Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Roe

Pros
  • very supportive of work-life balance (in 68 reviews)

• They have good benefits including a pension (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Glad to be part of the change!!!"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It’s a good place to be if you want to be part of an organization going through a lot of needed change and you want to help with that change. We have a lot of new leaders and new employees bringing good ideas and challenging the status quo. We have new values that we are trying to live, more clarity on communications and a new focus on how we can improve customers’ lives by making healthcare work better. Pay is competitive and benefits are really good, including a 401K and we still have a pension. We even have more employee forums where we are able to share our thoughts.

Cons

Like most companies, we still have our issues too. Yes, we have leadership and employee issues in pockets of the company that are slower to adapt to the change making it difficult for some of us that want change. It is a burden on some of us as we need to pick up the extra work, but we are seeing more being done about it to address these concerns. We don’t always know if we are heard as communication is not always the best, but we know they are trying.

Advice to Management

I think we are going in the right direction and that our leadership teams are doing a good job. There are opportunities for better leadership training and better communication throughout the company. Many of us are still trying to understand where we are going as a company so help us do that.

"CALL CENTER CSR"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Coworkers, PAID TIME OFF!

Cons

None at this time! This company is great to work for!

"3 months in...a Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+Collaboration. It's rare to find a company this size that is willing to collaborate--not only in a functional area, but across functions as well.
    +Titles do not get in the way of doing your job.
    +The campus is pretty cool and the food service is surprisingly good.
    +"Premera Nice" is a real thing.
    +Recruiting was phenomenal.
    +Easy commute from Kirkland/Bothell area

Cons

-Pay is a little lower than market value
    -I get the sense that employees are "under titled".

Advice to Management

Continue on the path of hiring new people outside of healthcare. It brings new ideas and new thinking. This company is big enough to do some damage, but small enough to out-maneuver the big players. Play this card.

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Account Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Account Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people. Both the bosses and my fellow colleagues are great. The company has a campus in w Wa and E Wa. Most jobs can become work from home after you train and show you get it.

Cons

The job in customer service is challenging but worthwhile. You talk to lots of people as with any customer service job you have callers who are upset and you help turn them around by resolving the issue or explain the why. Premera gives you great tools to work with.

"Great People, Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Company really cares about the people they serve and making heath care affordable and finding quality.

Cons

Could offer more vacation and PTO time

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent about the ever-changing market place.

"Style over substance"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The coworkers are wonderful. If you only had to deal with your peers, this would be a good place to work.
    - Management is starting to look at how to improve trust and overall culture, but the changes are slow in coming with little evidence of completion

Cons

- Date over quality driven (dates to meet executive bonus goals are emphasized over delivering a quality solution)
    - Management wants to look good rather than emphasize good work
    - Employees are reminded regularly that this is an "at will" company (emphasizing that we should be grateful for our jobs)
    - More money is spent on developing brand image than on most operational team salaries
    - Trust is low above your peers
    - Problems are met with buzzwords and catchphrases rather than solutions
    - Issues/problems are not raised (or are whitewashed) because it would be contrary to our image

Advice to Management

Live the words. If you are letting people go because we are under a budget crunch, don't spend money recklessly on "pet" programs. Look to the employees and their well-being as much as you look at your own reputation. If an employee is well-taken care of, they will care better for our customers.

"Making a difference"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the constantly changing IT environment, it can be difficult to find purpose for coding a new widget or managing a small team of unique individuals to build another server. At Premera, I can directly associate the work that I do to the end customer of the product. I like working for a not-for-profit company, that really has its client's best interests at the center of what they do. Health Insurance is a money game. Health Care is a people business, and I believe Premera is in the people business. I'm proud to work here, and always excited about the next big thing we can do to get people the care they need, at a price that is as affordable as possible.

Cons

With massive changes in the HealthCare industry, if you aren't willing to be flexible and come along for the ride, you may feel left behind.

"Not a bad place to work at"

Former Employee - IT Professional in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many people are able to telecommute. They are given the tools to do so effectively. The company VPN is reliable and easy to use.
    At the Mountlake Terrace campus there is on-site food service that is good.
    Premera stresses wellness for employees and provides opportunities to become healthier.

Cons

Managers don't seem to last very long (in IT at least.)

"Great Company, Exciting Time to Be Part of the Industry"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting to be part of a health plan at a time with so much change in the health care industry, and a great opportunity to be part of the positive change Premera is trying to have in this space. Flexible work schedules (working from home, telecommuting, etc.), very supportive of work-life balance. They show a lot of employee appreciation through fun events, rewards, tuition reimbursement programs and annual bonuses based on company performance. They are very supportive of inter-company transfers so there is a lot of opportunity to advance and / or try new things. Premera is also very active in the community with a lot of fundraising events and community service opportunities.

Cons

Because of all the change in the industry right now, there is constant change at Premera. There is uncertainty in the future for health plans right now and that will result in uncertainty around your career here.

"Technical Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Technical in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Technical in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Premera is an excellent company to work for! I have been here over 10 years, Premera goes out of it's way to do the right thing for their members. I have stayed so long because of the integrity of the company. They take care of their members and also take care of the employees!! The benefits are awesome, and the atmosphere and culture of the company make working here very pleasant!

Cons

Some of the lower level managers can be a little micro-managing, and don't do the best job of leading.

Advice to Management

Make more of an effort to gain from the experience of the people doing the work.
    Be a leader, not just a boss.