Premera Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor

Premera Blue Cross Reviews

Updated September 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • very supportive of work-life balance (in 74 reviews)

• They have good benefits including a pension (in 35 reviews)

"Great company"

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great, lots of growth, pretty transparent, good pay, good communication, good support, telecommuting options within many positions. Premera cares about their customers and we are all customers.

Cons

Bring your lunch! Food is mediocre at best! Medical coverage (insurance) is only OK. Continue expanding telecommuting, if it is an option then it should be approved.

Advice to Management

Let go of the old school ways of doing things. Accept new ideas and try not to be so bossy.

Jun 14, 2017 – Vice President, Operations

First, thank you for all you do to support our customers. You are absolutely right - our employees and support teams are the very best. When it comes to telecommuting, this can be more feasible in... More

"Have had a great time"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people, professional development opportunities, flexibility, mid-management and vision toward the customer are what keep me excited about working here. Fantastic CEO with a powerful vision.

Cons

Leadership is not aligned on a single north star. Also not great acknowledgement of recent cultural impacts with layoffs and business decisions.

Advice to Management

Pretty please, get on the same page of what it means to be customer-centric. You have a lot of employees that are energized toward this shift, but you all need to walk the talk and be on the same page.

Jun 15, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

We love to see that you're having a great time with Premera and that you're aligned with our purpose and vision around the customer! We are always working to improve and hope that recent... More

"Employment"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Premera has a great training program for new hires in customer service. They offer an extensive 12 week hands on training and explain things about the company from the ground up. They definitely take the time to make sure your ready to go once you hit the floor and take live calls.
    Premera appreciates their employees and will show you with special "gifts".

Cons

Once on the customer service floor, the job performanace metrics take place. You are expected to use break time as the only time away from your desk. Your constantly listened to and judged how well you've done on your calls. I understand the need for this, however it seems like they spend way too much time telling you how you handle your calls.
    They threw 4 new lines of business after our class was done, and we were expected to know everything with just 2-4 hours of class. It was hard to keep up with taking calls for several lines of business.

Jun 14, 2017 – Vice President, Customer Service

We appreciate you taking the time to provide a review of your time in Customer Service. We are always looking to find ways to continue to improve our processes. This is especially true when it comes... More

"Not all management is crated equal"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Care Representative in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Care Representative in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, decent benefits, telecommuting, fair wages and great initial training.

Cons

If you are lucky enough to get a supervisor that knows what they are doing and knows how to be a supervisor you will do well. However, if you get one of the many supervisors that should not be in the role...good luck. I watched one team get fired one by one because that supervisor didn't lime those people. She made things up with out offering proof or following co.pany policy. People used to have opportunities to correct mistakes but those pros were nor afforded that opportunity. They say are culture is changing, and I agree, but for the worse.

Advice to Management

Listen to you ethics line. Don't solicit reviews fo this site. Quit letting bad supervisors get rid of good employees with unfair terminations

Jul 14, 2017 – VP, Customer Service

We appreciate you sharing that you find Premera's compensation, benefits, and training valuable.

Coaching and development of Premera employees is vital to both the employee and the organizations... More

"CALL CENTER CSR"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Coworkers, PAID TIME OFF!

Cons

None at this time! This company is great to work for!

May 18, 2017 – Vice President, Customer Service

Your role is critical to the success of our purpose. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and especially large thanks for the great work you do to serve our customers every day!

"Style over substance"

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The coworkers are wonderful. If you only had to deal with your peers, this would be a good place to work.
    - Management is starting to look at how to improve trust and overall culture, but the changes are slow in coming with little evidence of completion

Cons

- Date over quality driven (dates to meet executive bonus goals are emphasized over delivering a quality solution)
    - Management wants to look good rather than emphasize good work
    - Employees are reminded regularly that this is an "at will" company (emphasizing that we should be grateful for our jobs)
    - More money is spent on developing brand image than on most operational team salaries
    - Trust is low above your peers
    - Problems are met with buzzwords and catchphrases rather than solutions
    - Issues/problems are not raised (or are whitewashed) because it would be contrary to our image

Advice to Management

Live the words. If you are letting people go because we are under a budget crunch, don't spend money recklessly on "pet" programs. Look to the employees and their well-being as much as you look at your own reputation. If an employee is well-taken care of, they will care better for our customers.

May 22, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Especially regarding staffing changes and restructuring that has taken place over the last 18 months. Organizational changes are challenging for many reasons... More

"3 months in...a Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+Collaboration. It's rare to find a company this size that is willing to collaborate--not only in a functional area, but across functions as well.
    +Titles do not get in the way of doing your job.
    +The campus is pretty cool and the food service is surprisingly good.
    +"Premera Nice" is a real thing.
    +Recruiting was phenomenal.
    +Easy commute from Kirkland/Bothell area

Cons

-Pay is a little lower than market value
    -I get the sense that employees are "under titled".

Advice to Management

Continue on the path of hiring new people outside of healthcare. It brings new ideas and new thinking. This company is big enough to do some damage, but small enough to out-maneuver the big players. Play this card.

May 22, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

We are thrilled to hear that your career with Premera is off to a great start. Collaboration is a huge part of living our values (Working Together!) and making healthcare work better. To continue our... More

"Technical Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Technical in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Technical in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Premera is an excellent company to work for! I have been here over 10 years, Premera goes out of it's way to do the right thing for their members. I have stayed so long because of the integrity of the company. They take care of their members and also take care of the employees!! The benefits are awesome, and the atmosphere and culture of the company make working here very pleasant!

Cons

Some of the lower level managers can be a little micro-managing, and don't do the best job of leading.

Advice to Management

Make more of an effort to gain from the experience of the people doing the work.
    Be a leader, not just a boss.

May 18, 2017 – Vice President, Operations

Your thoughtful feedback is appreciated. As is your tenured commitment to the hard work you do each day. Thank you!

"Making a difference"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the constantly changing IT environment, it can be difficult to find purpose for coding a new widget or managing a small team of unique individuals to build another server. At Premera, I can directly associate the work that I do to the end customer of the product. I like working for a not-for-profit company, that really has its client's best interests at the center of what they do. Health Insurance is a money game. Health Care is a people business, and I believe Premera is in the people business. I'm proud to work here, and always excited about the next big thing we can do to get people the care they need, at a price that is as affordable as possible.

Cons

With massive changes in the HealthCare industry, if you aren't willing to be flexible and come along for the ride, you may feel left behind.

Jun 29, 2017 – Director, IT Management

Thank you for the meaningful work you do each day! Keeping the customer at the center of all we do brings meaning to our work and we are happy to hear that's your experience. Healthcare is a people... More

"Not a bad place to work at"

Former Employee - IT Professional in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many people are able to telecommute. They are given the tools to do so effectively. The company VPN is reliable and easy to use.
    At the Mountlake Terrace campus there is on-site food service that is good.
    Premera stresses wellness for employees and provides opportunities to become healthier.

Cons

Managers don't seem to last very long (in IT at least.)

Jun 29, 2017 – Director, IT Management

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback!