Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

Premera Blue Cross Reviews

Updated April 23, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Roe

Pros
  • very supportive of work-life balance (in 71 reviews)

• They have good benefits including a pension (in 34 reviews)

Cons

"Decent place to work in health insurance"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good work-life balance. Started focusing more on customers than ever. Started appreciating employees more frequent.

Cons

tangled with legacy systems and hard to bring any valuable change sooner for customers.

Advice to Management

Lure more talented folks to join.

"Stop talking and do the right thing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I believe the employees at Premera really do care. We care for the customer, we care for our co-workers and most of us really do want to improve lives by making healthcare work better. And that is what keeps most of us coming back. The people, the purpose.

Cons

We try. We are told we are empowered, that we have a voice. But do we really? At first I thought so and I really did feel empowered to help transform the company and culture. But the longer I am here, the longer I feel like I am only listened to when I agree with upper management. Diversity of thought is openingly welcomed, but like that annoying friend on Facebook who posts how awesome her life is only to get a divorce, it is all superficial.

Upper management talks a big talk, but I don't think they really want to change. They feel they are already right.

I truly do like it here and want to stay so I hope things change.

Advice to Management

You are not always right. Your ideas are not always the best. You hire employees who live our purpose and values so let them. Quit talking about it, quit asking for opinions because you think that is what will empower employees and drive culture change. If you don't really want to change and transform that is okay, just be honest and tell us you know what is right. Because pretty soon unless you want Premera to turn into a submissive culture of Stepford Wives, we will soon know you are not listening and we will go to other employers where our opinions are valued and we get to put our ideas and thoughts to work.

May 22, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

What makes Premera a great place to work is the people who live and breath our values each day. You're absolutely right, Premera employees care about the customer and their co-workers. As an ... More

"Big Pros and big cons"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I rated Premera a 3 on 5 scale. However that 3 is the average of some really great pros and some really bad cons. On the pro side, Premera tends to value work life balance. I rarely work more than 40h/week and management is usually good at not overloading you with work and respect your life. Premera also has great health benefits and essentially no out of pocket contributions to your monthly premiums. The campus is great and if you work north of Seattle and hate your current commute to downtown, Premera is a great solutions. The company is also in the middle of a revolution that puts customer front and center. That's exciting and interesting but that's where the pain points come into place (see cons section).

Cons

While Premera leadership has subscribed to the new "member centered" mentality and Amazon-like "customer obsession", that vision doesn't naturally translate to a layer of old fashioned directors, and middle management. These people have done the same thing for 20+ years and are mostly in "retirement" mode, and have no real incentives to change. From a technological perspective all the legacy systems prevent adoption of technology driven personalization of member experience. The website is one of the worst out there, and most vendors Premera has historically worked with have created complex and inflexible solutions that prevent progress. The legal department is still so paranoid about everything that "no" is the default answer to innovation.

Advice to Management

Sometimes fresh blood is the only way to drive change. Get rid of people who cannot (or do not want to) adapt and replace with thought leaders from other industries. Start thinking about Premera as a technology company that sells insurance instead of an insurance company with an IT department.

"SR CSR"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people we work with are amazing, good perks like working from home. Company perks like gift cards. Wellness program incentives.

Cons

High stress with unrealistic stats expectations, even if it is something like a system issue that is out of your control it still negatively impacts your stats, Which does not reflect the culture and values they are preaching. Micro management, and high stress environments can some times lead to short tempers. Certain locations have significantly more growth opportunities than others. Also each year the amount company contributes to benefits decreases, soon we will be on a high deductible health plan with no employer contribution. Amount they contribute to 401k, and wellness program incentives have decreased and become more difficult to manage.

Advice to Management

If you want to maintain knowledgeable staff, that represent your company and provide your members with exceptional service, you need to keep them happy.

May 18, 2017 – Vice President, Customer Service

Thank you for taking the time to provide your insight. As an organization we are always looking for ways to provide quality care at an affordable rate, while also being stewards of the costs ... More

"Great company"

Current Employee - Operations in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Operations in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers to work with.

Cons

Create a better employee appreciation program.

Advice to Management

Try to retain good employees, be transparent.

Mar 23, 2017 – Vice President, Operations

Great news! Just this week we have rolled out a peer recognition program to allow all employees to show their appreciation for one another. Events are also taking place at the end of this month to ... More

"Technology"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Close to home, great parking (as long as you get there early), nice lunchrooms, 401K, nice people in the trenches.

Cons

Questionable management. Worked for a VP that was having an affair with my peer. Instead of firing the boss for conflict of interest, I was asked to step down. Too much minutia with all the 8am meetings to search for the guilty after being up all night fixing problems.

Advice to Management

Consider the value of your workers. Speak up and back your employees

8. "COB /claims processor"

Former Employee - COB Claims Processor in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - COB Claims Processor in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and the ability to work from home (in some positions ) worked at premera for 10 years and overall loved my job and co-workers great benefits

Cons

Depending on who your team lead is policy's seem to differ and are often times unclear. Lots of layoffs lately of dedicated employees who had been their for years

Advice to Management

Keep communication open

Jan 31, 2017 – Vice President, Claims

Leaders work to collaborate to ensure consistency in a world of gray. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with Premera and would like to thank you for your hard work.

"Benevolent Dinosaur"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commute from Seattle is against traffic, my morning drive was 20 min and my trip home to Capitol Hill was 50 min.

Telecommuting is encouraged after 6 months "meeting metrics".

Company has obvious commitment to giving the impression of being a customer-focused company.

Big believer in Toyota/LEAN processes, many cushy make-work positions in the dedicated KAIZEN Improvement Office (aka the wastefully bureaucratic institution in charge of cutting waste).

Cons

Really bad, shockingly poor, pre-Windows 3.1 proprietary software. Training at Premera is twice as long as at an equivalent company because most of traing is spent learning the DOS-based software suite. (Someone once told me it is a re-purposed Real Estate platform that we bought cheap, I believe this 100%.)

Massive blue chip dinosaur. Things are done The Way Things Are Done Around Here. An example would be Department A being told Department B absolutely requires Julian dating on a report, so shut up and go look up the Julian date. Department B does not use Julian dating, but is told Department A can only send report using Julian dating, shut up and go reverse look-up the Julian. Many little things like that, but they sure add up.

Advice to Management

Here's a thought exercise:

Our metrics indicate we are giving good customer service.

Calling someone back takes time away from being Available (aka logged in and idle), which is an important metric.

Therefor: Not calling someone back = good service.

Jan 31, 2017 – Vice President, Customer Service

We are sorry to hear your time with Premera was not what you had hoped. Technology is a prime focus for Premera and we recognize the importance of good tools and resources in order for our employees ... More

"Better than average"

Former Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly a good company. Standard benefits, and the pay is OK although it lags the market a bit. The work culture is relaxed in most departments; the dress code is casual. Although the company does little to encourage professional development, internal transfers are easy.

Cons

Senior management has too many vice presidents. They seem to lack direction, and they don't communicate with staff effectively. Instead of taking responsibility for failure they pretend it didn't happen. Raises are minimal, so negotiate a high starting pay.

Advice to Management

Don't lie. Touting vaporware accomplishments on all-employee phone calls is not inspiring. Hold your directors accountable for accomplishing specific goals. Release of information by gossip is a sub-par communication plan, and does not contribute to a stable work environment.

Feb 7, 2017 – Director, IT Management

Thank for taking the time to provide honest feedback. Sharing information about the organizations direction is a top priority. Premera will continue to explore different ways to communicate our ... More

"IT Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good location. Flexible hours. Free parking. Good co-workers.

Cons

No trust in management. Said all the right things but rarely followed through. Mediocre benefits for a high tech company.

Advice to Management

They don't listen anyway.

Feb 7, 2017 – Director, IT Management

While challenging to hear that your experience with leadership was not what you'd hoped, we want to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are always looking for opportunities to ... More