Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 11, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Roe

Pros
  • very supportive of work-life balance (in 68 reviews)

• They have good benefits including a pension (in 34 reviews)

Cons

"3 months in...a Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+Collaboration. It's rare to find a company this size that is willing to collaborate--not only in a functional area, but across functions as well.
    +Titles do not get in the way of doing your job.
    +The campus is pretty cool and the food service is surprisingly good.
    +"Premera Nice" is a real thing.
    +Recruiting was phenomenal.
    +Easy commute from Kirkland/Bothell area

Cons

-Pay is a little lower than market value
    -I get the sense that employees are "under titled".

Advice to Management

Continue on the path of hiring new people outside of healthcare. It brings new ideas and new thinking. This company is big enough to do some damage, but small enough to out-maneuver the big players. Play this card.

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Account Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Account Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people. Both the bosses and my fellow colleagues are great. The company has a campus in w Wa and E Wa. Most jobs can become work from home after you train and show you get it.

Cons

The job in customer service is challenging but worthwhile. You talk to lots of people as with any customer service job you have callers who are upset and you help turn them around by resolving the issue or explain the why. Premera gives you great tools to work with.

"Great People, Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Company really cares about the people they serve and making heath care affordable and finding quality.

Cons

Could offer more vacation and PTO time

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent about the ever-changing market place.

"Great Company, Exciting Time to Be Part of the Industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting to be part of a health plan at a time with so much change in the health care industry, and a great opportunity to be part of the positive change Premera is trying to have in this space. Flexible work schedules (working from home, telecommuting, etc.), very supportive of work-life balance. They show a lot of employee appreciation through fun events, rewards, tuition reimbursement programs and annual bonuses based on company performance. They are very supportive of inter-company transfers so there is a lot of opportunity to advance and / or try new things. Premera is also very active in the community with a lot of fundraising events and community service opportunities.

Cons

Because of all the change in the industry right now, there is constant change at Premera. There is uncertainty in the future for health plans right now and that will result in uncertainty around your career here.

"Technical Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Technical in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Technical in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Premera is an excellent company to work for! I have been here over 10 years, Premera goes out of it's way to do the right thing for their members. I have stayed so long because of the integrity of the company. They take care of their members and also take care of the employees!! The benefits are awesome, and the atmosphere and culture of the company make working here very pleasant!

Cons

Some of the lower level managers can be a little micro-managing, and don't do the best job of leading.

Advice to Management

Make more of an effort to gain from the experience of the people doing the work.
    Be a leader, not just a boss.

"Making a difference"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the constantly changing IT environment, it can be difficult to find purpose for coding a new widget or managing a small team of unique individuals to build another server. At Premera, I can directly associate the work that I do to the end customer of the product. I like working for a not-for-profit company, that really has its client's best interests at the center of what they do. Health Insurance is a money game. Health Care is a people business, and I believe Premera is in the people business. I'm proud to work here, and always excited about the next big thing we can do to get people the care they need, at a price that is as affordable as possible.

Cons

With massive changes in the HealthCare industry, if you aren't willing to be flexible and come along for the ride, you may feel left behind.

"Not a bad place to work at"

Former Employee - IT Professional in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many people are able to telecommute. They are given the tools to do so effectively. The company VPN is reliable and easy to use.
    At the Mountlake Terrace campus there is on-site food service that is good.
    Premera stresses wellness for employees and provides opportunities to become healthier.

Cons

Managers don't seem to last very long (in IT at least.)

9. "Surprisingly great culture -- interesting work"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross as a contractor

Pros

The UX team has an incredible culture - team-oriented, focus is on solving the problems that people have when they are trying to use their insurance and what that means for their health and finances, not about egos. Everyone is here because they want to be. I've never worked somewhere where it was a) so challenging during work hours b) so culturally acceptable to leave work at home, to have a life, enjoy your life, etc. Leadership is compassionate, smart and managers are really talented not just at UX and research, but also at managing. The insurance (Premera) is good - low deductible, huge network. Great dental/vision.

Cons

I'm not sure how the pay aligns. The rest of the company can be pretty old school sometimes - this is an old company and old habits and ways of thinking about things die hard. The company is in a transition, so user experience is just starting to become part of how everyone works.

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, easy commute if you living around bothell area, excellent benefits, free parking , good team mates etc.

Cons

Little slow moving as an overall organization, communication gap between upper management and actual working resources, this impacts good n ambitious people.

Advice to Management

Close the gap between the layers. Other than that we have very good and talented people working together

Premera Blue Cross Response

Feb 7, 2017 – Director, IT Management

Thank you for taking the time to provide thoughtful feedback. We continue to take steps to improve communication throughout all levels of the organization. Great work is being done and ensuring ... More

11. "Great Company, great people!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross (More than 3 years)

Pros

Premera was a wonderful work opportunity and work experience. Very work-life balance oriented. Good collaborative working environment.

Cons

None. I would work for Premera again in a heartbeat!

Premera Blue Cross Response

Jan 9, 2017 – Director, HR

Thank you! We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful experience working for Premera. We couldn't agree more, the people and collaborative environment make Premera a great place to work!