Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 2, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Roe

Pros
  • Premera is a great place to work if you would like a job where you can provide impact but also have work/life balance (in 64 reviews)

• Good benefits (above avg for area) (in 33 reviews)

Cons

"Senior customer service representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits: medical, dental, 401k...

Cons

Shift bids when they feel like it not quarterly like they say. Unclear expectations and poor career development. No support from management when dealing with hostile members. Unclear company values they use them as they see fit to there needs not for what they really mean. No way to keep track of personal performance.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the ambiguity and practice what you preach. You have to learn that your first customer is your employee to understand what good customer service is. Get back to the values that you once had.

"A cut too deep"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally collaborative coworkers with shared interest (passion for a few) in making healthcare better. Nice campus. Reverse commute for many. Average (not bad, not great) corporate benefits.

Cons

The layoffs of 2015-2016 decimated some functions. Marketing is a shell of its former self, and the folks left behind are overwhelmed. Per management is trying to turn the bottom line back to black, and it SHOWS in terms of ridiculously high work loads for most employees. The company's web technology is a full decade behind the times, and despite heroic efforts and infusion of new leadership, it still seems light years away from deli bring what insurance customers demand now.

Advice to Management

You overreached on the RIF. You are seeing a talent flight as a result. Do something about it.
    Jeff preaches that change comes from the bottom up, but there is no corporate area specifically responsible and empowered to take ideas from the Gemba and make them happen. Some of your top execs pretend to understand how the Gemba should drive improvement, but they do not. Your operations leadership has had FOUR years to deliver top quality customer service during open enrollment and yet here we are still with 2 hour wait times. This demolishes whatever brand equity you are building through admirable work elsewhere.

Feb 8, 2017 – Director, Marketing

This is a time of great change within healthcare and for Premera Blue Cross. We are listening closely to our customers and employees to make changes that ultimately improve the experience for all our ... More

"QA Lead"

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

good parking and security. good people to work with. annual bonus.

Cons

chaotic and stressful work environment. unclear direction. not enough IT employees for the work to be done. Makes for long hours. Not enough vacation time to keep people fresh.

Feb 7, 2017 – Director, IT Management

Premera's IT organization is growing every day, as we continue to hire talented and creative professionals to join the team and participate in our mission to make healthcare work better. Premera will ... More

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you have a good manager, great place to work. In 11 years there I had 10 managers. Some good, a couple great ones, and a few bad ones.

Cons

They talk about culture but it's undefined. The culture they actually have created is one of fear of losing your job at a moment's notice. They're laying off people in batches so as not to stir up media attention while they are simultaneously hiring new people, replacing experienced well-paid employees with people with little or no experience and saving tons of money by paying entry-level wages. Another con is the uncertainty of the company's future in the current political environment.

Advice to Management

Treat people better. I was laid off - in one day went from a beloved-by-many employee, part of the "family," to "you're dead to us" after we escort you out of the building that was your home-away-from-home for over a decade without even a chance to say goodbye to friends and "family." It was a horrible way to exit someone.

Jan 9, 2017 – Director, HR

Business decisions that affect employees are not made lightly. While challenging to hear that your experience was not what you desired, we appreciate your feedback and many years of service at ... More

"Sr. Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus and great location. If you are coming from the outside, pay is competitive but if you are moving internally and you're moving to a higher position the pay increase is sub-par.

Cons

Company is going through some major changes which have not been handled well. The re-organization in Infrastructure did not have a transition plan which has left that area in dis-array.

Advice to Management

Admit when you are wrong. Change keeps you competitive but you've let people go that were back-bones of the departments. Be more thoughtful and get advice before letting people go.

Jan 9, 2017 – Director, HR

We recognize that change can be difficult. Even change made for the appropriate reason. As Premera evolves there will be many wins and many lessons learned. We encourage employees and leaders to be ... More

"IT SDET"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Mountlake Terrace, WA

Pros

Compensation and Benefits are good

Cons

Poor Management and too stressfule

"I'm in different..."

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits (pension, 401k, medical, dental, life etc.) flexible schedule and easy commute. I actually loved working for Premera and ranted and raved on how such a great company they were, until now.

Cons

Going through another round of what they call layoffs (reclassifying job descriptions and realigning the company once again because it obviously didn't work the first how many times) keeping the new and dumping the old. This has been happening for a very long time now and has everyone feeling more and more like they are walking on egg shells. Management is very top heavy, continuing to hire director and above positions while letting those who actually do the work go. It is very unsettling and frustrating. Customer focus is the key but as a customer myself, I'm unsatisfied.

Advice to Management

Internally we have been asked advice but nothing has changed from the top down other than making people scared for their jobs and not even wanting to voice their opinions because A. You don't listen and B. They could be fired for their opinion amd having the integrity to say what they feel when asked. In a corporate world it is who you know, just like high school....all about popularity and whose bottom you kiss!

Jan 9, 2017 – Director, HR

Premera has seen a great deal of change as we work to respond to a rapidly evolving industry and those changes can be very challenging. The feedback provided by our employees is invaluable. Adjusting ... More

"Dinosaur's of the healthcare industry without desire to change"

Pros

Great people and a comfortable environment. Pay is on the higher scale considering the light workload. Free parking, flexible work schedule, and fun employee events.

Cons

Management is stagnant, ineffective, and promoted based on longevity not skill set. If you stay long enough you will become a manager. Values and culture are promoted on paper, but lived and exemplified by managers - all talk and no action.

Dec 2, 2016 – Human Resources

Premera is an equal opportunity employer that prides itself on a fair and competitive hiring process. While difficult to hear of your experience with our management team was not what you desired, we ... More

"Reactionary Environment"

Former Employee - Information Technology
    Former Employee - Information Technology

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Northside location (if you live north), decent pay and benefits, good people, good work/life balance

Cons

From the constant layoffs and reorganizations to the silo based project mentality, it's a reactionary organization. While the message is focused on changing the company to be more customer focused, all actions seem to be the result of cost cutting. Politics run rampant as senior management and insiders try to protect their areas from cuts.

Advice to Management

Set a strategy, put together a plan, and enlist everyone to drive towards it (not just a select few insiders). Put less focus on senior management and distribute responsibility throughout all levels. If cuts are needed, make them and move on; constant layoffs and reorgs are killing morale.

Feb 7, 2017 – Director, IT Management

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We agree that change can be very difficult, and we are working to better our communication and the sharing of information. Our goal is to ... More

"Decent benefits but company's going through major changes"

Pros

Free parking, decent healthcare benefits

Cons

Location- 30 - 40min North of downtown Seattle
    Going through major organizational changes which creates a lot of uncertainty

Advice to Management

Figure out how to retain good talent and develop employees for more growth; stop the old cronyism mentality

Sep 21, 2016 – Director, HR

Our location in Mountlake Terrace, WA provides benefits such as a beautiful campus, free parking, and a central location for the Greater Seattle area. With change brings great opportunity to become a ... More