Premier, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Premier, Inc. President & CEO Susan DeVore
Susan DeVore

Pros
  • Amazing management/leadership within Population Health, team and work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Great people, great compensation package (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance isn't always easy to maintain (in 31 reviews)

• Since going public, it been clear that all they care about now it their bottom line (in 6 reviews)

1. "Sr. Performance Partner"

Current Employee - Senior Performance Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Performance Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people work at Premier at all levels. It is difficult to create a work environment that is somewhat team and almost family oriented when the majority of people are remote. There is a vast amount of data and opportunity at your finger tips.

Cons

We are striving very hard to be innovative but we get in our own way and fear new ideas due to the toll it would take to change to accommodate them. Premier is so very complex there are silos in our different divisions. We try to break them when we should just try to set up methods to facilitate support between them.

Advice to Management

When someone goes out of their way to be innovative be sure the idea is given a true chance. You just be supportive of those stepping beyond their typical job responsibilities to make things better. Find a way to recognize those that are spending time to innovate even if their idea doesn't turn out.

"Contract Administrator"

Current Employee - Contract Administrator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Contract Administrator in New York, NY

I have been working at Premier, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair Pay, Fair Work. I work in the NY office (Which was recently bought out by Premier Inc). Good work-life balance overall.

Cons

Don't really invest in their Employees, their Insurance plan SUCKS. Can be slow at times... Entry-Level Employees don't experience much growth.

Advice to Management

Focus on making your Employees learn skills that are useful outside of your company as well. Especially for Entry Level Employees who got hired straight after college, perhaps give them opportunities to explore different parts of the company.

3. "GREAT Company, Mission Driven, In Transition"

I have been working at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and a great vision. Strong portfolio of solutions that are differentiated in the market

Cons

growing pains since IPO, need to get out of our own way sometimes to break through

Advice to Management

planning and alignment, and not jumping to the latest shinny object and losing focus.

5. "Felt lost after company went public"

Former Employee - Technical Product Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Product Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility in being able to work remote when needed, decent yearly bonus, nice employee recognition program, on-site fitness offerings for free

Cons

Once Premier went public and started acquiring companies, I feel it definitely lost a lot of what I came there for. I no longer felt like part of the team, and often felt confused about my role in the organization. I also was expected to bring employees from a newly acquired company into the Premier fold, and was given absolutely no direction as to how to do that; so, I totally winged it. Constant re-organizations and down-sizing left me feeling afraid for my own job.

Advice to Management

If employees are truly important in the eyes of management, then they need to be given proper training, be allowed opportunities for growth, and be assimilated into the culture of Premier in appropriate ways.

6. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great compensation package...Very big on work life balance

Cons

No Cons. Its a joy to work here

"Great culture, important mission, inspiring CEO"

Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation and flexibility. it feels like the core values of a passion for performance, innovation, a focus on people, and integrity are truly believed/embraced by many employees. Encourages continuous learning and employee reward/recognition. CEO regularly reinforces the mission of reducing the cost and improving the quality of healthcare.

Cons

Still figuring out how to operate as a public company - needs to find right balance of emphasizing financial performance and emphasizing mission. Lots of change, which can create a sense of confusion / lack of clear direction at times.

Advice to Management

Achieve better alignment and consistency within upper levels of management.

8. "No focus/concern on the patient"

Former Employee - Mid Level in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Mid Level in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good flexibility, great coworkers

Cons

While Premier is in the Healthcare industry, the focus is not on patient or patient care.

Advice to Management

Focus on living your corporate values.

9. "Numerous Opportunities for Advancement"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With the incredible growth over the past few years, Premier has continued hiring at an exponential rate, and if a department doubles in size, that means you need another supervisor, another manager, etc. and so that creates a lot of opportunity for growth & advancement.

Cons

No complaints, it's been a very enjoyable 2 years and I've been provided a lot of opportunity.

10. "Not super impressed with Human Resources"

Current Employee - Director in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Director in Remote, OR

I have been working at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like my boss very much. Also the company seems to do a great deal for onsite staff (I am remote).

Cons

Premier has been on multiple top employer of the year lists in prior years so I anticipated great benefits and an employee focus. However the package was not impressive. PTO is less - sick time is awarded - all in all I've been underwhelmed. In addition job titles do not necessarily align with job responsibilities-I've been told this several times - makes the career ladder confusing.

Advice to Management

Review employee benefits - to retain the caliber of staff (who keep Premier at the top of the list per KLAS) to attract talent you need to do better than the average. To retain your talent review benefits package - they are easily able to match or exceed benefits/opportunity consequently Premier is at risk of a slow drift of talent to its competitors.

11. "Lack of leadership, inconsistent management policies"

Current Employee - IT Staff in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Your team members are the ones to count on and are great to work with. It is the person you work beside that make it ok to be here.

Cons

Depending on who you get for a manager, you will either like it or not.
    There is no consistency across the company as it relates to working from home and yet are expected to be on call and work from home if there is a problem during off business hours. You have people promoted to managers who are left to figure it out and the staff under them pay the price. You have managers who have policies for one or two staff and different ones for others. HR says they have an open door to help work to resolve issues between employees and managers but do nothing to resolve the issues and just say work it out with your manager and leave the employee hanging. Career paths are very limited and there are not many opportunities to move around.

Advice to Management

Prior to going public, we had leadership that cared about the staff. We had leadership that made people feel like we were a team, now we don't. We had leadership with vision and would roll up there sleeves with the teams and be there for them, now we do not. Show more leadership.