Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 28, 2017

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Roe

Pros
  • Premera is a great place to work if you would like a job where you can provide impact but also have work/life balance (in 65 reviews)

• Good benefits (above avg for area) (in 33 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Healthcare transformation"

Pros

Healthcare and health insurance are in the midst of massive changes. This means exciting opportunities for reinvention and an appetite for new ways of thinking. Great people to work with and work-life balance. Free parking (which you'll appreciate if you're used to working in downtown Seattle or Bellevue) and food services on site.

Cons

Anytime an organization goes through disruption to old ways of doing business, it puts some stress on employees. Some people are resistant to change and others are unhappy with the way leadership implemented restructuring. Corporate structure makes some things move too slowly.

Advice to Management

Keep providing opportunities to break down silos and collaborate across the company. Emphasize communication to help changes go more smoothly and ensure employees buy in.

Aug 12, 2016 – Director, HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. You hit on some important messages. Change can be very difficult and we are working to continue communication and the sharing of ... More

2. "EDI SPECIALIST 2"

Former Employee - EDI SPECIALIST II in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - EDI SPECIALIST II in Spokane, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits including pension, comfortable atmosphere, great coworkers, clear corporate values, great individual training and career enhancement tools

Cons

If you are not at the corporate headquarters, your chances of growth are very limited. There is an inexcusable preference for people at the corporate headquarters over more experienced personnel at other company locations.

Advice to Management

Do not limit management opportunities only to those who work at, or will move to MLT. The company has the resources to make video conferencing readily available along with the ability to fly people to MLT on an as needed basis.

3. "Overall a good experience. Sometimes challenging working interdepatmentally"

Current Employee - Case Manager
    Current Employee - Case Manager

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great health benefits! Allows telecommuting. Competitive salary. Nice campus. Opportunities to learn and develop. Industry leader. Communicates well their strategic plan.

Cons

Slow to change. Slow to adopt new technology. Some of their customer facing web tools are pretty bad. Not industry leading in Net Promoter score.

Advice to Management

Adopt new technology quickly to keep pace.

Mar 15, 2017 – Director, Clinical Programs Management

Premera's focus on listening to our customers and employees is continuous. We use this valuable feedback to make changes that ultimately improve the experience for all our customers. We recognize how ... More

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly bosses and management staff, onsite cafeteria, telecommuting options

Cons

I had to move or I would still be there

Advice to Management

Thanks - great management

Feb 8, 2017 – Director, Clinical Programs Management

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with Premera. We couldn't agree with your comments more, our Leaders and employees are the best around.

"Good Pay Management Little Disjointed"

Former Employee - Manager of Communications & Marketing in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is good to great. Benefits are really good. Great health insurance and yearly bonus if you meet goals and you usually meet the goals. People you work with are great and typically want you to succeed.

Cons

Project management and manager support is sometimes lacking with competing agendas. most people care more about their goals and what they are working on rather than your project. Hard to get buy in sometimes and the project is not always efficient or effective with implementation. When a request for proposal comes in especially for large company it's all hands in and any project you are currently working on gets put on hold. This can be very difficult if you have momentum on a big project and timelines are pushed back. Manager talent is very hit and miss then tend to promote within and it is a popularity contest not who deserves the job. I got lucky and had a great boss that everyone wanted but that is not the case with other managers.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people more when they are overwhelmed and have too many projects. Support them more visible and help others see the value in your work. Communications from top down is lacking. Sometimes staff need help pushing projects forward as others are working on their own projects.

Jan 24, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. With valuable input from many sources – most notably the 2016 employee survey, all-employee calls and the recently launched employee forums – we keep pushing to ... More

7. "Premera is finally figuring out who they want to be"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Respectful and incredibly nice business culture with opportunity to move around different areas of the company. Healthy habits promoted with incentives tied to tracking fitness activities. A lot of people work out at lunch, go running on the Inter Urban trail + Cross Fit does programs on campus during summer months. Work life balance is respected at all levels of management- with very few people working (at least on campus) outside designated business hours. Health benefits are very generous as you would expect working in the industry- and its very affordable to cover your whole family.

Cons

Working in the suburbs can be kind of a drag if you're a city person. There's really no good restaurants nearby and the cafeteria food on campus is not great (it used to be - but food vendors changed and it's now only so-so.) The work itself can happen slowly which can be frustrating to those moving from other industries- especially high tech. Because the business is regulated and subject to public policy (federal, states, + insurance commissioners) you need to be flexible in approach and thinking.

Advice to Management

Continue to modernize the culture, including work space, and flexible schedules. Great work doesn't need to happen in a cubicle. Find ways for people to connect themselves and their work to the mission.

Jan 9, 2017 – Director, HR

Thank you for your response. We are proud of the healthy and active lifestyle that is encouraged on our campuses and are pleased you see the importance too. Our culture continues to evolve as more ... More

8. "Growth opportunities"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities throughout departments

Cons

Nothing available at this time

9. "Good Place to work"

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Good work life balance.

Cons

Not many growth opportunities.
    No telecommute option.

Jan 9, 2017 – Director, HR

Work-life balance is incredibly important. Telecommute opportunities are available, but vary across the organization based on the needs of the team.

"Change for the better?"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross (More than 8 years)

Pros

Location is great if you want to avoid a Seattle commute. They also have wonderful onsite employee wellness programs.

Cons

Premera is going through alot of change, with many layoffs, unfortunately this has made the working environment very tense.

Jan 18, 2017 – Sales Director, Mid Market

Avoiding the Seattle commute is something many are grateful for, especially on a rainy morning! As we work to respond to a rapidly changing industry, Premera has also seen a great deal of change ... More

11. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee satisfaction was high, moral is kept healthy. They want to improve, and they do, from the inside, to be efficient and effective in a sensitive market. Many of the upper employees are former CSR's, so they know the pain.

Being able to help people, both in the call center, and out in the real world. There are times I helped people build spreadsheets to organize their medical messes. I loved working with the public.

Cons

Mean people, on the outside, whom you're trying to help.

Red tape. Changes can't happen on a whim, though they really could be, if planned for.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on!

Dec 29, 2016 – Vice President, Customer Service

As a Customer Service Representative, you have the opportunity to help countless people and impact healthcare for the better. We thank you for identifying with the customer and going out of your way ... More