Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Roe

Pros
  • very supportive of work-life balance (in 68 reviews)

• They have good benefits including a pension (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Glad to be part of the change!!!"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It’s a good place to be if you want to be part of an organization going through a lot of needed change and you want to help with that change. We have a lot of new leaders and new employees bringing good ideas and challenging the status quo. We have new values that we are trying to live, more clarity on communications and a new focus on how we can improve customers’ lives by making healthcare work better. Pay is competitive and benefits are really good, including a 401K and we still have a pension. We even have more employee forums where we are able to share our thoughts.

Cons

Like most companies, we still have our issues too. Yes, we have leadership and employee issues in pockets of the company that are slower to adapt to the change making it difficult for some of us that want change. It is a burden on some of us as we need to pick up the extra work, but we are seeing more being done about it to address these concerns. We don’t always know if we are heard as communication is not always the best, but we know they are trying.

Advice to Management

I think we are going in the right direction and that our leadership teams are doing a good job. There are opportunities for better leadership training and better communication throughout the company. Many of us are still trying to understand where we are going as a company so help us do that.

"Not a place that promotes or believes in their associates."

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

Pros

Most Associates are have good skills, are hard working, excellent work ethics and want to perform their job for the company's benefit.

Cons

Management is running a fear based environment/organization which is driving out talent. They have not replaced the knowledge base they have lost. This has made a major impacts on remaining staff.
    Senior VP Management and some Directors do not live Premera's mission or vision statement. They do not know how to prioritize LODO work efforts vs. project priorities within the company. They have the same staff on LODO and Projects thus no one has any valid way of knowing the over all pictures of the work efforts/loads which are being asking of their staff or what work is actually more important to complete. They cannot track workloads effectively or successfully.

Advice to Management

They have been given advice and feedback but have chosen to ignore it.

"Bad management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

Pros

Close to home. Landscaping is nice.

Cons

The squeaky wheels get promoted. People who bully are allowed to, and are rewarded for doing so.

Junior management, especially in IT, know how to play slacker. But they look busy and thoughtful when higher management comes around. I've seen this happen way too many times in Premera.

Advice to Management

Look at the people you entrust to manage. For they are usually out only for themselves.

"who cares about customer service reps"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA

Pros

The healthcare benefits, are what is keeping me there, plus the co-workers are great. the commute is a short one.

Cons

With a role in customer service here you are taken for granted , as long as you get the job done that is great but nobody in higher managment knows you or cares to know you . customer service is one of the engines that keeps the car going but are often treated the worst by the members and the employer which can be very exhausting. If you misread your "script" ( its gotten to this where u have to use specific verbage ) then your in trouble, but if you have done a wonderful job on all of the other 99 calls of the day it does not matter in the end the good you do cause the one error is your end. it often feels as if all the good is not recognized but one error is broadcast on the nightly news , so to speak

Advice to Management

hear us ...care about us , treat us as we should be treated .

"Treated LIke Crap"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

Pros

There really are not very many good reasons to work at Premera other than it's a job. So with that said, the best reason, is the flex time.

Cons

You get treated like crap. You are expected to be perfect, which is impossible, we are not God and even robots and their own system make mistakes.

Advice to Management

Lay off a little. Try processing the claims with the standards and goals you lay out for us and see how well you do it with 100% accuracy month after month, year after year. Make one mistake and get lectured about your production and accuracy. Make no mistakes and get no praise whatsoever at all. It's no wonder moral is in the gutter and people are seeking pyschological help for there mental health and stress level.

"RUN away - and look elsewhere!"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

Pros

- Pay is good, but...
    - Location (one of the few employers in the north end)
    - Some very dedicated employees who started their careers are Premera and don't know what opportunities exist outside!

Cons

I could write a book, but I will spare you...
    Responses to the annual Seattle Times survey report on "Best places to work" is RIGGED by management. Managers encourage their staff to fill out the Sea Times survey forms... The problem is that the IT FOLKS don't fill out surveys!!! They don't have time. The results are SKEWED and do not include a representative sample if IT staff. I would love to see an IT only survey!!!

- Complete lack of concern for their employees
    - Lack of guidance from management, management is always fighting fires
    - No place to park - especially for IT staff. Plan on walking a lot in the rain, or waiting on a shuttle bus in the rain. Hopefully it isn't flooding!
    - Budgeting process is extremely messed up and changes day by day
    - Way too many fire drills, everything is urgent!
    - Expect to be available 24x7 - expect to get called in the middle of the night often to chase down your status on the "issue" and be prepared to report out at 8 AM *IN PERSON*
    - they frown upon telecommuting, they want to see you in the office to prove you are actually working. They don't trust you.
    - no ramp up / training time. Expect to run out of the gate and never look back
    - constant Friday emails "left to pursue other opportunities" likely means they were FIRED
    - Benefits SUCK for a family, high co-pays, many things are not covered. Of the companies I have worked for they had worse benefits than I have received elsewhere.
    - No work / life family balance
    - Expect to work weekends and nights and your day job
    - You will likely NOT have a backup, just try to take PTO if you are in a skilled position
    - They try to play with the "big boys", but they lack the tools and management to follow through
    - Most people are living in FEAR hoping they will still have a job tomorrow
    - NO TRAINING - even if you budget for it, you will need to re-justify why you need training over and over
    - None of the managers seemed to care about people
    - 8 AM finger pointing incident management meetings! Not productive!
    - Wasted time on projects that are constantly canceled due to lack of funding, however IT always has a budget surplus. This is simply because IT is EXPECTED to support the business projects and somehow do the IT projects "in the margins".
    - Management doesn't want your advice, they just want your OUTPUT
    - Bottom line is they don't care about you or their "members" AT ALL, they only care about profit. RUN AWAY !!! Look elsewhere!!!

Advice to Management

Get a clue! If you want dedicated employees you need to establish TRUST. Without trust, you will never be able to lead your organization. There are no excuses for the way you treat your staff, most of which are dedicated employees living in fear waiting for their "Friday email" saying they left to pursue "other opportunities" - as they walk out the door with a cardboard box in their hands wondering why they were fired.

You are too focused on advertising to your "members" about how you "care about their health", but not YOUR EMPLOYEES! You advertise all over the place about being a great place to work. I challenge you to see how your IT staff feels compared to the rest of the organization.

Learn about Organizational Change Management, and help people cope with change. You are trying to change too much too fast.

Gubby needs to get off of his personal yacht which is loaded with his high tech gear supported by the Premera IT staff and get a pulse check from his employees. Care for your employees like you CLAIM to care about your members! We all know you don't care about your members or your employees, YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT THE BOTTOM LINE!

"IT workers. Do NOT come here to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

Pros

Good commute. It's a job. It's got healthcare benefits.

Cons

Politics politics politics. Unhealthy culture. Work you to death while telling you they care about your life - they don't really. Some can slack off. Those high achievers are not recognized. Slackers are not dealt with. Senior management too scared to do anything for their employees. Too concerned for their own job. Culture the last 5 years has been as unhealthy as it gets. Culture starts at the top. No longer are employees valued as people. They are just cattle.

Advice to Management

Go away. You're not trusted. We know what you're up to. We'll take the money and when you fire us we'll go somewhere where we're appreciated. All people who leave Premera IT end up in a better place and with a better life.

"Something for Nothing"

Former Employee - Membership Analyst in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Membership Analyst in Mountlake Terrace, WA

Pros

My co-workers and team members were fantastic. There was fairly good training as well. Ability to have Health, Life, D&D insurance fully paid for were good as well.

Cons

The company is very political. Teams within the same department were unwilling to help each other out and supporting departments also were unwilling to go the extra mile if there was a need. Long standing employees (20 plus) were fired without explanation - The company would simply take there stuff away in the middle of the night and pretend like they didn't exist.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better - support healthier lifestyles, don't be so draconian as well. I only saw Mr. Barlow on video and heard him in voicemails in my tenure. I felt like I was living in the book 1984.

"The most dysfunctional IT department I've ever worked in."

Current Employee - IT Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

Pros

Ample free parking - if you got there before 8:30am. The mission statement and philosophy focused on the customer, the people we insured. Many of the people I worked with both on the Business side and in IT - this was not a large segment of the population due to the lack of accountability that is so wide spread there.

Cons

I've been working in IT for twenty years and I've seen a lot but this by far is the most dysfunctional IT Department I've ever worked in. There is NO Leadership with vision and strategy alignment with the business units. The mismanagement in the Leadership ranks is frightening. It appears they all came from failed companies or were shed by downsizing. There are so many former WaMu people there they could rename it WaMu II. Most of the line staff walks around gleefully unaccountable for producing anything, coming in late and leaving early and socializing most of the day away. There are a lot of people riding on the backs of the few that are working hard there. My advice, if you’re in the IT profession, don’t come here.

Advice to Management

Clean house in IT Leadership from the CIO down or just outsource it all. Provide real vision and leadership to the IT masses so they can work up to their real potential and not languish in the backwaters of IT.

"Awful, Just Awful"

Former Employee - Group Administrative Assistant in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Group Administrative Assistant in Mountlake Terrace, WA

Pros

Parking
    Flexible work schedule
    Generous PTO accrual for new employees

Cons

People are NOT held responsible for doing their own work.
    Stuffy corporate culture, that is horribly behind the times.
    Salaries are an utter joke.
    Mediocore management