Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

Premera Blue Cross Reviews

Updated July 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • very supportive of work-life balance (in 73 reviews)

• They have good benefits including a pension (in 34 reviews)

"Why oh why?"

Current Employee - Principal Developer in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Developer in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have to agree with most reviews that work life balance is in general good, the campus is awesome and people are nice.

Cons

Now the sour notes. Actually, let me focus on one recent change just announced internally by HR. This has to do with how the annual incentive plan (MPIP) is awarded. In the past your bonus was awarded as such: 80% based on company goals being met. 20% discretionary based on your manager. That meant that on a good year you'd be guaranteed at least 80% of your bonus regardless of what your manager thought of you. Starting next year 100% will be discretionary based on your manager.
    HR hasn't really communicated well what is driving the change (other than "because we want managers to have more control"... dah). I heard rumors this was driven by the desire of being more "like Amazon and Microsoft".
    Well, guess what? Premera is NOT Amazon or Microsoft. If you read through Glassdoors reviews the one theme that comes up over and over again is Premera's problem with weak/incompetent middle management. And now you're empowering these folks to have full control over your technical staff.
    Let me break this out: Amazon and Microsoft might be giving more power to management, however they have talented, solid people in those roles. And they have well established practices to measure performance, idetify weak links, and replace weak performers. They also have very well established interviewing processes (ever heard about Amazon's "bar raiser"?) that constantly push the company to hire better and better people, especially in key management roles. Premera has nothing like that in place.
    Let's look at this from a risk-benefit perspective. You might end up with managers with more power, but if they cannot use it well, it's going to backfire big times. In a company already at odds with hiring talent, you'll also start loosing people whose performance is not evaluated fairly by managers. I'm not implying anyone is in bad faith. But when you're a manager of a technical team with no technical background, performances can be difficult to evaluate fairly.
    This is far too complex of an approach to management for a company with weak middle management. Hopefully time will prove me wrong but for now I'm holding my breath.

Advice to Management

Realize that most management skills are portable across industries and you need to start paying at "tech" level to hire talent. Invest in hiring top talent in management as your first priority.

"Say What!"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

North-end location, free parking and free coffee on Mondays are awesome. Monthly group huddles to share information is a huge improvement.

Cons

Middle managers are not competent. I can't imagine my compensation will now be levied by my manager who doesn't have the skills to do my job. The digital team already has difficulty retaining and hiring talent and this will drive off those that remain.

Advice to Management

Clean up the management staff before you give them more power to destroy what's left.

"It's been mostly wonderful"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at Premera for almost four years. I love what I do, and I really like the team I am a part of. I enjoy the good medical benefits and appreciate the generous PTO. This is the largest company I have ever worked for, and I appreciate having cafe's to eat in, and even lockers and showers if I choose to bike to work. I am grateful for the work/life balance offered here.

Cons

With all of the lay-offs over the past few years, there is an underlying vibe of fear among many employees. We don't know when the next re-org will happen and how many of us will be taken down with it. It doesn't matter how many times Premera says, "thank you" or provides us with small gifts of appreciation; we are grateful, but still fearful. I'd like to think I could stay and retire from Premera, but next week my job could just... go away. It's a challenge to always do the very best I can, when that fear is in the back of my mind.

Also, while our health insurance benefit levels have remained very good, the cost has gone up dramatically over the past few years. Higher deductibles, lower employer contributions toward deductibles, removing employer contributions for spouses, and lowering the wellness incentive (while making it more challenging to obtain). I'm glad it appears there will not be additional changes for the coming benefit year.

Advice to Management

Provide a path to promotion for every position, (add the availability of a "Sr." or I, II, III for EVERY title). As I become more and more proficient at what I do, I would like to be able to grow in my current position, and not have to go do something else in the company in order to receive a raise in pay grade (pay band).

Jun 15, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

It is great to hear that you find value in the amenities, benefits, and your team at Premera! Even when it’s for all the right reasons, change can be hard. Business decisions, such as... More

"Honest review (my perspective) from a long time employee."

Current Employee - IT Systems Engineer in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - IT Systems Engineer in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked in IT at Premera for a very long time. Premera does offer outstanding work/life balance. All in all I have been treated fairly well in the compensation area. The people are by far the best part of the job. Premera does well in regards to training and there is room for growth - to a point. Myself, I have hit a career path ceiling that I don't see a way to break through.

Cons

IT Management, both mid-level and upper have some issues. They continue to increase workload without adding resources. Obtaining approval for additional head count is like pulling hens teeth - impossible - unless you are one of leaderships golden children. They say they will listen to Associates in this regard but never do. This year they mandated a reduction in the number of high ratings managers could give out. This rating has everything to do with my pay and bonus. Being told that you are no longer a 4, and that working at a very high level no longer qualifies you as a 4 sucks. Especially when they can't tell you how you can improve to become a 4 once again. I now feel very under appreciated and undervalued.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people in the trenches. You have a lot of very intelligent Associates in IT that know what they are talking about. Stop the mandate for lower ratings, a whole lot of valuable - critical people are very unhappy. Unhappy workers don't produce as well as happy ones. Put more emphasis on the associates and the company will reap the rewards. Realize that Management does not always know best and LISTEN to us.

"Slowly Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Ecommerce in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Ecommerce in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free parking, great coworkers and decent health benefits.

Cons

Out of date management practices. New managers hired for sycophant abilities. eCommerce team is devoid of management talent; sucking up is preferred to doing the right thing. Managers have no leadership skills and no two provide the same message. What are the goals and objectives; who knows? IT and Customer Experience managers are at odds. Work-life balance is a thing of the past (except for managers) the expectation is 24 x 7 duty with no reward. Mangers have no idea on how to retain talent so there is constant churn, senior team members are leaving in droves.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk. Pay employees commensurate with the rest of the industry, the work-life balance discount no longer makes sense. Hire some experienced managers.

"Morally Destitute Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross (Less than a year)

Pros

-Call center isn't open 24 hours (for now)
    -They offer dental, vision, and medical insurance

Cons

-They make up reasons to fire people in droves when its slow
    -Actively reprimand people for "helping customers too much"
    -They take advantage of lower income customers by requiring referrals for everything, including URGENT CARE, on their cheapest plans. They don't notify the consumers that their new plan requires referrals until months after they enroll them.
    -The company actively discourages trying to learn things outside of your job description
    -The team leaders gossip about employees to each other, and violate HIPAA about their own employees in doing so.
    -They cut training short and put you on the call center floor weeks before you are supposed to leave the classroom
    -In response to bad reviews online, they asked their employees to leave good reviews about their company creating a HUGE conflict of interest.
    -They give people the training to perform the advanced work after a couple months for another department, and then shortly after the employees are demoted in pay and title while still having them use the skills they were trained in to assist BOTH departments on a regular basis. These demotions aren't performance based, they are based off of work volume according to the bosses.
    -They have outsourced their billing department, and fired the entire American based staff for that department without the option of transferring them.
    -They have systematically fired anybody that suggests improvements for the company, sometimes stating that the reason they are being fired is because they were being too "negative".
    -The only people who thrive in this company very transparently think that helping people is repulsive, and that any hardship experienced as a provider or consumer is entirely their own fault for being "stupid" or "not paying attention".
    -Every month, their is a report that tells everybody exactly how much time you have spent in the bathroom and exactly how much money that has cost the company. What if somebody had a medical condition that resulted in them needing to frequently use the restroom? This is another HIPAA violation.

Advice to Management

You know that scene in the beginning of The Incredibles? The one where the boss fires bob because he helped them, and as a result the customers are "penetrating the bureaucracy" of insura-care? Please try to not be a carbon copy of that boss. It doesn't mesh with your alleged mission of helping people.

Jul 14, 2017 – VP, Customer Service

It is disappointing to hear your time with Premera was not what you had anticipated. What you have shared is not typical and is not aligned with Premera's values. The Customer Service Representatives... More

"BlueCard"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm very new to the company but the training has been amazing, the people are so welcoming, and I feel right at home. So far so good!

Cons

they make you take breaks... is that a bad thing?

Jun 14, 2017 – Vice President, Customer Service

Welcome to the Premera team! We're so glad you're here!

"Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started here in August of 2016. I have seen only positive things come from this company. They really do a great job at showing appreciation to their employees, from providing amazing benefits (4 weeks vacation in first year), to offering Crossfit during the summer to their employees, to hosting amazing Employee Appreciation events. They are flexible with working from home and I have nothing but amazing things to say about my wonderful manager who is extremely relatable and really is there to assist me and understands the work that I do. That makes a huge difference. I am happy to come into work and my whole department is full of positive people that I truly like working with.

Cons

No downsides that I have seen so far

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Jun 15, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Premera's wonderful employees are what make this such a unique and meaningful place to work. We couldn't be more excited that you're off to such a positive start and look forward to all that you will... More

"Found my final job"

Current Employee - Persona Health Support Clinician in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Persona Health Support Clinician in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Leadership is supportive, encouraging and keep us well informed
    + Since Jeff Roe has become CEO, the corporate values are influencing what we do every day.
    + Good pay and benefits
    + Telecommute
    + Continued learning and professional training

Cons

+ We are still working on breaking down silos to improve our internal work experience
    + Telecommuters don't get all of the same opportunities as quickly as on campus employees. EX: Lean classes, Project Committees
    + From the bottom of the pyramid there appears to be an excessive amount of management
    + Technology department is not as agile enough to keep up with our needs

Advice to Management

Please continue to lead following our values.

Jun 13, 2017 – Director IHM Clinical Programs

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We appreciate that you see influence from Premera's values and hope that you find even more clarity in our direction from the recent imperatives communication... More

"Great company"

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great, lots of growth, pretty transparent, good pay, good communication, good support, telecommuting options within many positions. Premera cares about their customers and we are all customers.

Cons

Bring your lunch! Food is mediocre at best! Medical coverage (insurance) is only OK. Continue expanding telecommuting, if it is an option then it should be approved.

Advice to Management

Let go of the old school ways of doing things. Accept new ideas and try not to be so bossy.

Jun 14, 2017 – Vice President, Operations

First, thank you for all you do to support our customers. You are absolutely right - our employees and support teams are the very best. When it comes to telecommuting, this can be more feasible in... More