Premier, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Premier, Inc. President & CEO Susan DeVore
Susan DeVore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Dynamic organization with a good work-life balance" (in 27 reviews)

• "Great people work at Premier at all levels" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is absolutely non existent" (in 36 reviews)

• "Many good people have left because of this culture change since going public" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fast-moving, leading edge of healthcare industry. Strong industry knowledge and leadership throughout organization. Lots of employee engagement and involvement.

Cons

Suffering the same pains of all new public companies, tough to balance revenue with mission. Constant reorganization.

Advice to Management

Streamline message between clinical and financial stakeholders.

2. "Demanding and Fair"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Premier, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers and company truly care for well being of employees. Good review process. Time and discounts for well being are a plus. Support of employees is top notch.

Cons

Demanding but rewarding. Sometimes the requirements can stretch the boundaries. Rapid growth can stretch existing employees. Too many meetings can/do slow progress.

3. "Good benefits, great people"

Current Employee - Senior Solution Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Solution Analyst

I have been working at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great people to work with, challenging and interesting work, focus on innovation, always feel like my opinion matters

Cons

Sometimes feel like there is little opportunity for upward mobility, ever since we went public the incentive plan hasn't paid as well

4. "Performance Partner"

I worked at Premier, Inc. full-time

Pros

the culture is inviting and supportive

Cons

the company is very bureaucratic

"Overall good company- however the pharmacies in Sharon hill and plantation are a very bad place to work"

I worked at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Premier as the parent company offers amazing benefits, great resources and is an overall great place to work. Great 401K, and insurance.

Cons

The 2 pharmacies (PA, and FL) are both managed by the absolute worst person(s). He (self proclaimed COO) has absolute no knowledge of how to run a pharmacy properly and is more focused on reprimanding and terminating employees over missed numbers than having a patient focused culture. Over the course of a year many employees have left due to the decline in culture. I was employed at one of these locations and I chose to leave because I refused to work under such incompetent management. If you are an employee, manager, VP, or any position the pay and benefits are not worth working at these pharmacies.

Advice to Management

Hire someone new to run the specialty pharmacies

6. "Data Analyst"

I have been working at Premier, Inc. full-time

Pros

-Relaxed work environment
    -In depth training
    -Opportunity to work from home and Flex Time
    -Encourages Quality Improvement

Cons

-Slow growth within the department

7. "Financial Systems Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work remotely is a definite plus!

Cons

Unfortunately working remotely can also separate you from management.

Advice to Management

Make sure your managers are keeping in touch with their staff.

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, caring management, and great teammates (all which may vary by team and department), benefit options, wellness incentives, opportunities for growth and advancement, and opportunities to work remote

Cons

Office culture has changed a bit due to going public a few years ago

9. "Devolving culture"

I worked at Premier, Inc. full-time

Pros

There are many wonderful, smart, hard-working people at Premier who will bend over backwards for you. The company is in a good market with plenty of opportunity.

Cons

Culture and large pockets of very poor leadership (which in turn reflects poorly on exec leadership for not addressing). The review posted on Mar 7 is so spot-on in describing this, I was tempted to do a cut and paste. I'd add that micromanagement and blaming seems to be preferable over a "we're in this together" mentality with mutual accountability.

Advice to Management

I don't think management really listens to advice, so problems that have existed for years never get fixed and operations feel like an endless fire drill (and fire drills are great job security for mediocre managers rather than creating and executing thoughtful, permanent solutions).

"Unhealthy environment, very cliquey"

Current Employee - Software Architect in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Premier, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back (or is it really a pro for a mostly tech company?)

Cons

You can't just be an employee and do your job in Premier. You are either in the clique and have a happy job or you will be treated as a threat who should be excluded.

Let me explain... Just to give you an idea, majority of the company is a technology shop but it's generally behind the technology because the company grew from a small business into a public company and instead of hiring experienced technology leaders and enterprise architects the existing employees who had enough knowledge to deliver small applications, suddenly jumped from leading a small team to become a manager and then director in a short span of time.

The incompetence then cascaded to lower layers as they avoid hiring strong knowledgeable engineers and managers and instead keep their clique or hire more people like them to keep the clique going.

This causes a very unhealthy environment. This is probably why companies like Google are so sensitive about hiring weak/incompetent employees because the impact of one bad employee can quickly cascade to the new hires.

When I left the company, the manager kept my personal stuff for more than 2 months that also after sending messages to my team members to ask him to release them but only after I sent an email to an HR manager and told them that it was against the law to keep my personal belongings, they released them.

So, if you think you are a person who can conform to a whispering, cliquey gossiping environment, you belong to this company. Otherwise, stay away from them and try to find a better company. Especially if you are a competent software engineer, I strongly advice to look somewhere else. Even Bank of America is better than here.

One more thing to know is that the company will promise bonus and raise which is not capable of materializing. Last year they misses their target, this year they made loss and we had teams that were sent to Furlough (forced vacation without pay) for one full month in December 2017.

Good luck.

Advice to Management

My advice to the executives is to have a plan to refresh the middle / mid-high level management staff, hire strong enterprise architects and directors who are not ex-sql-developers or technically clueless people who impose their technically awful decisions to the teams when they should instead listen to them and support and enable them.

This may be one of the important reasons that the company misses targets and cuts bonus and raise from the smart and hard working employees.