Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Jeff Roe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Flexibility, Work Life Balance, Advancement" (in 16 reviews)

• "Middle management can be micromanagers and not great leaders, but the upper management is excellent" (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Customer Service-Providers-National Accounts"

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed the positive family culture at Premera. Every day that I worked there, I knew I was a part of a team that truly valued our clients and our relationships with each other. Premera has a strong family culture and constantly strives to improve their customer support, making the patient first priority with every new initiative.

Cons

Premera is strongly encouraging representatives to refer clients to online resources so that they could decrease call volume and increase customer comfort with online materials. While this is great for the company, it led to a lot of fear within our department about job security and longevity. Other departments had conducted large-scale lay offs within the same period.

Mar 8, 2018 – Vice President, Customer Service

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. It sounds like you and your team truly embraced our purpose of improving customers’ lives by making healthcare work better. As you mention, taking great... More

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall company atmosphere and moral are great! Under the new leadership of Jeff Roe the company has clear guidelines and is communicating with all employee levels. Pay is competitive, benefits including pension, 401k match, time off are all competitive with other companies in the area. Growth is really fed within the organization.

Cons

Some areas of the company have a higher level of expectation which can cause low morale.

Advice to Management

Keep working on making Premera a destination employer, communicating with all employees and focusing on employees success stories and how they make our member's lives better.

May 23, 2018 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your comments. Regarding communications, we are continuing our focus on improving communications and appreciate your suggestions. And I agree - Premera is a great place to work... More

3. "Great Company"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

The company is very customer focused and the benefits are great

Cons

It can be difficult to get new innovative ideas out there

4. "OK"

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Pay and compensations are good.

Cons

Management is terrible. Too many turnovers.

"Good compensation couldn't keep me there."

Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Developer in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation package: salary, 401(k), bonus, pension.

Cons

Mid-management allowed seriously hostile work environment to the detriment of several teams and individuals even when HR was notified. Saw this in multiple departments, not just my own. But mid-management had it tough from above them too. Not a good work environment.

"Senior customer service representative"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home capability, however $40.00 a month stipend when my phone and internet bill is $150 per month with no cable. also has never increased even though my bills do every year.

Cons

High stress, very unhealthy job. This position requires you to sit at a desk tied to a head set your entire shift. There is not only stress from customers yelling at you all day but also from the rediculous standards management expects from you. They time your bathroom breaks and expect you to work projects but won't allow you off the phone time to complete tasks. The passport to perks is becoming a joke, this year it gave me a $1.00 discount on silverwood tickets and the passport to perks app keeps closing out, so that $1.00 in savings cost me more than a half hour dealing with the app. The perks/rewards when I started were ten times better than they are now. High turn over of employees

Advice to Management

Make your employees feel valued. Instead of continuing to reduce our benefits, increase them. Kiazer reps start at 47,000 a year, I have been a loyal employee for five years and I don't make that. This position is extremely unhealthy, big 5 starting at 46,000 and is a much more active and healthy option. This is the most unhealthy position, high stress position and the pay and benefits do not compensate accordingly. Find ways to help your employees to be healthy and happy and allow them the off phone time needed to participate in these benefits. This would reduce the high turn over reducing the cost in traning new employees.

Sep 19, 2018 – Vice President, Customer Service

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Our employees contribute to making Premera a great place to work. We aspire to create an environment where they can bring their best every day. I’m sorry to... More

"senior applications developer"

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

easy commute, free parking, employee appreciation events

Cons

unhelpful coworkers; management makes decisions based on trends, not data .
    does not invest in training for IT employees. difficult to expand your skill set.

Advice to Management

manage DOWN; not UP. Develop a better BS meter.

8. "Software Engineer Internship"

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Culture Work-Life Balance People Campus activities Mentorship available

Cons

Location Not tech focused Disorganized Compensation Parking

"Great Values/Poor Leadership"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Great work life balance, Progressive Culture, Strong Purpose & Values

Cons

Poor leadership, HR does not advocate for employee's , they protect middle management. As a result, they hinder employee growth which limits innovation. Department org does not make sense. (ie, managers "leading" teams without actual experience in that role)

Advice to Management

Develop stronger TL's and Managers. Executive Leadership promotes great values and a strong sense of purpose but the company strongly lacks leaders who drive for excellence & can execute those values and purpose, instead middle management appears to be made up of micromanagers who use manipulation & scare tactics to "lead" their teams.

Sep 18, 2018 – Director, Employee Experience

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I agree, Premera has a strong purpose and culture. While it’s disappointing to hear your opinion about management, we’d like the opportunity to... More

"Not the Premera it use to be"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Has allowed growing opportunities, have some good colleagues.

Cons

There is a feeling of major change but no time to learn the skills they now require.

Sep 18, 2018 – Director, Employee Experience

Thank you for your comments. Your feedback and experience is important to us. Please consider speaking with your leader or Human Resources contact to discuss your feedback and continued development... More