Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 23, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Roe

Pros
  • Premera is a great place to work if you would like a job where you can provide impact but also have work/life balance (in 65 reviews)

• Good benefits (above avg for area) (in 33 reviews)

Cons

"Pay People What They Are Worth. Pay for Performance is hogwash."

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Snohomish county location. Free parking cafe on site. Nice walking trails during lunch.long working relationship with staff.

Cons

They are currently hiring new customer service representatives at more than $3.00 an hour from where I am currently being paid. I have been with this company for almost 16 years. They say they are trying to attract new talent, but what about the talent they already have? I find it unacceptable they won't take the time to review their current talent. I have been rated a 4 by my Team Leads in all my years. Do they not value my talent? Really frustrated with this current inadequacy. Rumor has it, leave and come back then negotiate your wage. So miffed. What would your members find value you? An experienced person feeling taken care of or a newer employee who spends too much time trying to figure it out?

Advice to Management

Take care of the staff you have. Pay per performance.

Jan 31, 2017 – Vice President, Customer Service

We'd like to encourage you to speak with both your Leader and Human Resources about these concerns. When changes in the marketplace occur, our Leaders partner with Human Resources to ensure alignment ... More

"Damage Control"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was a great job to learn about the issues and politics about the ACA, and health care. It gave me a more informed view when voting, and I was able to help people in my life understand their health insurance more and help those know which questions to ask.

Cons

If you don't quite fit into the corporate scene people are not very to you. There are many young people who haven't had a lot of exposure to a variety of people, and who want very much to get ahead in the company. Some people had an unexpressed jealousy of my education and went out of their way to make me look bad instead of helping me learn things like the computer system and the different policies. When I come spoke up about the specific of how contemptuous backup support was when I asked questions, I faced a lot of gas-lighting. When I asked direct questions or explained how problematic training was, trainers used to report me to management to say that I was being difficult. Really, I was standing up for my right to learn during training. It took months, emotional turmoil, and persistence on my part to help management realized how biased they were and get them to listen to both sides before making judgments. Though ultimately management did listen to me and even agreed with me, there was still a lot of covering up of past mistakes while ostracizing people with valid criticism. This dynamic was made worse by the constant worry of losing one's job and the inadequate pay offered to employees. People were obsessed with approval, so they could establish job security and move up to making more money, instead of doing the right thing. There was a huge fear of making mistakes and therefore were more interested in "looking smart" than in learning from mistakes. This happens when job expectations are unrealistic. As a side note, the job in customer service is very unhealthy. Sitting for 8 hours a day with cake and pizza rolling around created many huge people around the company. I gained 30 pounds in less than a year, all of which simply started melting away the moment I left the company and returned to my original career.

Advice to Management

Update your systems and information tools to be more helpful to your employees. Treat everyone fairly. Enough already with all of the surprise layoffs. Ease up on management, so you can afford to pay your reps enough money to live in King and Snohomish counties. Break up the time reps spend on the phones, and stop shoving carbohydrates and sugar into their mouths to show appreciation.

Jan 31, 2017 – Vice President, Customer Service

It sounds like your time with Premera did not get off to the best start. We appreciate you providing that feedback in real time to ensure everyone involved could improve. Technology is a primary ... More

"Petrified Wood - Hard and needing to change"

Former Employee - IT Senior Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - IT Senior Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

There are a few excellent leaders, new and old, trying to do the right things. Lead by example, try new things, admit/celebrate and learn from their mistakes. The industry is in flux and that makes things hard for all. There are however

Cons

A mindset and culture in flux that continues to protect, move around the chairs and tolerate behaviors that are not health. There is old school leadership, like DY, that's been intrusted and done more things negatively and to so many. Yet, for some unknown reason, these behaviors are tolerated and others are push out, asked to leave or leave due to burnout.

Advice to Management

Continue to make more hard, and not so hard, decisions, closer to the top. Continue to be frank and share information. It's ok to admit what you don't know, but include plans to find out

Feb 7, 2017 – Director, IT Management

We appreciate your honest and candid feedback. Changing our culture takes time. However, we will continue to do the right things and lead by example. Your feedback will help us continue to enhance ... More

"Was a great learning experience"

Former Employee - Enrollment Analyst
    Former Employee - Enrollment Analyst

Pros

Location, and good benefits, nice perks

Cons

No structure. Going to management with concerns and nothing is done. Employees being frustrated and PBC doesn't seem to care

Advice to Management

When employees address concerns to you I think it's a good idea to listen to them and act accordingly and work with HR

Dec 27, 2016 – Vice President, Membership and Billing

Thank you for your feedback. While we wish that you had a better experience during your time with Premera, employee feedback is important in making us better in the future. Thank you for helping us ... More

"used to be a great place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

People were wonderful and easy to work with. Great benefits and great balance

Cons

Used to be great until the new CEO. promises to make it better but only thing that got better was the buddy network. they seem to place people in position based on popularity verses skill or experience. When pointed out they target those people and get rid of them on junk. Also hear a lot of those with tenure are being let go. Seems very similar to the way another organization was ran before it was sold off by the CEO.

Advice to Management

Wake up the buddy system never works when skill and experience are needed. The customer wants results not excuses or the run around.

"A Culture of Fear"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Supports all expressions of individualism, equal rights, equal opportunity, fair wages, and better than average benefits.

Cons

CEO Jeff Roe has implemented a reorganization campaign that has eliminated the Oregon office, eliminated 300+ positions through attrition, lay-offs, and early retirement packages over the past year. He says it was to eliminate waste that customers wouldn't support and can't afford. Last week he created by promotion and outside hiring 4 Executive positions with salaries at or near seven figures.

Premera was once a company with a culture of unity. Departments have been downsized in the past through the same methods -- the difference is that there was forewarning and transparency around the process. "This team will transition to this function." or "This team will be eliminated because of this event - we will try to absorb their positions into other teams and their last day will be . . . " Today, Premera is a company with a culture of fear. Departments and positions are pink-slipped midweek and great employees are packed up and shown to the door by security -- quietly, secretly, to "protect their privacy."

HR was for the employee and cared about building corporate culture and our reputation as a great place to work. Premera used to brag to new hires about the longevity of our employees and their long careers -- celebrating anniversaries with the verve of birthdays. Now our leadership tells us directly, "We make no promises. We will see what tomorrow brings."

Advice to Management

Remember that the "customer" is also every single employee -- and that we carry by word of mouth our experience as customers outside of Premera. When fear is your legacy that message goes further than your service.

"Morale at an all-time low"

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Somewhat flexible work schedule
    Nice campus
    Commute
    Great co-workers who care about the job they do

Cons

Poor communication to associates on many topics
    Major layoffs for associates and promotions/raises for executive leadership
    Morale at an all-time low
    Zero job security
    Extremely top heavy management
    Associates used to have so much pride in working at Premera. There has been so much negative press about Premera in the last year that people don't have that same pride any longer.

Advice to Management

Improve communication to your associates. Take a look at the long-term effect on employees you still have regarding poor morale issues and the message you are sending with so many layoffs yet executives get raises and promotions!

"Layoffs for associates. Promotions for Executive Leadership"

Current Employee - Operations in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Premera has some of the hardest working people who care deeply about providing world class service.

Cons

Jeff Rowe, our CEO has touted transparency. However, a culture where transparency had once thrived under our former CEO has now turned into a culture where people are afraid and avoid transparency. Layoffs continue to take place throughout the company; except for upper management. Instead Premera is hiring more upper management positions while at the same time promoting executives. This will be Mr. Rowe’s legacy: Layoffs, outsourcing, and paying high executive salaries while layoffs take place. No longer the great place it once was.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like you expect us to treat the customers.

"Unfortunately this company has taken a turn for the worst."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The worker bees.... but with the dramatic change in the culture, even this has lost value as people are fearful of what is yet to come.

Cons

Everything. Premera has nothing to offer as they do not value their people and they certainly do not live up to their so called values.

Advice to Management

Wake up and do something to attract and retain what you have left, otherwise the joke will be on you. Premera used to be a great place, but trust and loyalty go both ways.

"Worst place I've ever worked"

Former Contractor - Web UI Developer in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Contractor - Web UI Developer in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The campus is pleasant and the cafeteria food is marginally acceptable

Cons

Meetings every day 7-8 hours a day on a rather trivial project. Frequent problems with builds due to completely unmanageable configuration problems. Any time anyone in any group makes a configuration change, they don't work for anyone else and can take days to fix.

It is a whole bunch of warring silos. Everybody is astonishingly lazy, won't lift a finger to make anything work even if it is writing a few lines of SQL to get the data you need. On the 30th day of my short stay there, we will still arguing in endless meetings about the same issues that we were discussing on day one.

They expect you to pay attention at the astonishingly boring time consuming meetings.

Advice to Management

Fire all of the management and bring in a software consulting firm that actually understands software to create a completely new code base. The existing infrastructure is so broken, you need to start over.