises

"Project Coordinator I"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Paid Time Off, Employee incentives, Employee Engagement Events

Cons

Poor under-developed leadership, HR turns a blind eye to Employee concerns, No clear path for upward movement, After you've been with the company for more than 1 year the pay raises are no more than 10-15 cents.

Advice to Management

Just because someone is given the title of a leader or manager does not mean that they have the necessary skills to assume the role. My manager was very vocal that she is not a people person. My director used the an avoidance leadership style and was unapproachable. Other directors on my team were strictly hierarchical and would not give anyone the time of day that was not directly below them. I've seen my director yell at vendors while in meetings and not receive any consequence. I voiced my concern of not feeling safe in the workplace to my manager, and my manager responded by saying "assume positive intent". Poor leadership and management is what will be the downfall of a great company.

"Work Environement"

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I worked there the good about Premera was their work life balance. They did emphasize that. The easy use of your earned PTO. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Salary was very minimal for growth. Less than the cost of living for the IT side of they company. Company made wide sweeping personnel changes that let go many long time loyal employees.

Advice to Management

Work with your current talent. Understandable to update technology but pushing out good employees is just not right.

Jun 12, 2018 – Director, IT Management

Our IT teams continue to drive transformation as we modernize our technology to meet the needs of our customer. If any restructuring decisions are necessary, please know that we consider all options... More

8. "Senior Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, great benefits and easy to use pto. Premera does seem to have a great outlook on wanting to be customer centric and help people.

Cons

Management changes the metric requirements too much. It's never consistent in what they want. Your call time is too low, then it's too high, then it's too low again. Middle management micromanages way too much and doesn't let their team just do their job. When upper management gets involved, it starts off like they are going to be helpful but nothing ever changes, and the ball gets dropped a lot on the csr's. During the interview process they reel you in with promises for growth and opportunity, but that seems to only exist in the main office by Seattle. If you are in Spokane, opportunity is pretty no existant.

Advice to Management

Actually live Premera's values, especially the Let's Be Clear value. Nothing is clear, and it shouldn't take a miracle to relay correct and timely information to your subordinates.

"Power struggles among senior leaders"

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Good location for those who live in north Seattle or Snohomish County.
    Good place to learn about healthcare industry.
    Decent benefits.
    Free parking.
    Good work/life balance.

Cons

Senior leaders battle over turf. Lots of favoritism in promotions.
    Male dominated senior leadership. Old-school, authoritarian thinking.
    Always behind in technology.
    Mountlake Terrace campus is in the middle of a wetland, in the middle of suburbia, and isolated from the innovation and exchange of ideas and best practices that proximity to leading-edge businesses could bring.

Advice to Management

Actions speak louder than words. Executives need to truly live the Premera values. From there, the path to becoming a destination employer will become clear.

"Pick a direction and leaders who can get you there."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy commute, good benefits, competitive wages. Plenty of opportunity to make a difference and do great work.

Cons

Great work isn't valued, and expectations shift in the sand. Highly reactive and punitive culture, and true leadership is rare. Priorities and direction are always changing, and too few managers are able to lead teams in strategy and execution.

Advice to Management

Hire and retain high-quality managers and leaders, and give them the tools and support to build teams and get things done. Follow through on corporate goals with clear vision and give everyone an equal opportunity to contribute to success.