Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Jeff Roe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Glad to be part of the change!!!"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It’s a good place to be if you want to be part of an organization going through a lot of needed change and you want to help with that change. We have a lot of new leaders and new employees bringing good ideas and challenging the status quo. We have new values that we are trying to live, more clarity on communications and a new focus on how we can improve customers’ lives by making healthcare work better. Pay is competitive and benefits are really good, including a 401K and we still have a pension. We even have more employee forums where we are able to share our thoughts.

Cons

Like most companies, we still have our issues too. Yes, we have leadership and employee issues in pockets of the company that are slower to adapt to the change making it difficult for some of us that want change. It is a burden on some of us as we need to pick up the extra work, but we are seeing more being done about it to address these concerns. We don’t always know if we are heard as communication is not always the best, but we know they are trying.

Advice to Management

I think we are going in the right direction and that our leadership teams are doing a good job. There are opportunities for better leadership training and better communication throughout the company. Many of us are still trying to understand where we are going as a company so help us do that.

May 22, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

We are happy to share that additional employee training (including leadership training) is ongoing.

While we work hard each day to make healthcare work better, financial health is important as... More

2. "Customer Service-Providers-National Accounts"

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed the positive family culture at Premera. Every day that I worked there, I knew I was a part of a team that truly valued our clients and our relationships with each other. Premera has a strong family culture and constantly strives to improve their customer support, making the patient first priority with every new initiative.

Cons

Premera is strongly encouraging representatives to refer clients to online resources so that they could decrease call volume and increase customer comfort with online materials. While this is great for the company, it led to a lot of fear within our department about job security and longevity. Other departments had conducted large-scale lay offs within the same period.

3. "Great place"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Flexibility and great leadership interactions

Cons

Change is a constant occurence and communication not clear.

Advice to Management

Keep relationships and communication flowing

"Dysfunctional IT Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free parking. Good retirement options.

Cons

Health insurance coverage is bad compared to other large employers. They have cafeterias with some good options but it's not cheap. Nothing is free, including the coffee.

IT management doesn't seem to know what they are doing. Basic requests take months and they don't have a service catalog. There is a lot of talk of change but when it's time do the hard work people make excuses and blame others. I have been with the company about 2 years and while some things have improved, it
     has been marginal. Expectations are not made clear, instead they ask for something that takes weeks to put together and they simply say "That is not what I want, do something else".

Advice to Management

IT must recognize that the business is your customer. Shadow IT popping up in various business units is a sign that the IT department is NOT meeting the needs of the business.

Re-scoping large projects to eliminate the hard stuff and then brag about completing it, does not send a good message to the business or to employees.

5. "Reviewer"

Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Spokane, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company pays well and is a good work environment

Cons

I have not found a lot of cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

"Lots of change"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are looking to grow within a company, Premera is a great place to do it.

Cons

You can burn out really fast.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

7. "Amidst change, moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Employee Experience in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Employee Experience in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

The people are by far the best part of working for Premera. Smart, passionate, dedicated to helping people in our community. Working for a not-for-profit means compensation is never going to be top of the market, but it is competitive. The mission and values of the company are known, talked about regularly, and embraced. Free parking, good PTO, and work-life balance. I have enjoyed seeing and hearing from our CEO more regularly.
    I feel good about coming to work here and I'm proud to tell my family and friends.

Cons

Look to modernize and bring benefits into the current times. Continue the culture changes that are being made to bring employees along for the ride. The employee forums are great! Mostly? Make yourselves visible to those in your organizations. It doesn't take much time at all or cost any money. Lead from alongside. We will go far together.

8. "Good Experience"

Pros

Great benefits, friendly atmosphere, good culture, commute/parking

Cons

Workforce is fairly older if you're a recent college graduate.

"Lots of changes (yet again) in Premera IT"

Former Employee - IT Department in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - IT Department in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people makes this a really nice place to work. Pretty decent pay and benefits for outside of the City. No worries about parking... free parking in several lots. On campus cafes in each building with healthy choices.

Cons

Continuous layoffs and reorgs. If shuffled from one dept to another, there is no other option but to either get used to it or leave (or be asked to leave). Seems that nearly every year right before the holidays there are layoffs... to perhaps get the upper management bigger bonuses??

Advice to Management

Management seems to not have a real plan, just continuous reorgs and shuffling people around to see what works. Feels like the IT tail is wagging the dog. Is this an IT company selling healthcare or a healthcare company with an IT dept? It's time to make more sales instead of moving the shells around in the financial statements.... can't squeak much more out of operational expense savings.

Feb 5, 2018 – Director, IT Management

Over the last year, Premera's technology teams have been in a period of transformation, which has required intensive change. I know that can be challenging, but it’s imperative that our teams are... More

"Best place to work"

Former Employee - Communications Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Communications Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Telecommuting A+ room for advancements. Great benefits! Cafe in each building very convenient. There is opportunity for professional growth with running projects and going to business seminars or workshops. Travel in job is fun.

Cons

Place has lots of clicks. You have to part of the popular crowd to get promotions. Managrs and dirrctors are hit and miss. Some are great while others are very disappointing.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing clicks run the show. The most popular isnt always the best fit for job. Recognize your talent or they will leave and do leave.

Jan 31, 2018 – Vice President, Communications

Thank you for your comments. At Premera we strive to have an inclusive environment and want all of our employees to feel comfortable working here.