Premier Research Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Premier Research Chief Executive Officer Ludo Reynders
Ludo Reynders

Pros
  • There are some really great people there (in 7 reviews)

• Good people, good locations, good opportunities (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the last major change in upper management, this company really tries hard to cut corners (in 10 reviews)

• Line managers are quick to play favorites, and tend to be passive-aggressive in their behavior when challenged (in 6 reviews)

1. "Clinical Manager"

Current Employee - Clinical Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Premier Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Based on my experience Premier has a positive, collaborative culture although this varies based on your specific manager. Some systems have been upgraded which is helpful.

Cons

The workload can be very heavy and the expectation that teams will do more with less can be very frustrating. Opportunities for advancement are limited ad compensation is lower than other CROs.

Advice to Management

Address compensation issues to retain employees. Invest in your employees who have invested in your organization. Provide meaningful growth opportuniities.

2. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Premier Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A decent job. Nice employees who enjoy their clients and how we contribute to helping others. Good people. Nice office.

Cons

C suite needs work. One dept. loves drama and stirs it up regularly. We have work to do. All have dominant personalities.

Advice to Management

Clean out those who cause drama.

"Clinical Manager/MRA"

Former Employee - Clinical Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Clinical Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Premier Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team was great; did not micro-manage; great support

Cons

Working for their client Boehringer Ingelheim was beyond challenging. Huge Micro-managers. All of their systems were a nightmare.

Advice to Management

NA

"Pretty much a roller coaster"

Current Employee - Project Management/SSU in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Management/SSU in Austin, TX

I have been working at Premier Research full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- The pay is (now!) competitive, and raises are (now!) regular for some departments and positions (although not all).
    - It's a great place to get your feet wet in the research industry.
    - You can gain a lot of experience at many different types of studies.
    - Many of the US-based team managers are really good at their jobs (CMs, PMs) and are fun to work with.
    - They really do make attempts to foster a sense of community.
    - Benefits are decent.
    - There is a pervading positive feeling about working at the company, despite its issues.
    - There are some really great people there...I made several lifelong friends out of the experience.

Cons

- This company underwent a huge restructuring a few years back, and the employees paid for it. They changed people's positions and roles, re-assigning employees and relegating them to new positions without asking for their preferences.
    - There was, and remains, little appreciation/recognition for expertise of longtime employees. This company has been all too willing to let people go (I witnessed 4 mass layoffs over the 10 years I was there, and that was not pretty). Nowadays, employees are turned loose or encouraged to quit if they don't fit the newly redesigned "mold" of the newly redefined positions.
    - Line managers are quick to play favorites, and tend to be passive-aggressive in their behavior when challenged. Ultimately, they are not experienced at doing the job for which they are supposedly providing guidance.
    - In the Project Management and Start-up departments, the condescension from line managers and department heads is palpable; they literally treat their employees like children. New employees are hired at entry level positions with low pay and are babied, coddled and flattered with a forced "aren't we having FUN now, kids?" attitude. More experienced or senior employees undergo general indifference, petty attacks, gossip behind their backs, and subtle devaluations at the hands of their line managers...yet are absolutely expected to pick up the slack for the new employees' lack of training by those line managers.
    - Managers of the Project Management and SSU departments make feeble, insincere attempts to solicit people's opinions on team calls, while strongly discouraging one's opinion on 1:1 calls.
    - There is a general discouragement of moving between departments & achieving promotions within the company. Most who do manage to transition have to go through an arduous, challenging struggle just to get "approval" to make the move. Many do not succeed at breaking through these walls...so they leave.
    - For those employees who weathered years of internal changes, there is a pervading air of "just deal with it" when it comes to facing problems that the managers themselves have created.
    The majority of EU-based project managers are only experienced in their own area of residence. This inexperience creates problems when managing global teams and studies, and causes these inexperienced managers to either lean too heavily on their other country counterparts (creating more work for support members), or ignore them and their opinions entirely, thereby jeopardizing the study.
    - Development of new systems and processes are inefficient and are now so micromanaged that everyone does the job the same way, yet no one does the job well. All studies are not alike and there is no consideration for that.
    - The longer I stayed, the less valued I felt. The last year or two I was there, there were frequent, blatant discussions of how many people were "jumping ship."By the time I myself left, I was more than happy to walk that plank.

Advice to Management

Senior Mgmt: Solicit opinions from the employees who actually do the work, not their line managers. Actively seek out employee reviews of their line managers. You'd be astonished at what you discover. There's a lot of mistreatment, favoritism, and downright discrimination. Please try and care about that.
    Line managers: Metrics are not the be-all and end-all, no matter how much pressure you're under. Also: Simplifying processes and removing independent decision-making actually only makes desk monkeys, not good employees.

6. "Great Place to Become a Valued Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

Great Company culture! Exciting time to join, doing a lot of growth and positive changes happening. Company is perfect size to feel valued and be able to make an impact as well!

Cons

I didn't start working here soon enough!

"Full Time Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Premier Research (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and PTO. Flexible working hours.

Cons

All time needs to be billed/accounted for in timesheet system. Pay is below market value.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Premier Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Premier Research is smaller than other CROs I worked for which allows people to really make a difference. When I worked for larger CROs I felt like my ideas didn't matter and it was tough to make an impact or be noticed.

Cons

Some of the systems were a bit antiquated however there has been a recent investment in technology so this con is being addressed.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering people within the organization. We have a lot of smart people with great ideas. Keep up the good work!

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Premier Research (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work; fosters team environment; embraces the mobile device and social media age; pay could have been better.

Premier Research, formerly known as SCIREX, owned two dedicated clinical research centers. For 10 years, I managed the marketing and patient recruitment for these sites. There were times during my 10-year career at Premier that we owned four clinical research sites, so the job was demanding. The medical and vacation benefits were great - I was already accumulating up to 5 weeks of vacation per year by the time I was laid off.

Soon after the company hired a new VP Operations, the decision was made to close the clinical research centers and laid off all of the employees; although the rest of the company is still in operation. Companies make these type of restructuring decisions all the time and I received a decent severance package. I felt it was a good time to make a change.

Cons

I did not have any support staff and management never approved a request for a dedicated PTE to help ease the workload. Sometimes had to work 50-55 hours/week.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Premier Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to get hired. If you need a job apply here. The recruiting process is easy and not well managed.

Cons

CEO doesn't get rid of those who need to leave. Hire better and reward those who actually do their work and get rid of those who take credit for others work and do nothing.

Advice to Management

C Suite needs some professionalism. Arrogance is not needed or admired.

11. "Great"

Current Employee - Senior CRA in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior CRA in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Premier Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great family/work balance. Competitive salary, 2 floating holidays.... Wonderful benefits. PTO is a good balance, and they changed the rules so we are allowed to carry PTO over to the next year.

Cons

I have none to note.... My overall challenge is the average 7 day turn around for a trip report.... But it's still a standard turnaround timeframe