Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

Premera Blue Cross Reviews

Updated June 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • very supportive of work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• They have good benefits including a pension (in 34 reviews)

Cons

"Great People, Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Company really cares about the people they serve and making heath care affordable and finding quality.

Cons

Could offer more vacation and PTO time

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent about the ever-changing market place.

May 18, 2017 – Vice President, Operations

You touch on a topic that is really important - work-life balance and time away to rejuvenate. Premera employees start by accruing 4 weeks of Paid Time Off per year. This accrual increases with years ... More

"Decent place to work in health insurance"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good work-life balance. Started focusing more on customers than ever. Started appreciating employees more frequent.

Cons

tangled with legacy systems and hard to bring any valuable change sooner for customers.

Advice to Management

Lure more talented folks to join.

"Great Company, Exciting Time to Be Part of the Industry"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting to be part of a health plan at a time with so much change in the health care industry, and a great opportunity to be part of the positive change Premera is trying to have in this space. Flexible work schedules (working from home, telecommuting, etc.), very supportive of work-life balance. They show a lot of employee appreciation through fun events, rewards, tuition reimbursement programs and annual bonuses based on company performance. They are very supportive of inter-company transfers so there is a lot of opportunity to advance and / or try new things. Premera is also very active in the community with a lot of fundraising events and community service opportunities.

Cons

Because of all the change in the industry right now, there is constant change at Premera. There is uncertainty in the future for health plans right now and that will result in uncertainty around your career here.

May 22, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing that you find value in Premera benefits, opportunities, and community involvement. We couldn't agree more, it IS an exciting time! Thank you for coming along for the journey. ... More

"Stop talking and do the right thing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I believe the employees at Premera really do care. We care for the customer, we care for our co-workers and most of us really do want to improve lives by making healthcare work better. And that is what keeps most of us coming back. The people, the purpose.

Cons

We try. We are told we are empowered, that we have a voice. But do we really? At first I thought so and I really did feel empowered to help transform the company and culture. But the longer I am here, the longer I feel like I am only listened to when I agree with upper management. Diversity of thought is openingly welcomed, but like that annoying friend on Facebook who posts how awesome her life is only to get a divorce, it is all superficial.

Upper management talks a big talk, but I don't think they really want to change. They feel they are already right.

I truly do like it here and want to stay so I hope things change.

Advice to Management

You are not always right. Your ideas are not always the best. You hire employees who live our purpose and values so let them. Quit talking about it, quit asking for opinions because you think that is what will empower employees and drive culture change. If you don't really want to change and transform that is okay, just be honest and tell us you know what is right. Because pretty soon unless you want Premera to turn into a submissive culture of Stepford Wives, we will soon know you are not listening and we will go to other employers where our opinions are valued and we get to put our ideas and thoughts to work.

May 22, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

What makes Premera a great place to work is the people who live and breath our values each day. You're absolutely right, Premera employees care about the customer and their co-workers. As an ... More

"People focus"

Current Employee - Account Specialist in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Account Specialist in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are amazing - medical, dental, vision, Life, Disability, AD&D, mostly company paid. Very little cost to the employee. A raise every year depending on performance review. Company as a whole is very focused on making the employees feel appreciated.

Cons

Politics among internal departments and subsidiaries can be frustrating.

May 19, 2017 – Sales Director, Eastern WA Market

We are happy to hear you find the benefits to be meaningful. It is important that we take care of Premera employees, just as we do our customers. Premera employees are our greatest asset!

"Workers remose"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

close to home and flexible work schedules

Cons

I would not recommend this company to anyone. In the few years that I have been there I have witness a lot of discrimination as well as unfair hiring and firing practice. Leadership does not care about your knowledge, skills or experience. They are more concerned with your personality. They are now making personality testing part of the hiring process. I have seen people hired and/or promoted for positions that they weren’t qualified for over people who were just because someone didn’t like them. Leadership seems to cater to the younger employees more, especially if you are lucky enough to have small kids. Everything seems to center around these younger employees.

Advice to Management

Instead of blaming the employees for the horrible culture try blaming the leadership who are unfair and bias in their dealings. The turnover is horrible!!! You fire people so randomly that I am scared to invest or spend any of my hard earn money for fear of being fired at any moment because some manager doesn't like me. It sucks!

May 25, 2017 – Director, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. While it’s disappointing to read your review, we’d like the opportunity to continue the conversation regarding your perspective and the concerns ... More

"Big Pros and big cons"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I rated Premera a 3 on 5 scale. However that 3 is the average of some really great pros and some really bad cons. On the pro side, Premera tends to value work life balance. I rarely work more than 40h/week and management is usually good at not overloading you with work and respect your life. Premera also has great health benefits and essentially no out of pocket contributions to your monthly premiums. The campus is great and if you work north of Seattle and hate your current commute to downtown, Premera is a great solutions. The company is also in the middle of a revolution that puts customer front and center. That's exciting and interesting but that's where the pain points come into place (see cons section).

Cons

While Premera leadership has subscribed to the new "member centered" mentality and Amazon-like "customer obsession", that vision doesn't naturally translate to a layer of old fashioned directors, and middle management. These people have done the same thing for 20+ years and are mostly in "retirement" mode, and have no real incentives to change. From a technological perspective all the legacy systems prevent adoption of technology driven personalization of member experience. The website is one of the worst out there, and most vendors Premera has historically worked with have created complex and inflexible solutions that prevent progress. The legal department is still so paranoid about everything that "no" is the default answer to innovation.

Advice to Management

Sometimes fresh blood is the only way to drive change. Get rid of people who cannot (or do not want to) adapt and replace with thought leaders from other industries. Start thinking about Premera as a technology company that sells insurance instead of an insurance company with an IT department.

"Product Configuration Auditor"

Current Employee - Product Config Audit in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Product Config Audit in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some work from home, semi flexible schedule- set own hours, good pay, 401k, medical benefits -currently offer PPO & HSA plans.

Cons

Limited PTO allowed November through January, constant change can result in rework, systems & tools do not meet needs (improving)

"Run Away and Don't Look Back!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some truly caring and compassionate people at Premera who really are trying to make healthcare work better.

Cons

Poor leadership, underfunded projects and a vague company purpose make it difficult to get things done. The "do more for less" attitude is prevalent. There's a lot of greed at the top tiers of leadership. The Let's Be Clear initiative to simplify language for customers and employees is great. Premera's senior leaders should take a lesson. Create some easily understood company goals and regularly refer back to them. You can't just keep saying "Improve customers' lives, yadda, yadda ..." HOW?! How are you going to do that? Lay out some projects, build in milestones, share those things with EVERYONE. Cascading the company strategy through one email to certain leaders isn't particularly effective. Oh, and for God's sake, provide coffee for your employees. Give me a break. How cheap can you be?!

Advice to Management

Take a look at how your premiere customers treat their employees. If you want to improve, you're going to need to attract some top-tier talent, and working at Premera isn't very appealing where things currently stand. The way you treat your customer service employees and other hourly employees is appalling. The fact they're not entitled to earn a bonus is terribly demoralizing. You talk about how important these employees are, but then treat them as a lower class. It's shameful.

Apr 7, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

We are sorry to hear that your experience with Premera is not what you would have hoped. Premera's values, purpose, and game plan are communicated regularly through many platforms including ... More

"SR CSR"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people we work with are amazing, good perks like working from home. Company perks like gift cards. Wellness program incentives.

Cons

High stress with unrealistic stats expectations, even if it is something like a system issue that is out of your control it still negatively impacts your stats, Which does not reflect the culture and values they are preaching. Micro management, and high stress environments can some times lead to short tempers. Certain locations have significantly more growth opportunities than others. Also each year the amount company contributes to benefits decreases, soon we will be on a high deductible health plan with no employer contribution. Amount they contribute to 401k, and wellness program incentives have decreased and become more difficult to manage.

Advice to Management

If you want to maintain knowledgeable staff, that represent your company and provide your members with exceptional service, you need to keep them happy.

May 18, 2017 – Vice President, Customer Service

Thank you for taking the time to provide your insight. As an organization we are always looking for ways to provide quality care at an affordable rate, while also being stewards of the costs ... More